Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Maemo needs a decent ebook reader

Hey guys, not sure how many of you use the n8xx or any other Maemo powered devices from Nokia, but for those who don't know, it's a completely open source embedded OS built on Linux. So anyone from the community can develop for it if they want. The downside is, other than a rather poorly done port of fbreader, Maemo doesn't have a proper ebook reader.

So I figured that if any of you here were interested, and you can code, you could possibly look into either porting a good quality ebook reader to the Maemo platform, or even writing one. More info on Maemo can be found at maemo.org. I'm merely posting this because I know that the Maemo folks would love a proper ebook reader. I've seen plenty of talk on it lately.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What's wrong with FBReader?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
From what I've been hearing, it doesn't support enough formats, nor supports them properly. I myself don't use the n8xx for an ebook reader, but others do, so I'm sorta writing on their behalf using info I've ready. There's quite a few discussions on it over at talk.maemo.org if you want to dig further into specifics.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I use FBReader on my N800 for reading ebooks all the time and have no problems with the reading experience, yes the library could do with improving but format support it pretty good.

I suggest that before you start compaining about a piece of software, you try it yourself first.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I use FBReader on my N800 for reading ebooks all the time and have no problems with the reading experience, yes the library could do with improving but format support it pretty good.

I suggest that before you start compaining about a piece of software, you try it yourself first.
I don't believe it was a complaint on Lord Raiden's part, but based on what he has read on the other site. I believe the post was made because this could be a item of interest to those who like to code. (see below quotes from his posts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
..... I'm merely posting this because I know that the Maemo folks would love a proper ebook reader. I've seen plenty of talk on it lately.
Quote:
.... I myself don't use the n8xx for an ebook reader, but others do, so I'm sorta writing on their behalf using info I've ready. There's quite a few discussions on it over at talk.maemo.org if you want to dig further into specifics.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post

I've used it, and I agree somewhat with the OP. There are a number of places where FBReader could benefit from a redesign. For example, the interface is suboptimal (from a usability standpoint).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Hey guys, not sure how many of you use the n8xx or any other Maemo powered devices from Nokia, but for those who don't know, it's a completely open source embedded OS built on Linux. So anyone from the community can develop for it if they want. The downside is, other than a rather poorly done port of fbreader, Maemo doesn't have a proper ebook reader.

So I figured that if any of you here were interested, and you can code, you could possibly look into either porting a good quality ebook reader to the Maemo platform, or even writing one. More info on Maemo can be found at maemo.org. I'm merely posting this because I know that the Maemo folks would love a proper ebook reader. I've seen plenty of talk on it lately.
It's not the app it's the DRM license fees needed to add other formats...it is that simple. Sure FBReader is pretty much a dead end app for the OS200x versions of the NIT OS, well for most cases, other than bug fixes and such...that is because Nokia boned the NIT user community in directions they took not only the device but also the OS...BTW, OS2008 basically wrecked the camera functionality on the N800 and Nokia could have cared less and the sychophants running rough shod over the user community went along with it. Basically all the NIT's were for was to allow Nokia to beta test devices which would eventually be used for phones like the N900.

And yeah, you are right about FBReader being a bit weird...and since they moved the forums from InternetTabletTalk.com under the actual Maemo umbrella, it can be somewhat hard to find the threads on the site which explain, in great detail, how best to setup FBReader. If you go to the site you might be able to sleuth out the right threads...once you get it running, I think you will really like most of what FBReader gives you...there is a lot of control in the config even one tab just for NIT's.

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-29-2009 at 08:35 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I don't believe it was a complaint on Lord Raiden's part, but based on what he has read on the other site. I believe the post was made because this could be a item of interest to those who like to code.
Maybe I came across a bit strong on my response.

I was just trying to point out that if you feel there is something wrong with a piece of software, then you should perform some research on the actual software itself, not just base everything on other peoples opinions. That way you could provide a more informed view on the issues and highlight them to the community.

Not all aspect of FBReader are bad.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
No, FBReader is definitely usable. I read with it a lot on my 770 while I was in Thailand.

But it has quirks, and development is, well, not stalled exactly (they just came out with a beta) but not moving at great speed. They work much more on their Java version, and they seem neurotically focused on adding format support -- not on adding usable features, or refining the interface. It's trying to be all things, when they should pick maybe two or three formats and run with it. (ie: epub, fb2 and xhtml)

Bookmarks are killer for me -- I like to correct my ebooks, and without bookmarks I cannot note the errors. Bookmarking has been on their todo list for approximately 10^52 years.

CSS doesn't work, either, so HTML and ePub are iffy. Even fb2 isn't that hot (can't do much layout.) Without layout, you cannot get even mildly complex documents to look good.

So, it's usable, but quirky. And there are not a lot of choices on Linux where ebook-reader software is concerned. It seems to be: FBReader, text only, pdf or your browser.

In the Calibre section, I noted that Calibre's ebook-viewer is an excellent app that would be great as a stand-alone viewer. Installing Calibre to the Nokia tablets is overkill, though, and to the Smart Q series as well.

But ebook-viewer is tightly integrated with Calibre. It would take some effort, I expect, to pry it loose. Still, it reads CSS and has bookmarks. It uses Webkit to render, so it looks good. If a coder wanted to work on something like that, it's probably an easier job than coding from scratch.

$.02

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote