Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #2131
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool trunk...?!? "old" "good" books...?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Fill that trunk with some known "old" good reads while you wait. 15 or 20 years or more, maybe.
...er...that's not a trunk, but instead it's a somewhat large and unusual book containing a bottomless chamber...or a portal to one, instead of pages. Please further define "old" "good" books, possibly including a couple of examples? Oh, and thanks for the K!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #2132
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quoted from

NINE MORE DAYS! A few vital stats about the new book:

Currently, "James Potter and the Morrigan Web" is 185,000 words long (which amounts to about 550 pages in printed book form) and no, I am not done with it yet.

It introduces several all new characters, many of whom have been alluded to here (and whom I will introduce in a series of short excerpts shortly).

I haven't yet broken the book up into chapters, but I am confident that the initial release-- one chapter per day-- will cover a month's time. My apologies if this is your first experience with this: it's a bit of a tradition by now. It allows for loads of fun speculation and discussion between you and I as the story unfolds-- and I admit that I enjoy that immensely. Truly, if you have never experienced it before, it is a very unique and interactive literary experience.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I am already turning my attention toward the remainder of the series. I am considering writing just ONE MORE James Potter story. This is for several reasons, but the most important reason is this: I think that's what the story wants. I COULD drag the tale out for seven complete books, but I believe five is the right number.

If all goes as planned, the fifth and final book in the series will be called "James Potter and the Crimson Thread".

Thanks!! Been waiting for a while for this, now James Potter will go on my TBR (because I haven't read any of them but know from reputable sources that i'ts good.)

On that note,
Skin Game release date:
151 DAYS!

And Chosen will be out in
42 DAYS!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #2133
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quotes: Hello...anybody here...! beyond an audience’s reach.

Quote:
Fill that trunk with some known "old" good reads while you wait. 15 or 20 years or more, maybe.

Quote:
...er...that's not a trunk, but instead it's a somewhat large and unusual book containing a bottomless chamber...or a portal to one, instead of pages. Please further define "old" "good" books, possibly including a couple of examples? Oh, and thanks for the K!

Sorry. Perhaps that is one of those "you had to have been there, to understand."

In my youth, I was in the military service. We many times lived out of wooden or metal foot lockers (trunks would be the term most would recognize) at the foot of our bunk and duffles (canvas bags - check out the "Man of Steel" movie) tied or locked to the frame of the bed. They contained all we owned or used except for some "serial numbered issue items" that were sometimes locked in racks.

Your picture of the "book" and the man peering into it reminded me of that.
As for your: "define "old" "good" books, possibly including a couple of examples?" I was looking for something and saw a bin of Modesitt books that I read years ago, and I went through two of them again to answer a question in my mind about the history of the Recluse series.

... and you are welcome. Thank you for your efforts.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #2134
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Hmmm...

Quote:
Quotes: Hello...anybody here...! beyond an audience’s reach.

Quote:

Sorry. Perhaps that is one of those "you had to have been there, to understand."

In my youth, I was in the military service. We many times lived out of wooden or metal foot lockers (trunks would be the term most would recognize) at the foot of our bunk and duffles (canvas bags - check out the "Man of Steel" movie) tied or locked to the frame of the bed. They contained all we owned or used except for some "serial numbered issue items" that were sometimes locked in racks.

Your picture of the "book" and the man peering into it reminded me of that.
As for your: "define "old" "good" books, possibly including a couple of examples?" I was looking for something and saw a bin of Modesitt books that I read years ago, and I went through two of them again to answer a question in my mind about the history of the Recluse series.

... and you are welcome. Thank you for your efforts.
Hmmmm...I don't understand the part of the topmost line in the above quote that adds:

beyond an audience’s reach.

To the only line in my post which was:

Hello...anybody here...!

The book did, in fact, remind me of a trunk as well. In fact the trunk in which Mad-eye Moody was imprisoned in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. But the bottomless book was was perfect for use in a forum dedicated to reading books.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #2135
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The book did, in fact, remind me of a trunk as well. In fact the trunk in which Mad-eye Moody was imprisoned in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. But the bottomless book was was perfect for use in a forum dedicated to reading books.

Ha! That's what I thought too -- until I realized that it didn't have 7 different openings, at which point, what's the point?
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #2136
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Hmmmm...I don't understand the part of the topmost line in the above quote that adds:

beyond an audience’s reach.

To the only line in my post which was:

Hello...anybody here...!
That was a copy and paste. I don't know where the "beyond an audience's reach" came from. I don't see it now. Maybe a post was changed.

(Probably from a line added after the picture.)
A quick look didn't find it.

Not really important.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #2137
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool a mystery

Quote:
That was a copy and paste. I don't know where the "beyond an audience's reach" came from. I don't see it now. Maybe a post was changed.

(Probably from a line added after the picture.)
A quick look didn't find it.

Not really important.
Ha! So we solve a mystery with another mystery! Kind of like "In The Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum"

Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #2138
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Skin Game release date:
149 DAYS!

And Chosen will be out in
40 DAYS!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #2139
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The latest Discworld book was announced yesterday to be "Raising Steam" and will involve the Undertaking!

"More details to follow very soon… but in the meantime, we can reveal the book will see the Disc’s first train come steaming into town."

It will be out on October 24, 2013.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #2140
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'm here!!

Well, I'm here occasionally. I miss Harry Dresden, having finished my first complete rereading and gone on to other books (trying to make it through Devil in the White City at the moment).

My husband just started reading Cold Days. He wishes Harry would go back to being a PI Wizard in Chicago working cases. I'll bet sometimes Harry wishes that, too! Meanwhile, I can hardly remember what happened in Cold Days -- must be gettin' old!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #2141
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool a re-read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I'm here!!

Well, I'm here occasionally. I miss Harry Dresden, having finished my first complete rereading and gone on to other books (trying to make it through Devil in the White City at the moment).

My husband just started reading Cold Days. He wishes Harry would go back to being a PI Wizard in Chicago working cases. I'll bet sometimes Harry wishes that, too! Meanwhile, I can hardly remember what happened in Cold Days -- must be gettin' old!
For two years in a row now I've done a complete re-read of The Dresden Files just before the new release. I believe I'll go for the third re-read, maybe beginning it on my birthday (1 Sept).

Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #2142
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
For two years in a row now I've done a complete re-read of The Dresden Files just before the new release. I believe I'll go for the third re-read, maybe beginning it on my birthday (1 Sept).

Not a bad birthday present to yourself, getting to spend all that time in Harry's world, seeing old friends and again vanquishing old enemies, but without fear for what might happen -- until you get to the new book, that is!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #2143
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Book Review: Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

Quote:

Mar 3, 2012 - I review book six of the Dresden Files.

Follow me on Twitter:

Find me on Facebook:

Find me on goodreads:

Ask me questions on Formspring:

Follow me on tumblr:

E-mail me at: izhappyluv@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time I appreciate it greatly. Let's talk, lets debate!! For the sake of sunshine!

Last edited by alansplace; 07-09-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #2144
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Just don't watch the movie "God Bless America" by Bobcat Goldthwait.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #2145
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Ghoul, Goblin: Number Five Arrives!

Quoted from jim-butcher.com
Quote:
Jul 09, 2013 - Ghoul, Goblin: Number Five Arrives!
Issue #5 of Dynamite’s Dresden Files: Ghoul, Goblin comic book arrived this past week!

Quote:
Harry Dresden came to rural Missouri to free the star-crossed Talbot family from the curse that’s nearly wiped out the bloodline. Unfortunately, his only two allies have been fired from the local police force and revealed as a carnivorous ghoul, respectively—oh, and he’s been arrested, leaving the aforementioned Talbots virtually defenseless against the supernatural creatures hunting them. Aside from that, things are great…
JIM BUTCHER’S DRESDEN FILES: GHOUL GOBLIN #5 (OF 6) • Written by Jim Butcher and Mark Powers • Art by Joseph Cooper • Cover by Ardian Syaf

Available now at Comixology and comic stores everywhere!

Check out our preview, below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	GhoulGoblin05-1.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	108033 Click image for larger version

Name:	GhoulGoblin05-2.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	108034 Click image for larger version

Name:	GhoulGoblin05-3.jpeg
Views:	227