Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Problem converting a webpage html to LRF, what program should I use? Long page turns

Hi,

It's a little embarrassing to admit, but I suddenly remembered (due to the FLAG program advertised here) that there was a harry potter fanfic i'd picked up at one point and never finished. So I went to a site where such fanfics were linked and managed to find it, and just did save link as and managed to save the html to my computer. I then used Calibre to convert to lrf.

Now, I noticed that for some reason, even though the convert was successful, my conversion defaults in Calibre had not worked with the html. I've generally gotten rid of large margins on the left, right, top, and bottom, but this .lrf file has very large margins all around. That is not a big problem at all, in some ways it makes the text look nicer imo, it just means more page turns which I don't like.

HOWEVER.. the biggest problem is that page turns take 3-4 times the normal time. I thought my reader was frozen the first time i tried to look at this file on my Reader.

I'm guessing this html has some really strong built-in parameters I can't seem to override (the margins) and some other issues causing long page turns. None of my other files have ever done this.

What program should I use to convert this to a more user-friendly .lrf file? Or should I just try to copy and paste all the text into an .rtf file? Any ideas on what is causing the long page turns? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

The html page was this one, btw:
http://trickster.org/res/transfig.html
While it is supposed to have a great deal of male on male sex, it's also supposed to be one of the best fanfics out there. I've only read a few pages but I was very very impressed by the writing quality and the characterization. Worth taking a look at, .. this is my first fanfic, but it really makes me think there is some really good stuff out there.

P.S. Let me try to clarify: I'm guessing the way I tried converting this html to a .lrf file was a very non-optimal way. Is there a better way to convert webpages to a Reader-friendly format?

P.P.S. and I guess I could try reading the .html directly on the Reader, not sure how well that would turn out..

Last edited by seajewel; 07-23-2008 at 03:03 AM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just took a look at the HTML and it's pretty poorly coded. But to get it to allow you to set margins properly, remove the <blockquote></blockquote> codes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert