Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
JirkaS
JirkaS began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS 505
Developer support

Hi all,
I'm developer and I'm trying to setup development environemet on Windows. So far I got Python, Bazar, source code, tried the "hello world" test. So far so good. But for any serious development, one need also debugger. I've tried to read thru help, tried posts here, but so far I found no word about how to debug it.
Another question - is there any design documentation, diagrams - about modules for example?
Thanks a lot for comments.
JirkaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I installed the Eclipse IDE which includes a python debugger as an option.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There isn't any design documentation, beyond a brief outline of the code structure in the development section of the User Manual, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer.

On a tangential note, I developed calibre without the use of a debugger and still don't use one today. But python comes witha nice debugging module called pdb. You can use it to do interactive debugging via the command line. Just run

calibre-debug

and you will get a python prompt with a fully initialized calibre environment. You can them import the pdb module and do whatever debugging you want.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
JirkaS

Well, still no luck. if I run calibre-debug, it crashes (crash on the line where is calls ipython()), so no luck.
I also get Eclipse, get Pydef extension, I did some little training on Python and it worked. Next I load calibre sources in Eclipse (created workspace and python project for it), but I still don't know where to start - what is the entry point for running it in debug mode.
You know - I'm novice in Python, all my previous experience was in C, C++ and some C#, so forgive, if these are stupid questions.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JirkaS
... I still don't know where to start - what is the entry point for running it in debug mode.
Have a look at src/calibre/linux.py There is a dictionary called entry_points which will lists them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JirkaS
You know - I'm novice in Python, all my previous experience was in C, C++ and some C#, so forgive, if these are stupid questions.
No question is a stupid question; calibre is a very complex piece of software. Feel free to ask me questions about the design and what not as well.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
JirkaS

Hey, thanks, this is really helpfull. Now one more question - I'm trying to test some changes, but I have my library on the same computer. How to separate development environment and production environment? Is changing the library path enough, or do i need to make more adjustments?
Thanks Jirka
Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Generally speaking changing the library path should be enough, as long as the changes you make don't affect the configuration settings, as they are common too.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
JirkaS

Is there a way to have 2 different sets of configurations other than zipping them and replacing the one one I don't want to use?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Environment variable CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY
Old 11-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
JirkaS

Still problems: now running debugger on debug.py will produce following error:
ImportError: No module named PyQt4.QtCore.
I tried to look it up and yes, there is no such module. Any idea what I need to do?
I see same issue for PyQt4.QtGui and for mechanize.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JirkaS View Post
Still problems: now running debugger on debug.py will produce following error:
ImportError: No module named PyQt4.QtCore.
I tried to look it up and yes, there is no such module. Any idea what I need to do?
I see same issue for PyQt4.QtGui and for mechanize.
Install PyQt4 and mechanize. You will also need to install Qt and all of the other dependencies. Off the top of my head: python-sqlite, lxml, Python Imaging Library, ImageMagick, BeautifulSoup, poppler >= 0.12 and podofo. Oh and since you are on Windows you will need a working install of Microsoft's C++ compiler.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
JirkaS

Do I really need C++? I though this is Python project. This is starting to be a bit too complicated for me....
Old 11-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JirkaS View Post
Do I really need C++? I though this is Python project. This is starting to be a bit too complicated for me....
The vast majority of the application is written in Python. However, a few parts are written in C/C++ for performance reasons.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
JirkaS

OK, I'm a bit further. Now the problem is in load_plugins() "constants.py". It ends on the line:
plugin_path = sys.extensions_location
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'extensions_location'

Last edited by JirkaS; 11-22-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you are using the method oulined in the user manual then you cant execute calibre scripts with a normal python interpreter, you have to use

calibre-debug -e