Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
night_mercury
night_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Aura HD
Bricked Aura HD

Bricked Aura HD
Good day ,

I played with Kobo Patcher (kpg.exe) and accidentally removed sqllite file. Aura HD went into infinite booting cycle with 5 squares. Hard reset didn't help.

I already got on hold of the internal SDCard and copied RecoveyFS partition into RootFS with MiniTool Partition. It kinda woke up but couldn't do update due to lack of space. Turns out moving/copying partitions is not easy - they don't end up in the same sectors.

I think I have several options:
- try https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hp?t=194206#12
I'm a bit concerned because SDCard image i got is the one that never boots

- find working SD card image

- build one myself from downloadable firmware ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-185660.html )
Not sure if it is even possible.

I would appreciate any assistance.

thank you,
night_mercury
Old 01-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Just copying the RecoveryFS to the RootFS partition won't work. The recovery works by formatting the RootFS, unpacking a file onto it and also rewriting boot images. The commands in the link are only part of what you need.

You should have been able to recover from this by doing a factory reset using the buttons. But, it might be to late. I'll PM you a link to an SD card image that you can use to create a new card. That should get you going.
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
night_mercury
night_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of lightnight_mercury is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Aura HD
Many thanks. Turns out proper hard reset works for me. I read instructions but understood them incorrectly.

So it is up and running.

Thanks,
night_mercury
Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
lighters
lighters began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Do you have Kobo aura HD SD card image?Please give me one copy,THANKS!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent
Advert
Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent
I like to experiment with the reader. You can give me a copy of your auraHD SD card image for my safety?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
I like to experiment with the reader. You can give me a copy of your auraHD SD card image for my safety?
I'm tempted to make you beg when you stuff up But, I've sent you the link. Hopefully you will never need it.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm tempted to make you beg when you stuff up But, I've sent you the link. Hopefully you will never need it.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Arano
Arano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi,
I've got a problem with my internal SD card on my Aura HD.
I've already ask to you, davidfor, if you can send me its link, but i haven't been chilling since. (I don't even know if this sentence is correct, sry for my bad english :-s )

I've modified the /etc/init.d/rcS script to find what line exactly is going wrong on the process "copy the content of recoveryfs to rootfs"
It seems that whatever might be in RECOVERYfs/dev/mmcblock0p1 is missing, because rcS can't mount this.

rcS do this :
Quote:
mkfs.ext4 -L rootfs -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1 && sync && sync
mount -o norelatime,noatime,nodiratime /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/root
Which doesn't mount.

First, i've think that something didn't work well with 'cp', so i tried 'dd' to copy those mmc*, but it said that "mmcblk0p1 is not a block device" (idem in trying to mount that mmcblk0p1
So I wonder if ROOTfs/dev/mmc* work well and RECOVERYfs/dev/mmc* are just crap...?

I'm still a noob in computers, so i don't know everything and maybe it's just normal, but maybe it's a lead ?
If someone has a non-corrupted Aura, can he to mount this ROOTfs/dev/mmcblk0p1 correctly ?

What i said here is crap, see below

Arano, trying to understand and to find a way out.

Last edited by Arano; 02-11-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:09 AM   #10
Arano
Arano began at the beginning.

Well, that's proove that i'm a noob :

The recoveryfs partition is just like a dual-boot on the e-reader. When the power button is used, it boot on rootfs partition, when the reset pin is used, it boot on the recoveryfs partition.

That's why it doesn't work...
Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Oh, is that what the earlier post was about and your PM.

Yes, the device boots from the recovery partition when you select to do a factory reset either using the buttons or the menu. It formats the main partition and the user partition, then puts the boot images in place and unpacks the firmware to the main partition. The firmware it uses for this is on the recovery partition.

The pinhole just does a soft reset of the device. It just causes a restart without saving anything.

The two times I have managed to stuff-up enough to need to use an image, I eventually did a factory reset. It started OK, but, had a few strange problems. The factory reset sorted that out.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
joakobo
joakobo began at the beginning.

Smile Bricked too

Hallo,

I Bricked my Kobo Aura HD too, think its Mark 4..
Could anyone give me a working SD Card Image?

Thanx mucho
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM Sent.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
xavtronic
xavtronic began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Hi all,

I think I have bricked my Kobo Aura HD too...
How can I open my Kobo Aura HD (do you have a tuto or a video?) and how rebuilt the SD card image?

Thank you for your help!
Xavier
Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavtronic View Post
I think I have bricked my Kobo Aura HD too...
How can I open my Kobo Aura HD (do you have a tuto or a video?) and how rebuilt the SD card image?
Please be aware that opening it will immediately void your warranty. It's a good idea to first be absolutely sure that it's bricked, and that it's not covered by warranty (which it should be - I think they were released less than a year ago).
Closed Thread