Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony campaign: Man will live in a store window, reading for 30 days

Added: Some additional information about the idea behind this campaign.

Those gagging for some hot Sony Reader action will be pleased to know that Sony is going to stage a 30-day-long "read-in" event at Manhattan electronics retailer Datavision from October 1st to October 30th.

Quote:
For 30 days, around the clock, 24/7, a man will live in a retail storefront window reading his way through as many pages as he possibly can.

Sony's "Man in the Window" will be David Farrow, a world-renowned speed reader and has held the Guinness Book of World Record's title for memorization twice over, having overcome his own challenges with both dyslexia and ADD.

Farrow will read his way through the 30 days from a Sony Digital Reader, and for every page he turns, Sony will donate one eBook classics library, consisting of 100 titles, to a U.S. school, with the goal of donating 150,000 libraries, or 15 million books.
The starting date of this event is perhaps not a coincidence, considering that on October 2nd, Sony is planning to open a new chapter on digital reading, also happening in NYC.

PS: Geardiary has a photo of the storefront window. Also, the first 100 schools that activate their accounts will also receive education packs of five Sony Readers each to get them started.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf pressrelease.rtf (2.7 KB, 476 views)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
How may I apply for this job?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I ran across this story last night and the thing that struck me was the give-away.

What good are Sony eBook classics going to do a school unless they are providing readers as well? And what's the big deal about giving something away that can be had for free anyway?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I ran across this story last night and the thing that struck me was the give-away.

What good are Sony eBook classics going to do a school unless they are providing readers as well? And what's the big deal about giving something away that can be had for free anyway?
Most likely people arent aware of the fact that it doesnt cost Sony anything to give those away, so it's a good publicity stunt I guess.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Most likely people arent aware of the fact that it doesnt cost Sony anything to give those away, so it's a good publicity stunt I guess.
Good stunt for now but what if there is a backlash from the schools. "Hey, this company gave us something we can't use. Thanks a lot!"
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Two questions:

- I assume the guy doesn't have to stay awake for the entire 30 days, does he?

- Sony will donate 100 classics to one school for each page turned? Big deal. We could make that about 2000 classics (each in LRF format) for 1000 schools per page turned and it wouldn't cost anyone a dime.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
How may I apply for this job?
You only have to hold the record for being the fastest reader in the world. Simple really, only one requirement.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
- Sony will donate 100 classics to one school for each page turned? Big deal. We could make that about 2000 classics (each in LRF format) for 1000 schools per page turned and it wouldn't cost anyone a dime.
I still don't see how giving ebooks to a school (no matter what format) is helpful if they don't have anything to read them on. The schools that could benefit the most probably don't even have computers to read them on. They need to give away a few readers or a computer to each school as well.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I still wish it were me. But you know my warped sense of humor. I'd be doing charades with passersby with "novel" as the category, eating junk food and getting cheese curl cheese on everything, and then it would devolve quickly to mooning the "normals" and making funny faces against the storefront glass.

But I'd sure like the opportunity to read for 30 days. (Or was it hours? Not worth the trouble of re-reading the article, I'm feeling lazy today. But not Scottish, so at least we can be grateful for something.)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
I expect they really wanted David Blaine hanging upside down reading from a PRS505.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I was going to post the exact same question.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I was going to post the exact same question.

BOb
Well, of course the ebooks are useless unless the schools buy Readers. I think that is most certainly the point - Sony hopes to entice some schools to buy into their hardware. We should watch and see how successful they are (any bets?)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
How many people read this thread?
It looks like we have "slashdoted" the original article at
http://www.geardiary.com/2008/09/28/...ader-marathon/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
How many people read this thread?
It looks like we have "slashdoted" the original article at
http://www.geardiary.com/2008/09/28/...ader-marathon/
Works fine here.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Well, of course the ebooks are useless unless the schools buy Readers. I think that is most certainly the point - Sony hopes to entice some schools to buy into their hardware. We should watch and see how successful they are (any bets?)
No, my point isn't that the ebook files are usless... but that they are freely obtainable. So, basically Sony is giving each school a 25¢ cd.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote