Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I am getting divorce ...

... of GoodReader app.

Yep. It has been 2+ years of pure joy. Reading, annotating and enjoying PDF documents (IT related books on that format). But since iOs 7 upgrade, the app. is just a constant pain! It crashes every minute (literally) and even after changing to a slower engine, it keeps doing the same. I can't even see the content as the app. renders nothing, just a blank page.

I am now using Documents by Readdle. Which to my surprise, it is free!

Documents has a cleaner and easier interface. Maybe not so many features but it does not crash and renders my PDF files really fast. So if someone reads lot of PDF files on an iPad, I fully recommend it as a nice alternative.

Has anyone experiencing the same issue with GoodReader? I know Harry loves it. If that's the case, I am curious to know how the issue was fixed.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
You're comparing skateboards with airplanes. Readdle's alternative to GoodReader is PDF Expert, not Documents. Documents gives zero annotation options, so it's no alternative to GoodReader for me. PDF Expert can't quite compete with GoodReader, either; especially the iPhone version is inferior.

By the way, both are Russian apps.

I would blame iOS 7 for any current GoodReader issues. (Not observed by me so far.) iOS 7 is an unmitigated disaster in every respect, creating lots of problems of all kinds on both iPad and iPhone for me. If I could return to iOS 6, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I have been busy and hadn't realized there were problems with the new Apple headliner OS.."

Is it on the order of "i maps" and "i sirii?"
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I have been busy and hadn't realized there were problems with the new Apple headliner OS.."

Likely worse since you can't just install a different ROM on an iPhone and I don't think there's a jailbreak available yet.

I'm keeping my iPads on iOS 6. There's mixed reactions to iOS 7 (I don't like it myself) but I think it's universally acknowledged that iOS now has stutters it didn't used to have (reminiscent of Ice Cream Sandwich). Alas, I don't think current Chinese 9.7" retina display tablets are good enough for daily usage just yet and I highly doubt the likes of Samsung, et. al. will be releasing a 10" 4:3 200+ ppi Android tablet so I'm still stuck with the iPad for now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
I'm experiencing similar issues with GoodReader (not crashing every minute but much more than it ever did and in many cases pages rendering black). I hope they're working on a new version.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy

Quote:
In my experience, much, much worse. Maps were a storm in the teacup compared to this nightmare. Apple seems to be going downhill fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I'm keeping my iPads on iOS 6.
You are a wise man, and I'm very stupid to have upgraded recklessly. I'll never upgrade to a major iOS version again, unless it's 100% unavoidable. I'll likely also ditch iOS for Android as soon as my mission-critical apps (like Marvin), or equivalents quality-wise, become available on Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
I'm experiencing similar issues with GoodReader (not crashing every minute but much more than it ever did and in many cases pages rendering black). I hope they're working on a new version.
I heard something to that effect. These days, I cringe whenever I hear the trumpets of, "Here comes our app in iOS 7 style now!" Almost always, this means the new app version is utterly hideous to look at (like iOS 7 itself), and it may also malfunction. iOS 7 is living hell.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, well at least apple maps could be rectified by installing google maps, and you didn't NEED to use siri, but redesigning the system interface doesn't have a fix.

You might try ensuring all your devices have signed SHSH blobs to create your own downgrade "updates". You might need to be jailbroken, or you could use this program: http://blog.firmwareumbrella.com/faq/ to save them manually while Apple still signs updates.

Or of course switch to Android.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Unhappy

You know, I wouldn't mind any of iOS 7's flaws if Apple simply gave every user the reasonable option to return to the reliably performing iOS 6. OK, so I (recklessly) gave iOS 7 a try, and I absolutely hate its guts, so why can't I return to iOS 6??? The non-delivered alerts and notifications nightmare only seems to have started for me with iOS 7.0.3. This is 2013, for heaven's sake, no longer 2007 and iPhone's infancy. Today you really feel like a slave of iOS, instead of its user and a valued customer; "prisoner" and "jailbreak" are understatements at this point. Even simple, trivial app downgrades are impossible in iOS, so I always need to perform them manually using iFunBox, having previously backed up the IPA files manually as well. This is as anti-smart as an operating system can get. I'm not surprised that the word freedom is prominently, repeatedly highlighted in Google's announcement of Android 4.4. Freedom, or respect for your wishes and preferences, is definitely not something you should ever expect by default as an Apple software user. It's really sickening.

Last edited by Faterson; 11-04-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Get signed SHSH blobs (while you still can) for all your devices in case you ever need to downgrade.

Then get irritated at the need to do so and switch over to android.

Problem solved.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Not solved at this point, because Android still lacks mission-critical apps for me (or equal-quality alternatives), particularly Marvin, Mailbox, Toodledo, Nebulous Notes and others.

I'll never again upgrade to another major iOS version if it can possibly be avoided, so I hope I'll never need any SHSH blobs. (Or that I'll be able to switch to Android before I'd need them.)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Wow. I haven't seen much mention of this except here.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Wow. I haven't seen much mention of this except here.
From AnandTech: The iPad Air Review:

Quote:
My only complaint about task switching on the iPad Air is that UI frame rate will regularly drop below 30 fps during some of these transitions. The added GPU performance on the A7 doesn't seem to really impact things compared to the A6X, so I’m fairly convinced at this point that the solution to the problem will have to come in software. It’s quite reminiscent of the Retina MacBook Pro UI frame rate issues under Mountain Lion, although not nearly as bad (and I’m hoping it won’t take a year to get these ones resolved).

The release of iOS 7.0.3 addressed (at least partially) some of my concerns around the OS. As I already mentioned, stability on 64-bit platforms seems somewhat improved - at least compared to the initial release of iOS 7. The other big improvement in my mind is the ability to turn off/reduce the transition animations. The impact to usability on the iPhone 5s is huge, but it’s also pretty significant on the iPad Air. The animations themselves are pretty but I find that they get repetitive after continued use.
Quote:
Although things seem to have improved with iOS 7.0.3, the 64-bit builds of the OS still seem to run into stability issues more frequently than their 32-bit counterparts. I still see low memory errors associated with any crashes. It could just be that the move to 64-bit applications (and associated memory pressure) is putting more stress on iOS’ memory management routines, which in turn exposes some weaknesses. The iPad Air crashed a couple of times on me (3 times total during the past week), but no where near as much as earlier devices running iOS 7.0.1.
There's also a more in-depth iOS 7 review.
http://anandtech.com/show/7343/the-ios-7-review
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
So ... which one are you using now? or you are just waiting for a fix?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

iOS7 is okay. He is just pissed because of the aesthetics and now spends all his time slamming iOS7. It might not look as pretty as iOS6 to some people, but it is much more feature rich and there are no major issues like with Maps.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

iOS 7 has next to no new features compared to iOS 6. In fact, it removed some of iOS 6's useful features, such as the ability to post directly to Facebook/Twitter from the notification area. (I had to install a separate new app, called DoublePost, to replace the functionality.) And I was definitely experiencing the major issue of not receiving notifications properly in iOS 7. In the thread with the poll, up to 51% of those who voted say they prefer the earlier iOS 6 over iOS 7.