Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #91
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I have my 700 set up for a right to left page forward because it is analogous to turning a page.
first setting I changed as well.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 AM   #92
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I wonder how long it will take some enterprising person to hack dictionaries for other languages?

I could use an Italian dictionary more than an English one.
Or even an English/Italian I had seen the Tommaseo around (but while free, it's a bit old ) for the Cybook but never had the patience to carry on installing it. Of course at the moment we'd just get something antebellum, which could be terrifying
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 04:50 AM   #93
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
I first bought the 700 because it was the newest model, and I generally go with the latest "bestest" gadget. I remember the moment it arrived at my door, I opened the box, and looked at the screen and I drew a breath. It was soupy green. I was sorely dissappointed. I tried living with it for about 6 months. Just couldnt get past the clarity and brightness. So I bought a 505. Which I totally adore. Perfect device.

I gave the 700 to a gal at work who really reads as much as I do, but as a single mom could never afford to buy one. She LOVES it. She reads without the sidelights on. I could never do that. I asked her if the screen color bothered her, and she looked at me quite quizzically. I did not show her the 505 screen. I do not want her to know the difference.
That's exactly it. If you read w/ natural or ambient lighting the 505 is the way to go, if you have the 700, to me, it only looks good w/ the side lights on, and preferably in landscape mode. I'd say I use my prs-700 85% of the time and use my prs-505 15% of the time, but that's only because I read with some type or reading light 85% of the time. With the side lights on the contrast looks like paper, but with them off, the contrast is really much too low in my opinion. Oh... if they will only make a 700 with the "paper" of the 505 & dictionary! Perhaps in another year or two.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #94
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm planning on getting a 600 just for reading Non-fiction. I need annotations with non-fiction, and I won't mind reading it in brighter light.

For fiction I'll hang onto my trust 505.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:15 AM   #95
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_video View Post
"Turning page by dragging on the screen" works like a charm and is also intuitive like flipping pages in a book.
Strangely the action is set by default from left to right. Fortunately the motion is adjustable and can be easily changed in the reverse direction (right to left) in the option panel if yo prefer the other way around.
By holding on the touch screen after dragging, you can also turn pages repeatedly
Screen refresh quickly done on a flip page action
If you get tired of using screen there is also the "page turn buttons" [ < ] or [ > ] which can be used
Thank you for your answer! Also, what comes with the Reader in terms of protection? I understand there's a case, but is there a book-like cover in the box too?

Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #96
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Thank you for your answer! Also, what comes with the Reader in terms of protection? I understand there's a case, but is there a book-like cover in the box too?

I dont have the 600 but from what I read here on the site it just comes with a protection case like the soft cases for laptops.
Someone ( i think doodlydood) mentioned in his video that the sony covers that came with the 505 also works with the 600.

you can see the pic of the case here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=53402&page=2
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #97
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
I dont have the 600 but from what I read here on the site it just comes with a protection case like the soft cases for laptops.
Someone ( i think doodlydood) mentioned in his video that the sony covers that came with the 505 also works with the 600.

you can see the pic of the case here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=53402&page=2
Thanks- it also makes sense with the holes on the top and bottom on the "spine" side. Good!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #98
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverh72 View Post
Okay I went and took another look and took some better photos. You can see all the photos here: http://www.positivebias.com/ebooks/ including some taken directly next to the prs700. After seeing them side by side again, I would say that the 600 is better than the 700, marginally. The 300 and 505 are definitely crisper though, and handle glare much better, as you can see in the first 2 photos in the gallery.
Some very helpful pics there, they haven't put me off a 600, but thankfully for my bank balance it won't have me rushing straight out to upgrade either.

The biggest surprise for me with those pics is how nice I thought the 300 looks, what seemed like fairly minimal size reduction (vs 505) when you read the dimensions is nicely noticeable when they are side by side and with the price you have to think that its going to do more than its fair share to encourage more people to get into ebooks.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #99
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Hi Folks,

to those of you who own/have tried a 600, please share your experience with the annotation feature! As I d use it mainly for non-fiction/academic text, this is an important feature for me. I m especially interested in options for annotating pdfs (is it possible? Are the notes saved into the pdf or into an extra file? is there a difference in the note functionality for different text formats such as epub etc?) and would like to know if the 600 recognises handwriting and/or if the on-screen keyboard can be used to add notes to text.

I think several people in this thread asked for details on the annotate function, so it would be really great if a lucky 600 user could share her/his experience

thanks in advance!
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #100
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
My head hurts trying to decide Sounds like the 600 is not the way to go as I already have an excellent 505, now to figure out do I buy myself a cute pink 300 and give my 505 to DH or buy him another 505 while they're still out there.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #101
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
My head hurts trying to decide Sounds like the 600 is not the way to go as I already have an excellent 505, now to figure out do I buy myself a cute pink 300 and give my 505 to DH or buy him another 505 while they're still out there.
Get him a 505 now while you still can, if you change your mind later you can always buy yourself a 300/600 later, you just need to find the right feeble justification for it at that time.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #102
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Get him a 505 now while you still can, if you change your mind later you can always buy yourself a 300/600 later, you just need to find the right feeble justification for it at that time.
I have a red 505 in my shopping cart. Just waiting for the press release and then hit checkout
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #103
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I have a red 505 in my shopping cart. Just waiting for the press release and then hit checkout
Do eeeet.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #104
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Wink

Quote:
Look at both of the new ones... waiting a few more weeks will not hurt.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #105
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
FYI Sony's Reader team to present something August 25.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote