Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 05:16 AM   #3811
Fewns
Fewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enough

Device: PW2
thank you;
got it solved now: i was indeed using your latest snapshots, but somehow i had to redownload the archives; they had the right build numbers, but were the wrong files (different hash);
now with the fresh archives installed it works fine; thanks again
Fewns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #3812
headc4se
headc4se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
For some reason I'm unable to get the jailbreak for DXG working. The Software Version is Kindle 2.5.8 (555370010) and the Serial Number starts with B009. When I try the Update method I get a U007 error thrown in the bottom left.
headc4se is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #3813
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@headc4se:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(And, on FW 2.x only, it should FAIL (With a U006 error, in the bottom left corner of the screen). It's completely normal, intended, and harmless).
A U007 error in this specific context means you have an incompatible JB (or traces of it) already installed on your device.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #3814
Jacksaur
Jacksaur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I installed the latest snapshot through MRPI, enabled the periodical mode and rebooted my device, but my periodicals don't seem to be detected at all. My cover doesn't change when I view one, nor does it swap off the "Screensavers hack is in cover mode but hasn't parsed a cover" screen. Did I miss another setting?

Last edited by Jacksaur; 02-19-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Jacksaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #3815
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Periodicals may have changed format since the last time I tested this (which was, err, 5 years ago, give or take? ).

Does it pick up actual books?

EDIT: Although, on a K3, if your profile is accurate, nope, it *probably* should work. Double-check that the date/time is sane on your device.
Advert
Old 02-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #3816
Jacksaur

It seemed to, but apparently not. I opened up What If by Randal Munroe and it worked with the cover immediately. But it's now stuck on it, won't change to any other cover. Time is correct, is there a date option to change somewhere?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #3817
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Not an option (I think? There's one on *some* Kindles, but I can't remember if that applies to the K3, and mine's flat right now).

There is a hidden searchbar command (;st OTOH -- might want to double-check that -- accepting an epoch timestamp as input), though, as well as a couple KUAL extensions.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #3818
Zbigniev Hamson
Zbigniev Hamson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard) WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksaur View Post
It seemed to, but apparently not. I opened up What If by Randal Munroe and it worked with the cover immediately. But it's now stuck on it, won't change to any other cover. Time is correct, is there a date option to change somewhere?
Hi Jacksaur,

I had this same problem with my K3 for quite a while. I've never used periodicals, this was just happening with books. I fixed it by simply clearing out out the cached covers folder which I had never touched since first installing it.
Zbigniev Hamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #3819
Zbigniev Hamson

I've tried installing the font hack a couple of times, but I find it a bit confusing to modify and I'm not sure if I can even get it to do what I want.

What I really want is to be able to leave the system fonts unchanged, but change the font options within books. Out of the box the font hack seems to do the exact opposite to this. I think in principle I could get the system fonts back to default by replacing the specific fonts with the originals, but it's not clear which those are or where (if anywhere) I can get the originals from. The "backup" folder just seems to contain copies of the new fonts that replace those.

Ideally what I would like is to leave pretty much all the fonts untouched, but just replace the "sans serif" font in books with any other font of my choice, since I never use that one.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #3820
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Zbigniev Hamson: Unfortunately, sans serif is used pretty much everywhere in the UI, so, you'll have to live with it affecting the UI, too.

But, technically feasible, by replacing the custom variants with the original backups (honoring the custom naming scheme) for everything but Sans_*.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #3821
Zbigniev Hamson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Zbigniev Hamson: Unfortunately, sans serif is used pretty much everywhere in the UI, so, you'll have to live with it affecting the UI, too.

But, technically feasible, by replacing the custom variants with the original backups (honoring the custom naming scheme) for everything but Sans_*.
Thanks for the info One of the problems I had was that I couldn't even find the original backups. The hack created a "backups" folder full of fonts, but copying these over the fonts in the "fonts" directory made no difference (the files were all exactly the same size, so would seem to be the same). So I presumed these were backups of the new fonts the hack adds, rather than the original fonts.

However, it sounds like I won't be able to get it to do what I want without changing some of the system screens anyway, so I guess I will live without it.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #3822
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@Zbigniev Hamson:
Try these fonts from Kindle 4: *redacted*
As I remember, the 'Sans' font was one of the Helvetica fonts.

When you copy them to working 'fonts' folder you should replace the files, not just place them next to existing files there.
And yes, on K4/K3, 'Sans' is the used for both UI and as one of 3 font choices in the Reader, pity.
I tried many fonts before like Amazon Ember, Ubuntu, Cambria, Verdana, DejaVu Condensed. My goal was to have a font family with extended Cyrillic character set (i.e. Kazakh letters).
Finally I sticked with Ubuntu.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-20-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Link redacted.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #3823
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mergen3107: There's a reason I'm not shipping the default fonts: it's called copyright . Redacted your link so you don't get to feel the wrath of a green mod .

But, yes, sans is Helvetica on those devices, which *will* be backup'ed under that name.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #3824
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@NiLuJe
Oops, sorry guys for that blunder =\
Didn't realize the fonts' copyright status.
Thanks for help
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:18 AM   #3825
Jacksaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
Hi Jacksaur,

I had this same problem with my K3 for quite a while. I've never used periodicals, this was just happening with books. I fixed it by simply clearing out out the cached covers folder which I had never touched since first installing it.
Tried that, now my lock screen is always pure white. Whoops :P

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet