Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
libprs500 fetch news and a question.

I have just found the "fetch news" function on libprs500 and I think it's fantastic! I really like the nice formatting with links to different sections. Is libprs500 using rss feeds to do this? Is it possible to add other feeds to this program to be formatted in exactly the same way? If not is there any other program that will? I would love to have some of the UK newspapers delivered to my reader!
One last set of questions. When installing libprs500 with the drivers it asked me to unistall the drivers for Connect software. Why is this? Do I need to do it, and if I do am I right in assuming that Connect will no longer work?
Thanks.
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
I have just found the "fetch news" function on libprs500 and I think it's fantastic! I really like the nice formatting with links to different sections. Is libprs500 using rss feeds to do this? Is it possible to add other feeds to this program to be formatted in exactly the same way? If not is there any other program that will? I would love to have some of the UK newspapers delivered to my reader!
One last set of questions. When installing libprs500 with the drivers it asked me to unistall the drivers for Connect software. Why is this? Do I need to do it, and if I do am I right in assuming that Connect will no longer work?
Thanks.
To use Libprs500 to download stuff from the web and the conversion tools, you do not need to install the USB driver. Connect will work find to move the LRS file(s) to your reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes it's using RSS feeds and yes it's possible to add more newspapers, but it takes a little knowledge of coding. A new newspaper requires typically 50 lines of python code. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty I'd suggest you download the libprs500 development environment and plunge in, I'm always happy to accept patches.

On windows you cant have two sets of drivers for the same device. So you can have either the libprs500 drivers or the connect drivers. Uninstalling the drivers of either package will prevent it from communicating with the device, but will not prevent its other features from working.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Muskrat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes it's using RSS feeds and yes it's possible to add more newspapers, but it takes a little knowledge of coding. A new newspaper requires typically 50 lines of python code. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty I'd suggest you download the libprs500 development environment and plunge in, I'm always happy to accept patches.

On windows you cant have two sets of drivers for the same device. So you can have either the libprs500 drivers or the connect drivers. Uninstalling the drivers of either package will prevent it from communicating with the device, but will not prevent its other features from working.
EeeehI don't know about the coding...If it were a case of copy/paste and fiddle about a bit with a few things maybe. Otherwise it might be a bit of a steep learning curve for me. But I might look into it. Where would I get the libprs500 development environment btw?
Also I am having problems with slow startup speeds with Connect software and might start using libprs500 instead. What other formats does it convert?
Thanks a lot for the great program!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It converts html, rtf, lit, txt and pdf to lrf. The development environment is available at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Development
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
Muskrat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It converts html, rtf, lit, txt and pdf to lrf. The development environment is available at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Development
Thanks. I'll have a look.