Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
How do I sync Glo and AuraHD?

Hi

I have been using my Glo mostly, but now I decided to start using my Aura HD frequently which brings the issue of keeping thr books and the shelves in sync between devices.

What is the best way to keep the shelves and everything else in sync between these 2 devices? I only use sideloaded books so online thing is not an option for me.

Can I just copy my .kobo folder between these 2?

I use Calibre as my library manager.

thanks

Last edited by exachillus; 01-08-2014 at 10:38 PM.
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Just copying the .kobo directory won't work. This contains the device database and any books purchased from Kobo. But, it doesn't contain the sideloaded books. Copying just the database might work if you have all the books on both devices in exactly the same place, but, I am not sure as I have never tried it.

But, you can do most of it through calibre. You would need to manually maintain the books on the device. If you keep all the books on the devices, it is easy. If you only have a subset, you need to work that out. The Reading List plugin would help with this.

For the shelves, the driver for the Kobo devices can automatically maintain them. When you connect, it updates them based on what you have in calibre.

For the reading status, my Kobo Utilities plugin can do it. You connect one device and sync it to the library, then do the same to the other. The store of the reading status from the device can be automated, but sending it to the other device is manual.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

@davidfor

Thanks for your reply. I now have a direction to take. I will post my progress here for others.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I do it regularly, with ease now thanks to the kobo utilities plugin. Since the glo has less space available than the aura, I created a specific column for location which I use also to manage all virtual libraries: I have one for Archived books (2400 today), two for the two persons whose reader I manage, one for the kobos, and one for the sony (which I keep for those few PDFs that don't convert well to epubs).
As an example, my tag for the kobos' virtual library is not "Sony!" and not "Archive", and when I want only those for the glo, I select those whose location is not Aura HD! (those ! are the maths "only") (just clicking twice on that location in the left-hand selection zone).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
exachillus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I do it regularly, with ease now thanks to the kobo utilities plugin. Since the glo has less space available than the aura, I created a specific column for location which I use also to manage all virtual libraries: I have one for Archived books (2400 today), two for the two persons whose reader I manage, one for the kobos, and one for the sony (which I keep for those few PDFs that don't convert well to epubs).
As an example, my tag for the kobos' virtual library is not "Sony!" and not "Archive", and when I want only those for the glo, I select those whose location is not Aura HD! (those ! are the maths "only") (just clicking twice on that location in the left-hand selection zone).
anacreon

Thanks for your reply. Do you copy those isolated/filtered ones manually to the devices?

Can the kobo utils tag files that are on the devices as them being on the device in Calibre`s original database automatically? Is it possible to know which books are on which devices by looking at the Calibre library (based on the last sync status)?
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
exachillus: calibre shows what books are on the device on when it is connected, but doesn't record this when it isn't connected. If you want this, you need to do it some other way. The same goes for sending the books. anacreon has described one way.

Another way is with the Reading List plugin. This is a way of creating lists. When a book is added to or removed from a list, a column can be updated. There are also some special lists. One of these will rebuild the list each time the device is connected. The list is remembered when the device is disconnected. You can also create "send on connect" lists. These will send the books to the device when it is connected. Both of these list types can be configured for a particular device. So, you can set up one for each reader.

There is also the SmartEject plugin. This is a button to eject the device. When you press it, it can check if all the books in the library are on the device. I think it can display the list of missing books, but I only use it for the convenience of having a separate eject button.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
exachillus
Banned

@davidfor

Awesome information, thanks for your help.