Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Wanting to keep a running count of Readers in the field.
I have a Reader! 375 97.66%
I don't have a Reader, but I want to see the Results 9 2.34%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #136
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, I have my doubts too, I just wondered if anyone had actually tried it.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #137
Solotraveller
Solotraveller began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Just got mine about a month ago, and I love it! When I got it I made sure to download the latest firmware, and then along came the whole "battery not recharging!" panic. Did a hard reset per instructions I found here, and the problem went away. Drained the battery after using it, rechaged, and I was back to "battery not recharging!" panic again! No firmware upgrade this time, so I figured I had a bad unit. Luckily I came across the soft-reset trick, and it worked fine after that.

So, love my Reader, but I do have a question. After I installed the firmware, did the hard reset reset the unit back to factory defaults (no update)?
Advert
Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solotraveller View Post
Just got mine about a month ago, and I love it! When I got it I made sure to download the latest firmware, and then along came the whole "battery not recharging!" panic. Did a hard reset per instructions I found here, and the problem went away. Drained the battery after using it, rechaged, and I was back to "battery not recharging!" panic again! No firmware upgrade this time, so I figured I had a bad unit. Luckily I came across the soft-reset trick, and it worked fine after that.

So, love my Reader, but I do have a question. After I installed the firmware, did the hard reset reset the unit back to factory defaults (no update)?
The best way to find out is to ...

1. Turn on the Reader
2. Go back to the main menu
3. Go to the Settings menu
4. Go to About
5. If you see it says Version 1.0.2.01300 then you have the new firmware.

I cannot tell you the version number of the old firmware. But I highly doubt that a hard-reset will downgrade the firmware. That would mean that the Reader would have to be able to store two complete copies of the firmware in memory. One to actually run and one in case of a hard-reset.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #139
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yeah, I have my doubts too, I just wondered if anyone had actually tried it.
just loaded a testfile up with bookdesigner. It didn't recognize the images in the pdf

BTW. i was wondering if there's a changelog for the firmwares somewhere. Would like to see what's "improved"

Last edited by athlonkmf; 06-05-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #140
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think there probably is a changelog, but it may be in Russian. Isn't there a Readme file in the zips? I don't recall offhand.

I didn't expect BD to handle a PDF, I think you'd have to try it with an RTF or insert the JPGs directly into BD, which would be a bit of a pain.
Advert
Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #141
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think there probably is a changelog, but it may be in Russian. Isn't there a Readme file in the zips? I don't recall offhand.
Sony is writing the changelogs for their firmware in russian????

Quote:

I didn't expect BD to handle a PDF, I think you'd have to try it with an RTF or insert the JPGs directly into BD, which would be a bit of a pain.
which means BD could use some kind of interface where you can automate things, or an intermediate format that it could read in things
But still, unless BD has some kind of image processing in it, the size of the result would be the big
Old 06-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
just loaded a testfile up with bookdesigner. It didn't recognize the images in the pdf
The PDF import for BD is very very simple. It won't load images. What you can try however is ABC Amber PDF Converter and see how that goes for extracting the images. There are other converters out there. Just not easy to find ones that you don't have to pay for.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #143
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Sony is writing the changelogs for their firmware in russian????
<tongue in cheek>Yeah, it's all part of their plan to comply with the GPL without giving us real access, or to make sure that folks like igorsk have a leg up on hacking the rascal. </tongue in cheek>

Seriously, though, I thought you were asking about the BD change logs, got a bit confused there. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #144
thatsmrskills2u
thatsmrskills2u began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I was looking for something like this for most of last year and decided I'd get that Star-e Book thing. By accident I came across PRS-500 yesterday in a Comp USA in New York where I'm on holiday and picked it up immediatly. It's a bit pricey but at the current exchange rate ($300 = £150) plus $50 free book-credit I can't complain.

It's gonna make my life so much easier at University.

Last edited by thatsmrskills2u; 06-19-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: oops - missed something out
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #145
ekbh
ekbh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hey folks, new member here. Just registered here a few minutes ago.

I'm currently on a long business trip in Japan right now, and to help pass the time (too hot, humid and rainy to go sightseeing), I've been reading books.

Unfortunately, the English books here are on the order of $18+. Even for an old paperback! And I've already gone through three in one week. So, I decided to get an e-book reader. Less books to carry back with me.

Thanks to this site, and the helpful comments posted by all you folks, I decided to get the Sony Reader. I ordered it online, had it sent to my sister, and had her mail it across the Pacific. What a pain, but I've got it now!

Boring post, but nice to meet y'all, and thanks for contributing to the site.

Albert.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #146
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Not a boring post, this is the kind of stories we like to hear.

Welcome on board!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And you have plenty of good free books here to download to put on the reader to keep you going as well.

Welcome to the site ekbh. Glad you joined us and if you do have any reader issues, feel free to say so. Someone will try to help if possible.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #148
ekbh
ekbh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks folks. I've spent the last twenty minutes going through the e-books here. Great resource!

It's quite ironic, that I'm in Sony's backyard. And yet, I had to order their Reader from a US company (crutchfield), delivered to a US address, and mailed back to Japan. I suppose it makes sense to somebody.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #149
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Yeah! Lawyers!
Closed Thread