Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Problem with PDF diagram display on DR800S

Recently I checked out a PDF sample of a programming ebook which is available from here.

The display of diagrams (vector graphics) on the DR800S is completely off, enclosed are two example images, first one ist the display on a PC with the Adobe Reader, second the same document on the DR800S (page 38 in the document).

Could anyone with an DR800 please check this? So I can tell if it is a firmware issue or specific problem with just my device? So far, other documents with vector illustrations work fine.

Edit: on a second look I am not sure if this is a vector based diagram, but in that case it would even be more mysterious why the display on the DR800 is wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800_jqPDFAR.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	47649   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800_jQPDF.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	47650  

Last edited by DeReader; 03-10-2010 at 09:49 AM.
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
Dereader, looks the same on my reader.. probably a firmware issue
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
The display of diagrams (vector graphics) on the DR800S is completely off, enclosed are two example images, first one ist the display on a PC with the Adobe Reader, second the same document on the DR800S (page 38 in the document).

Could anyone with an DR800 please check this? So I can tell if it is a firmware issue or specific problem with just my device? So far, other documents with vector illustrations work fine.

Edit: on a second look I am not sure if this is a vector based diagram, but in that case it would even be more mysterious why the display on the DR800 is wrong
Now that is a mystery. I copied the diagram into a new PDF and it displayed just the same as on your pic. Then I copied and pasted the diagram as a bitmap into Word, then made that a PDF and it displays perfectly. So, it looks like it is a vector issue 'cos when it's made into a bitmap it's fine.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
electrotype
Enthusiast
electrotype began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
Dereader, looks the same on my reader.. probably a firmware issue
I'm still waiting for my DR800, but I'm curious about this issue... If it's a firmware issue, is it possible for us to upgrade to a new firmware now? Or are you using a firmware not available yet?
electrotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
DeReader
Connoisseur

Pauli and TGS, thanks for testing this! So it is an issue with the current firmware.

electrotype, currently no new firmware is available. But a new firmware with new features was officially announced by Irex here for April.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
electrotype
Enthusiast

Quote:
Pauli and TGS, thanks for testing this! So it is an issue with the current firmware.

electrotype, currently no new firmware is available. But a new firmware with new features was officially announced by Irex here for April.
I though pauli said "both images looks the same" with his DR800, meaning there was no problem with the firmware he was using... That's why I was asking! I understand in fact he meant the display on his device is wrong, like yours...

Hopefully the april firmware will fix this issue, indeed!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:

I would make sure to send this to iRex Tech Support, including the pictures, if you haven't already. They can't fix it if they don't know about it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
DeReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrotype View Post
I though pauli said "both images looks the same" with his DR800, meaning there was no problem with the firmware he was using... That's why I was asking! I understand in fact he meant the display on his device is wrong, like yours...

Hopefully the april firmware will fix this issue, indeed!
My understanding was that he converted the diagram to a pure bitmap, and that was displaying fine.

Shaggy, I'll send this info to Irex, hopefully they can fix it for in the upcoming firmware.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
My understanding was that he converted the diagram to a pure bitmap, and that was displaying fine.

Shaggy, I'll send this info to Irex, hopefully they can fix it for in the upcoming firmware.
Just to be clear - the original PDF displays on my unit as it does in DeReader's pics. The diagram image when copied from the PDF and pasted into a new PDF retaining its format also displays as it does in the pic. However, when the diagram image is converted to a bitmap, and then that bitmap is made into a PDF, the image displays fine. Also, when I made a new PDF with very simple vector graphics in Foxit, that displayed OK. So, I don't know if it's an issue to do with displaying vector graphics per se.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
It is, in fact, an issue in the Adobe renderer used in the 1.0x firmware. The upcoming firmware has a newer Adobe RMSDK implementation which displays the image correctly.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
DeReader
Connoisseur

Gertjan, thank you for the info! Makes me really happy that a dev from Irex is directly communicating with the user base

I'm really looking forward to the new firmware with some fixes and new features. But nonetheless the device in it's current state is absolutely useable and I'm reading every day on my DR800S.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
electrotype
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
It is, in fact, an issue in the Adobe renderer used in the 1.0x firmware. The upcoming firmware has a newer Adobe RMSDK implementation which displays the image correctly.
Thanks for the info Gertjan!