Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Do I Need Another Device?

I apologize to New Devices Addicts thread, but I wonder if I can justify another device.

Here is my justification. I have 2 android devices and a kindle (I know that is android, but it does things the normal android device can't do, and vice-versa). But there are two apps which are only available on Ois. Once is an automatic download of the Chicago Trib, and the other is an app that reads a knitting pattern to me. Seems a lot of $$ for two apps.

Should I buy a new mini, or go to ebay and buy an older, bigger model? Anyone who is an android afficiano and bought an ipad for their app store and either regrets it or thinks it is their best purchase ever? Or is this just a really weak justification?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I apologize to New Devices Addicts thread, but I wonder if I can justify another device.

Here is my justification. I have 2 android devices and a kindle (I know that is android, but it does things the normal android device can't do, and vice-versa). But there are two apps which are only available on Ois. Once is an automatic download of the Chicago Trib, and the other is an app that reads a knitting pattern to me. Seems a lot of $$ for two apps.

Should I buy a new mini, or go to ebay and buy an older, bigger model? Anyone who is an android afficiano and bought an ipad for their app store and either regrets it or thinks it is their best purchase ever? Or is this just a really weak justification?
Had Android devices first but had the chance to get an iPad 4 cheaply (mainly part-ex) and now use iPad more than Nexus 7 (wife uses it mainly as I also have a Note 3) plus got a mini to carry in pocket. Newspaper sub easier and more comfortable to use on iPad plus great for magazines (and comics) as well as PDFs...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Anyone who is an android afficiano and bought an ipad for their app store and either regrets it or thinks it is their best purchase ever? Or is this just a really weak justification?
It was the other way around for me. My first tablet was an iPad, and then I switched to Android (I like to have current hardware, and with Apple, that is more expensive than I felt comfortable with). I have never regretted it and was able to find replacement for all my frequently used apps.

As for your dilemma -- well, I tend to get like this with musical instruments. For a while now, I have been into kalimbas. First, I wanted a treble one in G major, then I was curious about the alto model, also in G major. Then, next, I wanted an African tuned one, with a different layout. After that, I read about a chromatic kalimba, so, I bought one of those also, #4. And now I have my eyes on a G minor tuned instrument that sounds so lovely and would enrich my life tremendously! (I am waiting a month, however!) Each of them cost as much as a better e-ink reader ($150).

Do I need all of these? Nope. Neither did I need three ukuleles instead of one. I could have re-tuned the kalimbas, and saved money, but .. at the end of the day, I work so that I can afford "nice stuff" that I enjoy, even if it's not economical and even reasonable. Usually with these kinds of expenses the choice is between getting one thing that is not essential or getting another thing that is equally not essential.

Or in short: If you want it and you'll enjoy it, get it!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
I think you would love the mini! But if you get one, do get the new one with retina. I bought the Nexus 7 a few months ago and returned it. I prefer the proportions of the mini, the ease of use (for me). And it just works. And smoothly. Plus one of the biggest things for me, the battery life is great. I have the Kindle Fire hdx and had the Nexus and was very disappointed in the battery life of both. I still have the Kindle and use it, but I have to plug it in all the time. I have found it is better if on airplane mode and put to sleep in mid book (regardless of the fact I am not using it for reading). And even though you may not be getting the mini for reading, I think you will find that it is quite delicious to read on. Go for it! But the new one not the older one (I had that too and it is good, I loved its form but the difference in screen for reading is significant).

Last edited by Carmelreader; 02-05-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My thoughts, it is a lot of money for two apps.

But if you have the money, it doesn't impact your ability to pay other bills, save for something important, prevent you from taking the vacation that you want, then go for it.

I love my iPad. I bought an iPad after much teeth nashing because there were more of the board games that I play (Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Stone Age, Agricola, and the like) available on OIS then Android. It is getting better but there are still more and they are normally first released on OIS.

Now I am tied to Apple because I am not going to repurchase those apps on Android.

If I get a new device, I will update the iPad. I might get the Little Man an Android of some sort in a few years and have a LM partition and a Mom partition but who knows. By then, we might all be using something else.

My decision right now is to buy an iPod Touch or not. I don't need an iPhone (I don't want the data plan and barely use my non-smart phone as it is) but I want something a bit smaller that I can carry with me in my purse. I would go with Apple because a lot of my apps are universal and I won't have to rebuy them. I don't carry my iPad with me because I can't use it at work so there is no point in having it with me. Then again, it would be nice to have something to pull out at Starbucks if I stop and want to have some coffee and play a game.

Also, I get the feeling that I can get a tougher case that is good for protecting a Touch when being handled by a 19 month olf. LM has figured out how to turn on the iPad, open it, get to his folder, and open his apps. And we let him use the iPad maybe 30 minutes a week. (sigh)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
First of all, make sure there are no New Devices Addicts here!

Because my answer would be the one that you'll be getting:
Naturally! Any new device is good!

But in all honesty... Did you try to find one refurbished or secondhand?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Oops.

Busted.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Because my answer would be the one that you'll be getting:
Naturally! Any new device is good!

But in all honesty... Did you try to find one refurbished or secondhand?
Yeah! Get one! Get one! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

I'd love a good quality, reasonably priced android tablets with the dimensions of the ipad Mini.

Last edited by booklover6; 02-05-2014 at 09:57 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:

I use to own an iPod Touch and had lots of apps from the App Store. I now have an Android phone and an Android tablet. There were a couple of apps where I couldn't find the actual app or a suitable substitute in the Play Store. I loved those two apps but I don't really think buying an iPad Mini (old or Retina model) is worth it. One app was free as part of Starbucks App of the Week program and the other was only $2.99. Plus, those apps weren't necessary.

I guess you have to ask if you really need those two apps and if the iPad mini is worth it? I get the sense from your OP that the answer is no. If you really just want an iPad mini because you want one and you have the money to splurge, then you could just buy one. I mean how many of us need our tablets or e-readers? I certainly don't need my tablet but I love it just the same.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If the apps were available for Android would you pay $300-$400 for them?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:

I have an original iPad and the iPad 3 (with Retina screen); I would recommend a newer one that has the Retina screen. Also, I'm finding the older one more limiting with newer apps -- Apple is no longer supporting it and its OS will no longer be updated -- I used it almost exclusively for reading these days and I no longer stream video on it.

I'm not sure how big a deal automatic downloading is for you and I am surprised that the Android does not have a similar knitting app. If that is really all that you are looking to get one for, I would say that is probably not worth the extra expense, especially if you are going to continue to use your familiar Android tablets. An app or two is not enough to justify the cost, in my opinion.

However, I didn't even have a single app in mind when I bought my first iPad -- I wanted it just for photo sharing and video watching. (These days, I use my newest one for reading, web browsing, video streaming, and photo viewing/editing. Not much more than that. I wanted it because I heard it had an upgraded camera and, ironically, have never taken any pictures with it. I have scanned codes with it, to get to web content; it's definitely nice to have the camera on it.)

It really comes down to what *you* think makes it worth it to you. Good luck with your decision!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
From Google

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...knitting&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wCounter&hl=en

Another site with a list of android knitting apps.

http://knittingdragonflies.blogspot....droid-now.html

It's clear you are simply looking for justification to buy another gadget. If you can afford it, get it.

Last edited by cfrizz; 02-05-2014 at 02:23 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
If the apps were available for Android would you pay $300-$400 for them?
Excellent point!! No, I wouldn't.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks, everyone. I gave ya'all K. You saved me $500! When I was looking last night, I decided maybe an ipad air was better for reading. And then maybe I needed more memory. Luckily, the Apple Store was closed for the night. I bought a 128 GB SD card for my Lenovo Yoga. It occurred to me that that would be the best device to read it on, in tablet mode. And thanks for the knitting apps!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Now I am tied to Apple because I am not going to repurchase those apps on Android.
And in 10 years time, you will use a different device, with a different OS, and need to repurchase them for that device.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote