Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My plan is to leave it entirely up to the user through Mammoth's style mappings and the users's own css templates.

I'm not really envisioning this plugin being used by user A to convert user B, C, D, and E's docx files automagically. I envision it being used by a writer/user who's adapted a standard for styling all their docx documents. That way, they create a custom Mammoth style-map (or a few) and an associated stylesheet. Once they have that in place, they can focus on creating their Word/LibreOffice documents. The style-map will take care of mapping all standard and custom docx styles/headings to specific html/class-names (with associated css).
Sounds reasonable to me. That approach is what we do, using writer2latex.jar, though of course in the case of converting user B, C, D, and E's files, I have to re-style them with our (standardized) custom styles. Also, all direct formatting for bold, italic, etc. within a paragraph is converted to custom character styles, so instead of getting <b> and </b>, we get a <span class="bold"> instead. (not necessary, but it makes it easier to work on the epub down the line.)

Quote:
In other words ... documents will be created that conform with a pre-existing style-map/css, rather than creating a style-map/css to accommodate each particular document (though the latter is still doable provided the user doesn't mind the extra work).
Indeed. Though the former is much easier than the latter, so that's the way I'd go.

"Begin with the end in mind." Although it's been my experience that talented authors are not necessarily also talented book designers, no matter what many of them assume.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Although it's been my experience that talented authors are not necessarily also talented book designers, no matter what many of them assume.
Oh, I've no doubt.
But hopefully a tiny portion of the smart ones will consult a geek at some point along the way, in order to get set straight!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated to version 0.2.0.

Big overhaul. Added a gui to allow the selection of custom style maps and custom css files.
An example of a style map (as well as a sample docx and css file file it will work with) are in the samples.zip attached to the first post. More info on writing custom style maps can be found in the "Writing Style maps" section of Mammoth's README.

EDIT: Also got tired of trying to keep everything compatible with Python 2 and Python 3, so this plugin is now Python 3 only.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-31-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Bumped to version 0.2.1.

Mostly cosmetic changes, but recommended to update to latest.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

There's a few, small spec-compliancy issues my plugin is introducing when choosing to import as an EPUB3. I hope to have this fixed in version 0.2.2
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
Auramazda
Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.

Great plugin, I used it for a pair of books and was almost perfect. There will be also and export docx?
Auramazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auramazda View Post
There will be also and export docx?
I hadn't really thought about it, to tell the truth. I figured turning it into an epub would be the last step of a finished document. Going the other way is never going to result in the same docx document that one started with, though. Would there be any real advantage to working back and forth like that? With new "baseline" documents being created both ways (each import and export)?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-03-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #23
Auramazda
Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.Auramazda is no ebook tyro.

It was just for curiosity, but maybe think that you recive a epub from a third part and you want to create a pdf and you need editing it in a word contest then it's usefull
Old 06-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If it isn't a big enough need to inspire a Sigil plugin, do note that calibre already supports DOCX as a Conversion Input/Output. So you could always use calibre to convert to DOCX.

(Granted that it could replace this plugin too, except it is nice to have an alternative that doesn't require yet more software. Still, a DOCX Export plugin doesn't seem nearly as useful, so who's going to make it? At a certain point, we are getting beyond the purview of Sigil.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #25
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
It was just for curiosity, but maybe think that you recive a epub from a third part and you want to create a pdf and you need editing it in a word contest then it's usefull
You could also import an ePUB (version 2) directly into Word with my add-in.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There will be also and export docx?
I occasionally need to convert EPUB to something Word can open.

In most instances converting the EPUB to RTF with calibre gives me a 'better' result than converting EPUB to DOCX with calibre or Toxaris' EPUBTools. Of course my 'better' is inevitably another person's 'worst'. Sometimes, especially if the EPUB is chock full of redundant, superfluous XHTML tags, I convert to plain or markup text and import that into Word.

An important factor in my 'better' is consistency, whilst the EPUB->DOCX converters are sometimes a bit better, they're often a lot worse. Eliminating the consistent idiosyncrasies of EPUB->RTF conversions is less effort overall via some simple macros.

I do EPUB->RTF calibre conversions via a script.

I very much doubt I would use a DOCX output plugin in Sigil.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There's a few, small spec-compliancy issues my plugin is introducing when choosing to import as an EPUB3. I hope to have this fixed in version 0.2.2
Released v0.2.2 to correct these issues.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #28
Auramazda

DiapDealer you don't know how much I love this plugin! I imported the romance of the three kindom and was starting editing when I find that he put all the note in a separate chapter and create all the link, 388 double link that I dont need to edit, cut and paste! Just some minor aesthetic change and was perfect.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks! I'm glad it's useful to you.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-13-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Released version 0.2.3. Mostly cosmetic changes (PyQt5 where possible), but also integrated some upstream changes to the mammoth module. Please let me know if you run into any problems.