Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Copyright renewal records for US books online

I found the following information on BoingBoing today:

Quote:
A Google engineer has tracked down, munged and XMLified the copyright renewal notices for all the books the US Copyright Office knows about -- now there's a one-click way to discover if an old book is in the public domain (more or less) and who holds the copyright if it isn't.
So now you can find out if the US copyright of a book has been renewed by just one click.

Database download page: Link
Attached Files
File Type: pdf letter_from_marybeth_peters.pdf (39.7 KB, 588 views)

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 06-25-2008 at 04:24 AM. Reason: slightly edited for frontpage
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Question: What do I use to view a 56MB XML file?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Nergal
eBuchReisender
Nergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten-E, iLiad
Nate the Great, I just downloaded it, unpacked it has a size of 371.6 MB

In case you have some Unix derivate at hand:

less google-renewals-all-20080624.xml

and I had within a second the first record. Though with all the tags around.

cat google-renewals-all-20080624.xml | grep 'Tolkien'

and I found pretty quick there are indeed some books with copyright still, now I think some simple xml-viewer for this file is needed.

a third check in similar way: cat google-renewals-all-20080624.xml | grep 'Puchstein'
gave not a single entry, so for sure this is not a complete catalogue (I wonder how big that file would have to be ...)
Nergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Question: What do I use to view a 56MB XML file?
Personally, I would import it into a Visual FoxPro database and then be able to do quick queries against it. If I were so inclined to need to do so.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Jeff Duntemann
Enthusiast
Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3; also Moto G Stylus phone
Stanford did this some time ago, and there's a very nice Web interface:

http://collections.stanford.edu/copy...1A53459D8CD4A9

Most people don't have much call to view 300+ MB databases, so this approach is probably a lot better. I don't know if this is precisely the same database as Google extracted from government records, but it's still very useful.
Jeff Duntemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duntemann View Post
Stanford did this some time ago, and there's a very nice Web interface:

http://collections.stanford.edu/copy...1A53459D8CD4A9

Most people don't have much call to view 300+ MB databases, so this approach is probably a lot better. I don't know if this is precisely the same database as Google extracted from government records, but it's still very useful.
Thanks Jeff.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Now, if only the copyright office would allow me to send my latest book in as a digital file, instead of printed pages...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergal View Post
Nate the Great, I just downloaded it, unpacked it has a size of 371.6 MB

In case you have some Unix derivate at hand:

less google-renewals-all-20080624.xml

and I had within a second the first record. Though with all the tags around.
A Windows console version of less is available from the Less home page: http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less/index.html

Quote:
cat google-renewals-all-20080624.xml | grep 'Tolkien'
"grep Tolkien google-renewals-all-20080624.xml" also works. No need for the cat and pipeline.

A Windows console version of grep is available as part of a set of Gnu utilities for Windows, here: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm

Quote:
and I found pretty quick there are indeed some books with copyright still, now I think some simple xml-viewer for this file is needed.
The challenge will be the file size. I tried a couple of XML viewers/editors, and they choked on it with out of memory errors. (I have a 3,1ghz Pentium box running XP Pro with 1GB of RAM.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
EmEditor can work with large files. But I prefer the viewer built in in my FAR Manager - as it doesn't try to load up the whole file for editing, viewing and searching is extremely quick for any file size.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
EmEditor can work with large files. But I prefer the viewer built in in my FAR Manager - as it doesn't try to load up the whole file for editing, viewing and searching is extremely quick for any file size.
I think I have FAR Manager around here. I'll have to play with it a bit.

Open Office Base 2.4 and 3.0 choked trying to import it.

I was able to actually open it with a neat freeware product called Henry's Textplorer, but it took a fair bit of time to do it, and searches in the file were likewise slow. (Textplorer is here: http://www.henrykellner.com/Textplorer/index.html)

I suppose I could manage to import it to a MySQL or PostgreSQL database, but it isn't worth the trouble. Less and grep will do for the limited uses I have.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Hummmm..at home I have an 8GB Ram/4TB HD MacPro. I'll give it a try after work.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote