Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Frey
Frey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo by Fnac
Reading HTML books in a browser

Hi everyone,

I've been using Calibre for a while now, and I'm quite happy with the majority of its features. However, there's something I can't find a way to do, even if it's quite simple: open an HTML book in my browser, from Calibre.

So, here's the story: I have some technical books that are published in both HTML and PDF formats, but I'd rather stick with the HTML one, because I'd rather read them in the browser (let's say its just more convenient for me). However, Calibre converts HTML files to ZIP when importing them, so my browser won't open them.

I saw some related threads in which it was said "use Calibre reader", but it's really not what I want to do, or "it's not the work of Calibre", but I don't agree with that: I need my software to gather all my books and let me open them in the format I want, as long as the format is available. What's the point of storing my books in Calibre if I can't read them from there?

So, what would you suggest?
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Have you tried clicking on the Path link in the Book Details pane, opening the compressed file, and clicking on the subsequent HTML file which should open in the browser?

(How many points do I get for a run-on sentence?)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Frey

Yeah, it's a way of doing it... But not very practical/satisfying.
One should not need to go into the library folders to open its book. Moreover, it's data in Calibre's library that Calibre doesn't know about.

But that is what I am currently doing.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Calibre *does* know about the data and displays it in the viewer. *You* don't want to use the viewer. I'd suggest you request an enhancement. Other than that, the program seems to work as designed.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been using Calibre for a while now, and I'm quite happy with the majority of its features. However, there's something I can't find a way to do, even if it's quite simple: open an HTML book in my browser, from Calibre.

So, here's the story: I have some technical books that are published in both HTML and PDF formats, but I'd rather stick with the HTML one, because I'd rather read them in the browser (let's say its just more convenient for me). However, Calibre converts HTML files to ZIP when importing them, so my browser won't open them.

I saw some related threads in which it was said "use Calibre reader", but it's really not what I want to do, or "it's not the work of Calibre", but I don't agree with that: I need my software to gather all my books and let me open them in the format I want, as long as the format is available. What's the point of storing my books in Calibre if I can't read them from there?

So, what would you suggest?
There is a preference for when to (not) use the internal viewer

You could also use the Open With plugin to configure alternate viewers for specific formats (Adobe is a default in the config)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Frey

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You could also use the Open With plugin to configure alternate viewers for specific formats (Adobe is a default in the config)
Interesting plugin, but this is not exactly what I want (), because what I need is an alternate format, not an alternate viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Calibre *does* know about the data and displays it in the viewer. *You* don't want to use the viewer. I'd suggest you request an enhancement. Other than that, the program seems to work as designed.
I was talking about the unzipped folder when speaking about "data which Calibre doesn't know about". Anyway, I gonna think on it and maybe follow your advice and suggest this as an enhancement.

Thank you for your suggestions and answers.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to preferences->plugins and disable the html to zip plugin, then calibre wont convert your html files to zip.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Frey

We're getting closer! Now, this trick works great when the book is in one single HTML file, however if it's a bunch of files it simply saves the file you gave it to import.

But, looking at the html to zip plugin, its behaviour is very close to what I would want. The only difference is the zip file creation after the gathering of all the ebook's html files.

So, what I would suggest is adding an option to this plugin to choose if we want to actually zip the files or put them in a single directory. The html format would then point to the index file (which path would be like %calibre_lib%/author/book/book - author - html/index.html).

Do you think that would be possible? Do you want me to create an enhancement request about this?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, its not possible. calibre manages files not book directories.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote