Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
joshy216
joshy216 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Manually copy full filesystem to Kindle 3?

So you know how you've all read a thousand posts that start with "I used to have a Kindle 3 and......sat in a drawer for a long time.....tried to start it up again.....only shows the empty battery screen.....tried soft reset......had to do a hard reset.....etc..."?

Just substitute one of those. For the first part of this post. You've heard it all before.

Now for the (somewhat) novel stuff--I've done, so far as I can tell, about ten thousand different troubleshooting and recovery things to try to get this darn thing working again. Some of my greatest hits:
  • called customer support -- no dice
  • replaced the battery and charged it -- nope
  • ALL the resets -- did nothing
  • shorted across the reset terminals on the PCB for the device -- bupkes
  • put .bin files GALORE in the root directory in recovery mode and restarted -- NO

It will go to recovery mode. When I exit recovery mode it starts to restart, I get the progress bar, and then before it gets halfway full it goes back to the empty battery screen.

I've been trying to figure out how to jailbreak the thing to see if I can get SOME use out of it (I don't have the necessary TTL cable for any of those methods), and the non-serial options involve modifying the existing filesystem. But here's the thing: it doesn't seem to have a filesystem. When I open the device to view files when it's connected to my computer in recovery mode, the drive is empty.

I've checked for hidden files and even tried looking at the partitions. There's one visible partition that is 3GB, and that's it. And it's empty. (Well there's your problem, you might be saying...)

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can get ahold of a disk image or something of ALL of the files that would normally be on that primary partition and copy it over manually. Does that exist? Is it even possible? Would it even work?

Or did I miss something else?

Thank you for any insight you may have.
joshy216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
The "empty USBMS" export is an expected behavior in *some* circumstances.

I honestly don't recall *all* the details, but it's not necessarily indicative of any real failure. What I do seem to recall is that trying to put stuff on it in this state will certainly be useless .

(I *think* that's a vanilla feature of the old mass-storage Linux USB gadget, so, checking its source might yield some info, but probably won't really help you fix it ).
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
joshy216

Huh. Ok. Any thoughts on why it would repeatedly go back to the Empty Battery screen, despite brand new battery and multiple resets (of varying hardness...)?
Old 01-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
I think it's actually genuinely querying the battery status in order to decide whether to punt you to that screen or not, so, might be an HW issue slightly "higher" up the chain?
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Did you try to charge the battery that was in it before you replaced the battery?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
joshy216

I did. Always got the same thing, which I (foolishly, apparently) assumed was because the battery was bad.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Did you ever dump the system messages log, read it, and do you recall the details that lead to the "Empty Battery" screen(s)?

Note: What you describe is a normal and common description of the death of a K3.
Note2: You are not seeing the system file tree, only that tiny portion exported of USB.
Note3: Yes, there are complete K3 system image files (not from Amazon, only here, we are the only place that ever created them). So follow the original K3 de-bricking posts until you find the link to the posted complete image files.
Note4: The person who was maintaining the image archive posting died of cancer this past fall, so the image archive may have been shut down by his heirs.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote