Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #31
Arni1
Arni1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Arni1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Arni1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Arni1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
Looks nice. Right now, I haven't my Pocketbook near me, so I can't test it, but if it works like you describe it ...
Do you know about an offline version? When it comes to stuff like this, I prefer something that can be downloaded. You never know, how long this page will be online - it could be gone tomorrow, or it could last for 20 years ...
I have not come across the off-line version on the website. I suggest that you may ask them. I asked them something about their other products and they seemed to be very responsive.
Arni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #32
Arni1
Arni1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Arni1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Arni1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Arni1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arni1 View Post
I have not come across the off-line version on the website. I suggest that you may ask them. I asked them something about their other products and they seemed to be very responsive.
It seems there is the offline version of the highlights extractor. :-)

Last edited by Arni1; 01-09-2018 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Typos
Advert
Old 05-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #33
geras
geras began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 PB740 FW: 5.17
I just would like to say that I would appreciate if there was a way for Linux to extract annotations from PocketBook InkPad 3, preferably if it did not require to install any untrusted packages because as a student I am going to make many notes on my course materials which are in pdf. I don't need it right now but I will need it in the future.
geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #34
Perfect Day
Perfect Day began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
Dear Reading Experts

As in the post before I am considering to purchase a PocketBook InkPad 3.

Untill now I am using the Sony PRS-T2 and I do totally love the plugin annotation exporter of Toxaris, which is a great peace of work!

Can anybody tell me, if the toxaris plugin will work on the Pocketbook InkPad 3?
Or will there be the mentioned problems with the changed database structure?

All the best; have a

Perfect Day
Perfect Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #35
Perfect Day
Perfect Day began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
By the way:

I did as well experiment with the highlight exporter from https://www.aar-innovations.com. But the functionality seems to be very limited:
- export without page numbers
- only limited characters for the sony-prs series and no option to "expand the text" as with the annotations exporter from Toxaris
- very complicated buying process with a company called PayPro, which will ask you for your phone number by mail and let you know, that you couldn't purchase for technical reasons 2 days later

So you guys surely understand, that I am hoping for Toxaris' solution in that matter.

All the best and have a

Perfect Day

Last edited by Perfect Day; 05-29-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Perfect Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
retrography
retrography is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2 / PocketBook Inkpad 3 / Kindle Paperwhite 3
Sample code

It is pretty easy to get to those annotations. Here is an idea:

That file (books.db) is a simple sqlite database. You can query it using any sqlite3 client, but to do it properly you need the json1 extension installed as well. Here is a sample query that gives you a neatly formatted html table (see attached):

Code:
echo "<HTML><BODY><TABLE>"$(sqlite3 --header --html books.db "select Title, Authors, json_extract(Highlight, '$.text') as Text from Books inner join (select OID as BookID, Highlight from Items inner join (select ParentID, Highlight from Items inner join (select ItemID, Val as Highlight from Tags where TagID = 104 and Val <> '{\"text\":\"Bookmark\"}') as Highlights on Highlights.ItemID = OID) as Highlights on Highlights.ParentID = OID) as Highlights on BookID = OID;")"</TABLE></BODY></HTML>" > highlights.html
You can extend this to extract other annotations (e.g. note, bookmark) as well as page/position number for each annotation.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hs.html.zip (18.2 KB, 586 views)

Last edited by retrography; 08-25-2018 at 03:32 PM.
retrography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #37
ubuntero
ubuntero began at the beginning.

Device: PB InkPad3
Thanks @retrography. That is very useful script.

I ve tried to add default Unicode encoding for html to the script, but without success.

Last edited by ubuntero; 08-26-2018 at 03:32 PM.
ubuntero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #38
retrography

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntero View Post
Thanks "retrography". There useful script.

I ve tried to add default Unicode encoding for html to the script, but without success.
Hey @ubuntero,

As far as I know the default database encoding in SQLite is UTF8, and the exported HTML must be UTF8 encoded by default (see my sample file attached to my last post). Maybe your books are not UTF8 encoded, but as far as I know PocketBook should be able to take care of that.

You can check your DB encoding using:

Code:
PRAGMA encoding;
If the database itself is not UTF8 or if by Unicode you mean UTF-16 or UTF-32, then I suggest exporting the HTML with the default encoding and then do the conversion outside.

But all in all, I am not a database or text encoding expert. I would personally never load anything non-Unicode on my reader first place so that I don't get into encoding issues afterwards. I have lost precious notes like that before.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #39
ubuntero
ubuntero began at the beginning.

Device: PB InkPad3
Sorry, I didn`t clarify properly what I really wanted to achieve.

I wanted my browser to autorecognize encoding, which is finally possible by adding <meta> tag to your code.

Code:
echo "<HTML><HEAD><META CHARSET="UTF-8"></HEAD><BODY><TABLE>"$(sqlite3 --header --html books.db "select Title, Authors, json_extract(Highlight, '$.text') as Text from Books inner join (select OID as BookID, Highlight from Items inner join (select ParentID, Highlight from Items inner join (select ItemID, Val as Highlight from Tags where TagID = 104 and Val <> '{\"text\":\"Bookmark\"}') as Highlights on Highlights.ItemID = OID) as Highlights on Highlights.ParentID = OID) as Highlights on BookID = OID;")"</TABLE></BODY></HTML>" > highlights.html
ubuntero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:11 AM   #40
Noto
Noto began at the beginning.

Device: Don't have
HI!!
I wanted to know if someone uses koreader and sync with evernote, to export the underlined parts, and if it works well?
Noto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #41
retrography

Hi @Noto! I just saw this. Koreader works pretty decently on Pocketbook, with only a few minor issues. The sync with Dropbox, though, is not amazing. Pocketbook’s “sync” module is actually not a real sync module, as it does not understand incremental updates. So, what happens is that each time you open a book, Koreader overwrites the sidefiles in the homonymous sdr directory, but when pocketbook tries to sync, it does not know which version is the best version (remote or local), so it renamed the local file and resyncs the storage with the remote. Put differently, it always considers the remote as the master in case if conflicts. Worse, pocketbook does this every time it syncs, even if there is no new modifications. At the end of the day you end up with hundreds of copies of the files in your sdr directory. If you try to embed the annotation inside the PDFs with Koreader, then you will end up with hundreds of copies of your PDF file.

So, not ideal. And just because of a terrible, amateur implementation. That doesn’t surprise me though. There are many small issues like that with the pocketbook reader.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #42
Arni1

Just to share my experience (do not get me wrong: not advertising anything): several months ago swiched to MacOS and had troubles finding something decent to extract my notes / highlights.
Ended up with Highlights Extractor which turned out to be the one doing the job well.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #43
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
Calibre annotations plugin has pocketbook support added

Update: I developed a tool for interactively viewing annotations, see the mobileread 'AVATeR' thread.

The Calibre annotations plugin can now be used to extract Pocketbook annotations.

It's currently only in the beta. Any testers are welcome, see below for the beta of 10 May 2021:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=945

Last edited by wold; 03-28-2022 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Linked new beta post
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:18 PM   #44
Frapi
Frapi began at the beginning.

Device: [PocketBook|Vivlio] Touch HD plus PB632
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrography View Post
It is pretty easy to get to those annotations. Here is an idea:
[...]
You can extend this to extract other annotations (e.g. note, bookmark) as well as page/position number for each annotation.
For instance, I found that tagID 105 is for the text of the note linked to the highlight, and 102 gives the type (highlight, note, bookmark...)

To get all this, I reach the limit of my SQL skills, but I will prepare a small python code to get all this, and also to try to ADD notes.

I have an old broken PB632 this many notes, and eventually manage to get its books.db file, so I want to add these notes & highlight into my new pb632...

--
Frapi
Frapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:57 PM   #45
Frapi
Frapi began at the beginning.

Device: [PocketBook|Vivlio] Touch HD plus PB632
Smile

READING / WRITING ANNOTATIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frapi View Post
I have an old broken PB632 this many notes, and eventually manage to get its books.db file, so I want to add these notes & highlight into my new pb632...
The books.db can actually be read & write
Just make sure (for instance by rebooting the reader before) that all the wal (db logs, see https://www.sqlite.org/wal.html ) are actually synced into books.db, so no more books.db-wal or books.db-shm in /mnt/ext1/system/config/

Then copy books.db on a computer
any sqlite editor allows you to add notes or highlights.

1) create a new item,
ParentID : book's OID
TypeID : 4 (book_mark)
State : 0 (?)
TimeAlt : a timestamp
HashUUID : an UUID

2) Then create parts in Tags

For note, :
ItemId : item's OID you just created
TagID : 101 (for book_mark)
Val : json, eg {"anchor":"pbr:/word?page=1&offs=398","created":1687936650}, with pos on the book (page/offset) and same timestamp
TimeEdt : same timestamp

then
TagId : 102 (for type)
Val : note

TagId : 104 (for quotation)
Val : json, eg {"begin":"pbr:/word?page=1&offs=398","end":"pbr:/word?page=1&over=484","text":"Nous avons toujours cru que les vies de nos enfants seraient meilleures que les nôtres."} ( ! no timestamp there)

TagID : 105 (for text)
Val : json eg {"text":"Et maintenant en 2023 on en est encore plus sûrs que ça ne sera pas le cas !"}

[optional I think]
TagID : 106 (for color)
val: cian

For highlight : same, but no 105, and 102 is "highlight"

Then copy back books.db on reader's /mnt/ext1/system/config/
(with a rooted reader it might be more convenient)
reboot

Definitely, it's not easy from a printed book to identify page & offset, but in my case I wanted to re-insert notes from a previous reader's books.db database, so it's OK.

Some caveats :
- Not quite sure how we should build UUID, when from scratch... might be dependent from other fields ?
- books you want to add notes for MUST have been opened at least once on the reader (they are not listed in books table otherwise)

For my usage, I will build a code
- extracting all note and highlight from a books.db,
- inserting all this in an other books.db
Will give it somewhere, you may reuse/fork

--
Frapi
Frapi is offline   Reply With Quote