Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Nookstudy Coming Soon

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookst....asp?PID=34505

Quote:
NOOKstudy keeps your eTextbooks, class handouts, course syllabi, lecture notes, even your leisure reading, instantly accessible right on your computer. Organize your materials by course so you can focus on what you need.
Looks like B&N is getting serious about the education market.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Somehow I question the ability for most technology tools to improve the average student's ability to learn new things. It's the discipline of actually picking up a book and doing the exercises that's the hard part, not the organizing of notes and books.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
It seems to be a desktop application only. Not having it on the Nook seems to be missing the point to me. I have tried other textbook on pc applications and they are not conducive to the classroom environment or my study habits. If they had this on the nook also and their reading app on the ipad as well then I think they would be in the right track
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
It seems to be a desktop application only. Not having it on the Nook seems to be missing the point to me. I have tried other textbook on pc applications and they are not conducive to the classroom environment or my study habits. If they had this on the nook also and their reading app on the ipad as well then I think they would be in the right track
I'm wondering if they are laying the groundwork for the next-gen Nook-which may have the horsepower/capabilities to support more of these features.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I'm wondering if they are laying the groundwork for the next-gen Nook-which may have the horsepower/capabilities to support more of these features.
I hope. Lugging around a laptop to read my textbooks does not sound appealing although I would like the option when at home. They could have a quick win with getting an Ipad app (or maybe the current one) capable of using the textbooks
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
that's what I was thinking
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I use coursesmart for a distance learning program that I'm enrolled in and I like it better than the traditional text book route, especially for the texts that I know I would not keep.

The lease price is about half of the bookstore price and I don't have to worry about reselling them. I'm able to search text, make notes, highlight and bookmark. I can access it from my home or work without having to carry the texts around.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I use coursesmart for a distance learning program that I'm enrolled in and I like it better than the traditional text book route, especially for the texts that I know I would not keep.

The lease price is about half of the bookstore price and I don't have to worry about reselling them. I'm able to search text, make notes, highlight and bookmark. I can access it from my home or work without having to carry the texts around.
I would gladly buy an etextbook if they could deliver it to my ipad or kindle or anything other than just my desktop. Until such time I will continue the Buy, destroy, and scan methodolgy. I am hoping that sooner rather than later the publishers will realize the market will embrace them when they are allowed to consume as the want and not as they want - well thats my thoughts anyway...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would gladly buy an etextbook if they could deliver it to my ipad or kindle or anything other than just my desktop. Until such time I will continue the Buy, destroy, and scan methodolgy. I am hoping that sooner rather than later the publishers will realize the market will embrace them when they are allowed to consume as the want and not as they want - well thats my thoughts anyway...
Maybe an Ipad, but I don't know that I'd want to try and read a textbook on my nook or any other 6" reader.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Maybe an Ipad, but I don't know that I'd want to try and read a textbook on my nook or any other 6" reader.
I agree, but the more supported platforms the higher the chance of universal adoption
Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
I agree, but the more supported platforms the higher the chance of universal adoption
True dat!