Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Ebook newbie!

Hi everyone! I'm Traye and I'm completely new to ebooks.
I'm currently looking for a suitable reader and am having trouble choosing.

I'm from the UK and am an avid reader. I'm running out of room in the house so decided an ebook reader is just the thing I need.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Traye and welcome to MobileRead. Lots of books and no room is how a lot of us ended up here. I've had a Sony 505 for over two years and really like it.

Be sure and check out our Which One Should I Buy section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Hi Traye - I'm a Brit too and have recently gone through the same process as you. Mooching around MR for a while will surely help with your decision - don't be afraid to ask if there's anything you need to know.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Thanks for the welcomes!

TGS, I see you have a 505! I'm considering that reader. What are your thoughts on it?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traye View Post
TGS, I see you have a 505! I'm considering that reader. What are your thoughts on it?
I've only just acquired it - less than a week ago - as a second reader/attempt to get my wife into ereading. So far I'm really impressed. It may not have the "refinement" of more modern readers, but for reading ordinary format fiction it does what it does brilliantly. I really like the lrf format - running things through Calibre to convert them, then side-loading to the reader gives really good results. I have to say though that it wouldn't be any good as my main reader - most of what I read are academic books and papers in pdf and I don't think it would handle them very well.
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Welcome Traye,

I too have a Sony 505 and love it. Whichever reader you choose, this site is probably the most valuable resource you can come across. I've learned so much and gotten so much good advice here.

Again, welcome.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Hi and welcome to MR!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Traye and welcome to MR. Please feel free to post questions if you need clarification. Otherwise enjoy this forum full of fun, information and lots of nice people.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
m4st3r10us
Enthusiast
m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-900 (arrived)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traye View Post
Hi everyone! I'm Traye and I'm completely new to ebooks.
I'm currently looking for a suitable reader and am having trouble choosing.

I'm from the UK and am an avid reader. I'm running out of room in the house so decided an ebook reader is just the thing I need.
Hi and welcome, Traye.
I'm waiting my ebook reader, and i hope that i took the right decission with the winnerrs-900.
When i'll receive it, i'll write the impressions.
I'm very impatient!
m4st3r10us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Traye. Good luck in your choice of reader. These wee things really are life-changers for the bookworm. Like you, my treebook collection was becoming ridiculous. I immediately took to my Sony 505 and stopped buying treebooks. After about six months, I'd lost my sentimentality over my shelves and ruthlessly culled them. There's so much more breathing space at Chez Marr these days. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	hello-yellow.gif
Views:	143
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	50084 Traye, and welcome to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Traye
Zealot

Thankyou guys so much for your welcomes and input!
I'm having a super hard time finding a Sony 505 in the stores as they're discontinued and looked at a 600 today in WHSmiths. It was £219.99. I liked the look of it, it was very nice.

I have some books saved on my PC, are the Sony readers a case of drag and drop files ( much the same as MP3 files ) like my friends Iriver story?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Sony Readers will show up as a physical drive on your computer and you can drag and drop files directly to the Reader. You can also use programs like Calibre and Sony Reader Library to help manage a larger library of ebooks.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
Traye
Zealot

Thankyou Grooks. This site is a godsend to people new to readers.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
TGS
Country Member

You could try going for a used 505 - I picked one up in the Flea Market on here just a couple of weeks ago.