Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
John Reed Death date

I am now working on Smoke by Ivan Turgenev (1818-1883), translated by Constance Garnett (1861-1937), with an Introduction by John Reed. There was an American journalist by that name (1887-1920) who visited and died in Russia. But there is no mention in his Wikipedia article of him being the one who introduced the edition of Smoke published by The Modern Library in 1919.

Can I assume that this man wrote the introduction? Or can anyone point me to another John Reed who did write the introduction? Or is 1920 early enough for me to use the introduction without being sure?

The version I want to use as text source, with John Reed's Introduction, comes from the University of Adelaide ebook library, who say that that it is in the Public Domain in Australia (death+70). I think is far better than the one done by Wikisource which has Edward Garnett's introduction.

Last edited by AlexBell; 11-30-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: missed a word
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It seems like a reasonable assumption to me. Go for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
+1.

As John Silas Reed wrote about the Russian revolution, and was very much a social activist, seems likely that he would author such an introduction. (specially when you read the last few paragraphs of that intro)

BTW, I saw a link for a version in html if it might be useful.
Eldritch Press --- seems to have a few interesting texts. Poor web site though.
http://www.eldritchpress.org/ist/smoke.htm
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
+1.

As John Silas Reed wrote about the Russian revolution, and was very much a social activist, seems likely that he would author such an introduction. (specially when you read the last few paragraphs of that intro)

BTW, I saw a link for a version in html if it might be useful.
Eldritch Press --- seems to have a few interesting texts. Poor web site though.
http://www.eldritchpress.org/ist/smoke.htm
Thanks to you both. I think I'll use something like 'probably translated by...'

After I did the above post last night I thought of emailing the University of Adelaide ebook library to see if they can help, and I'll also try the publisher.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote