Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
omnimodis78
Enthusiast
omnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura H20
To restore or not to restore after updates?

At each firmware update, I tend to do a full restore of my Kobo, then add all data back and go on my merry way. But I'm starting to think that this might be an entirely redundant course of action. Any feedback? Is this, somehow, a "safe" way of going on or is it 100% unnecessary? Thanks.
omnimodis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
From a theoretical point of view, complete wipe and reload is the ideal. Reality is that I would say it doesn't matter much. I get a lot more beta's than there are release updates and they end up piled on each other with no ill effects. I think the updates re-write the whole firmware rather than just change some files which probably helps reducing issues from multiple updates. Every once and a while rebuilding the content database probably doesn't hurt either.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Something going wonky in the Kobo database is a comon problem, though hardly something you see at *every* update. If you wanted to be completely sure you're in good shape, I would say, no harm in removing the database, (you can simply "Log Out", for the same result.) I can't see any reason to do a factory restore of the system partition. That can only increase wear an tear on the flash memory, which may well be the first thing to fail on the device over time.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Like robko, I go through a lot of firmware upgrades with the beta firmware. On my Glo, I never do a factory reset unless something goes wrong. The same goes for the database. I haven't recreated the database for a long time. I have done things to corrupt the database, but restored a recent backup of the file with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote