Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Waiting for Zinio, too. Did you sign up for the notification and $5 gift card? Always glad to entice people to play around with their devices!

And for Nate I can only recommend www.precentral.net as a source of information. Installing Preware is not really "hacking" (actually HP supported them) and really easy.

By the way, that PDF fix seems to be for Quickoffice, not Adobe Reader? Couldn't try it yet.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-23-2011 at 10:00 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Yes, I got the $5 Zinio voucher.

The Adobe Reader app is part of the QuickOffice implementation. Within the QuickOffice code they're calling an Adobe service to do the rendering.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #18
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Always glad to entice people to play around with their devices!
Gadgets are for modding and playing. What else would we do with them?

Thanks for the links and info! I'll definitely at the very least get Preware installed, since I'm generally in favor of anything that adds features and functionality. Just because HP ships the ToudhPad with serious limitations doesn't mean it has to stay that way.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Waiting for Zinio, too. Did you sign up for the notification and $5 gift card? Always glad to entice people to play around with their devices!

And for Nate I can only recommend www.precentral.net as a source of information. Installing Preware is not really "hacking" (actually HP supported them) and really easy.

By the way, that PDF fix seems to be for Quickoffice, not Adobe Reader? Couldn't try it yet.
I should keep a closer eye on it, yes. I do have an account there but it's just so huge that i get lost easily.

And yes, installing Preware is hacking. It doesn't come from HP.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If all Preware does is giving you access to more apps, I don't think it technically counts as hacking. Hacking uses what's available and alters it to expand its potential. Installing Preware adds something that wasn't there to begin with, that HP never thought to include, and then uses that to expand on what the device can do, and that's not hacking. That's modding.
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Gadgets are for modding and playing. What else would we do with them?

Thanks for the links and info! I'll definitely at the very least get Preware installed, since I'm generally in favor of anything that adds features and functionality. Just because HP ships the ToudhPad with serious limitations doesn't mean it has to stay that way.
Now that's the spirit! :thumbs:

That is what I have been doing. Now I am reading my newspaper at Pressdisplay in the browser in Ubuntu, something that doesn't work in WebOS since there is no app and the sign-in button can't be pressed in the WebOS browser. Never accept your limitations.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-23-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I should keep a closer eye on it, yes. I do have an account there but it's just so huge that i get lost easily.

Let us not argue about semantics (actually all the equipment Preware has was provided by HP). Point is, you should do it and at least install the patches mentioned.

And you say hacking as if it was a dirty word in this context, lol. Even if we are hacking, we are hacking our own devices!

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-23-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Let us not argue about semantics (actually all the equipment Preware has was provided by HP). Point is, you should do it and at least install the patches mentioned.

And you say hacking as if it was a dirty word in this context, lol. Even if we are hacking, we are hacking our own devices!
Until the software comes from HP, it is hacking.

And it may sound like I use it as a dirty word becuase I usually have bad luck while doing it. That's why I don't hack most of my devices.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Hacking is a dirty word. That doesn't mean it's bad though.

Quote:
That is what I have been doing. Now I am reading my newspaper at Pressdisplay in the browser in Ubuntu, something that doesn't work in WebOS since there is no app and the sign-in button can't be pressed in the WebOS browser. Never accept your limitations.
So are you dual-booting WebOS and Ubuntu, or is Ubuntu running in a VM of some kind?

From a first glance at it, Precentral looks like the place to go for homebrew and other alternative ways of running the TouchPad. Is there any other place I should be aware of, where I can find resources and software?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #25
HansTWN
Wizard

Ubuntu runs in a card, just like a WebOS program. While running Ubuntu you can therefore switch to other programs and it will continue in the background. Sort of like a VM.

Other places you can check out are WebOSInternals (their Wiki pages are often referred to as How-To-Guides) and WebOSRoundup.

And www.xda-developers.com now has a WebOS and a Touchpad section, too. Though rather small and not nearly as thorough. In general they are best for Android and Windows Phone 7.

And now that MeeGo can soon run Android programs, WebOS shouldn't be far behind it -- that would mean all Android apps running just like WebOS apps. Much better than flashing Android!

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-23-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Until the software comes from HP, it is hacking.

And it may sound like I use it as a dirty word becuase I usually have bad luck while doing it. That's why I don't hack most of my devices.
In that case I would advise you not to install Ubuntu yourself (the disk partitioning takes some effort) but Preware is real easy.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #27
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Well, Preware is really just an unmoderated app store. In the Android world, the HP Catalogue would be equivalent to the Amazon Appstore while Preware would be equivalent to the Google Android Market itself.

Just like in the Android Market, in Preware you would check the app description and reviews before installing anything. On an Android device would you install only the apps either specifically written by Google or checked by Amazon?

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-24-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
In that case I would advise you not to install Ubuntu yourself (the disk partitioning takes some effort) but Preware is real easy.
It is easier than the instructions make it look. (I'm really tempted to post my own set of instructions.)

Remind me to tell you about the time that I tried to install BSD and my laptop caught on fire.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #29
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I would have thought since webos is linux based, porting fbreader or coolreader should be fairly straight forward. at least the vanilla versions.
Wonder if it was ever tried.
Pity is i am not able to get a Touchpad at a decent price.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #30
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Ubuntu runs in a card, just like a WebOS program. While running Ubuntu you can therefore switch to other programs and it will continue in the background. Sort of like a VM.
How very very handy...! And I can get cards easily, work sells them.

Now I just need to get the thing. Shipping is slooooooow.