Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #31
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
It has been made pretty clear over the years that 6" readers sell very well. Other sizes not so much. It has to do with portability.

I might be tempted if they added in page turn buttons and audio so that I could also play my music. However, the major problem that would exist for me is that I could no longer just put it in my pocket.

I can fit my Sony T-1 in my pocket if I remove it from its cover, but I'm not really comfortable doing that. I prefer that added layer of protection especially since I have dropped it a couple of times, and if it hadn't been in a cover it would have been destroyed.

Why did I drop it, because of the size and I misjudged the distance when I pulled it out of my bag. I've never done that with my mp3 player or Note 2 phone.

I like the fact that it is an open source and I would be able to load my favorite reader app on it. But I would then be back to lugging around two different devices...not good.

I wish him luck.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #32
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
my feelings are that most of the ereaders we could by (or sell in my case) a few years ago- minus the better display tech available now- were better BEFORE those companies switched to android for their os.

PocketBook for the original 360 and Onyx's OS stack were much better for reading before they switched to android. they've become clunky and slow. they'd have been better off continue to develope the os they were already using and they'd be way ahead of their android versions.

those two companies and others were making readers that could read every format except encrypted amazon books. amazon won anyway because they put a vending machine in your hand. how will this device be any better than what you can get from independents then and now?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #33
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
According to the comments, Michael has said that any e ink carta displays *larger than six inches are not available with the leading manufacturer (netronix?) and that he did propose going for a larger screen with some other company but they wanted a few million as an investment... He said he would think about it if the initial device was a success?

I also heard a while back that the blog has made some questionable business decisions in the past, but not sure if they are just rumours or not...

EDIT! Apologies for the mistakes :/

Last edited by cerem0ny; 10-24-2015 at 12:40 AM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #34
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've head the rumors also. But I decided to take the leap. No one else is offering an e-ink reader that really excites me.

They sound like they've gotten it pretty together.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #35
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
@mycurlylocks. Well said.

Hopefully the designer intends to include an a2 no-flash refresh mode out-of-the-box. This will make it more effective as a tablet. Also the ability to plugin an external keyboard and/or use it as a secondary e-ink monitor.

On another note, a lot of people are speaking as if the new nook being rooted is a done deal. That's based on the reputatuon of the rooted Nook ST, which I agree is a wondrous thing. But it took a lot of work by community developers to do that. There is no gaurantee or even reason to think that the new Nook will work so well rooted.

Last edited by Rizla; 10-23-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #36
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I can't find any rudeness in this thread. I'm not even sure which post was being referred to as rude. I don't think it's rude to make fun of someone like Michael Koslowski. I think I did that myself a few times in here. I do read and enjoy a lot of his articles but I take them with a grain of salt. He so often doesn't understand the topics he writes about. And every now and then he gets something right and has a new and fresh idea, which is why I read his stuff.

The ideal reader for me would be 6" or even smaller. I think he's got that right. And he's offering to create an e-ink device that isn't tied to a bookseller, which I think is also a great idea. I doubt we'll ever see one and I'm not putting my money into his idea but if he produces one and it's any good and it's what he's describing I sure want one and I'll pay a good price for it and I'll thank him.

I've never pledged money to a crowd sourcing project but this is one I would consider this one if it was being done by someone I had faith in. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about Kowslowski. What he describes is something I'd love to have.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #37
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In hardware terms the only thing that I would want that I don't already have is a slightly larger screen. 4:3 aspect ratio is perfect, but 6 inch diagonal is just a touch small. Apart from that, I already have my ultimate ereader.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #38
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
I've edited my previous post lol, bloody autocorrect left my post unintelligable lol...what I meant to say is read the comments on the goodereader site: michael is being very transparent and saying he was unable to meet the two million dollar investment required for >6 inch e ink carta displays, so he's stuck with making a six inch for now...

But yeah,I do believe in the past Goodereader started as some kind of business which apparently ripped off a lot of people... I heard it from these forums actually, but I can't be sure how true that is seeing as goodereader gets so much hateful vitriol from forumers her for whatever reason! Its reassuring to see he has a few fans on his own site though...but this screen needs to be Voyage style/kobo H20 display style beautiful for me to be interested... oh and no bloody discolouration either! Get this right, for the love of God!!!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:44 AM   #39
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
But yeah,I do believe in the past Goodereader started as some kind of business which apparently ripped off a lot of people...
That's not the only problem - it's the blithering video reviews and the hit-and-miss approach to facts that are ongoing issues. In the linked article, two of the four opening paragraphs contain myths (race to the bottom, ecosystem "lock-in"), so I had my usual relationship with most things Goodereader writes - mental switch-off by the time I get halfway through. I pushed on and saw two obvious typos in their specs table, as well as inconsistent capitalisation. None of this lends the impression that they are going to be a company that pays attention to detail. They're slapdash, and always have been.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:48 AM   #40
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I don't really trust Goodereader. If it was Kickstarted, I might have thought about it, but not with IndieGoGo.

That said, I see nothing ultimate about this.
  • No page turning buttons.
  • Nothing about a metal body.
  • Only 512MB of ram and claims it will run apps. Nope, not happening.
  • No Bluetooth.
  • No wireless charging.
  • No built-in support for Calibre Content Server or OPDS. That you can download apps that support them is insufficient for an ultimate ereader claim.
  • No information whatsoever about a built-in the engine, but I guess we can download Bluefire for RMSDK. Still, no ultimate ereader here.
  • i.MX6S isn't best thing there is, i.MX7S is coming out and there are others too. You have to remember that i.MX6S is four years old.
  • I don't think there will be any extensive customer service.

As a last note, the writing in the campaing is quite rude and bad, you haven't invented the vaccine for malaria, this is just a bulk order for a high-spec eraeder. And asking for money with such sloppy presentation? Really? A junior high student could have written better.

This is all vapor, nothing solid here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
What I don't understand is the constant rudeness from some forum members here. I was always taught growing up, if I had nothing nice to say, then say nothing. I still practice that.

I don't need to put products or people down. Perhaps that's why I seldom post here.
If I have nothing nice to say about some product, I will say all the bad things I have to say. This is the right and moral thing to do when talking about a consumer product. This is why forums like MR exist, to provide information without filtering it. You have to share bad with good, the bad is even more important than the good.

You know; all good products are alike, each bad product is bad in its own way =)

Last edited by GERGE; 10-24-2015 at 03:06 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:05 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
That's not the only problem - it's the blithering video reviews and the hit-and-miss approach to facts that are ongoing issues.
My main issue with GoodEReader reviews is that they concentrate on aspects that I consider peripheral in eReaders -- like how well they display comics or Dungeon & Dragon PDFs. I buy eReaders to read -- mostly fiction. I like the fact that they are specialized devices and have their own specialized ecosystem. And they're cheap enough that I can buy a Nook, a Kindle and a Kobo -- so pretty much have everything covered. I know this is a personal choice, but this is why a general eInk Android tablet holds zero interest for me. I understand that others feel differently.

At any rate, good luck to those who want this tablet/eReader. More choice is never a bad thing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #42
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't like downloading. The two things I would like most are page turn buttons and enough memory to hold all my large library and a file management system that makes it easy to organize and find my books (I want to be able to organize my books so they show in the order I choose like my physical bookshelf). At a minimum search by author, title, genre, series and tag then be able to select my search result and open that book. And the ability to edit author, title, genre, series and tag within the app so I can easily change the tag from uread to read after finishing.
And the ability to open any format non-DRM book (the DRM I can take care of myself) with the same reader app so I only need one app.

I would be willing to forfeit lighted screens, waterproofing, internal searches of words in books so no indexing needed, 4G connectivity (I never even use Wi-Fi), all social junk like common highlights.

Mostly the physical part of the ereaders are good enough aside from buttons and lack of enough memory but the software is lacking in adequate file management.

Last edited by crossi; 10-24-2015 at 07:22 AM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And they're cheap enough that I can buy a Nook, a Kindle and a Kobo -- so pretty much have everything covered. I know this is a personal choice, but this is why a general eInk Android tablet holds zero interest for me. I understand that others feel differently.
I think "a general eInk Android tablet" sounds really interesting, and if they succeed....and user reviews are good, I might get one. I would love to be able to use Calibre Companion and Moon+ on an e-ink device. But with my Kobo readers, and Calibre, they're just about perfect. So this new device would have to be really spectacular to beat Kobo. I have my doubts.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think "a general eInk Android tablet" sounds really interesting, and if they succeed....and user reviews are good, I might get one. I would love to be able to use Calibre Companion and Moon+ on an e-ink device.
You can do so already. Such devices have been on the market for quite a while now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #45
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can do so already. Such devices have been on the market for quite a while now.
Yes, I have been hesitant to buy any of them, as they are all sold in Europe, as I understand. Perhaps I should give the Icarus another look.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad