Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Blintok57
Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 -32g - Kobo Aura
airdroid-android apps. scary permissions

So been using my Nexus 7 for a couple of weeks and a samsung Galaxy Ace.

Was looking at installing AirDroid but read the permissions page on it first and it stopped me in my tracks. (AirDroid allows you to transfer files wirelessly)

AirDroid can send txt msgs without your permission. use the camera to record anything at any time without your knowledge. View and read any email. modify and delete files on your usb storage. prevent the device from sleeping. There is much more in detail if you read the page. too much to list here.

pretty scary when you read all that. its more like it is a virus app. Am i just being over cautious (paranoid?) i read some of the permissions on other apps (like google maps) and it has pretty much the same permission page.

so is AirDroid safe to use?
Blintok57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
It is safe. All those permission are required so airdroid can create connection to your PC and to access and modify data and files in your android phone from your PC.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok57 View Post
pretty scary when you read all that. its more like it is a virus app. Am i just being over cautious (paranoid?) i read some of the permissions on other apps (like google maps) and it has pretty much the same permission page.

so is AirDroid safe to use?
AirDroid is safe. But you are right to check the permissions apps request. Some developers list the permissions and why they need them, but most don't. If downloading from the Play Store, pretty much all apps are safe to use, though you have to keep an eye because every now and then somebody sneaks in some malware. Just use common sense.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
It's worth checking permissions since some ask for far more than they need.

AirDroid does need them though, it's essentially a remote control system for Android and needs access to those things so it can give you access to them from your PC.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Blintok57
Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 -32g - Kobo Aura
thanks everyone. i figured it was ok after i checked the google maps app permission and it was just as scary. so figured it was just standard disclaimer info. i guess the part about it using the camera at any time for any reason with out notice weirded me out. visions of some hacker spying on me
Blintok57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

Hey Blintok57
Using AirDroid is SAFE. Since it provide you feature to access, text, modify and much more from computer that is the reason why it needs this much permissions on your Android phone.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I always pause when I see "services that cost you money" 9 times out of 10 that's as far as I go. Airdroid I would presume is pretty safe and I can see why it would need a lot of permisions as it's basicly controlling your phone over wifi.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Yeah, the "services that cost you money" permission always catches me off guard and I go on a research journey to find out more.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote