Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Cherry Ames - ebrary only?

I was wondering if the Cherry Ames books, which I had read as a child, were available as ebooks. Googling "Cherry Ames ebook" got me to this page (and similar pages for the sequels). From what I can tell, Ebrary is only available to libraries, not individual customers. I then looked at the publisher's website and found their page about the Cherry Ames books, but there didn't seem to be any reference to ebook versions.

It's not available through Fictionwise or Books on Board. If I hadn't found it at all, I would have just said "oh well", but since it is available through ebrary, there's obviously an electronic (probably PDF) version created. So where is it?

What's the appropriate next step? Should I be contacting the publisher (Springer)? The distributor (Matthews)? or the stores (Fictionwise and BoB)?
My public library has Overdrive, but hadn't heard of Ebrary. Neither had I until today.

(I'm not sure whether this is in the right forum, so if a mod thinks it would be more appropriate elsewhere please feel free to move it.)
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I've never heard of "ebrary" either. For your next step, I'd recommend that you contact the publisher.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
*wow*

I thought I was the only person in the world who ever heard of the Cherry Ames books. Great memories. I was an only child, but Trixie Beldan, Cherry Ames, Nancy Drew, and of course, as a good little Canadian girl, Anne Shirley, were my very good friends.

Good luck hunting them down, and please let me know what you do find.

Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
*wow*

I thought I was the only person in the world who ever heard of the Cherry Ames books. Great memories. I was an only child, but Trixie Beldan, Cherry Ames, Nancy Drew, and of course, as a good little Canadian girl, Anne Shirley, were my very good friends.

Tracey
I loved these books too! I would spend my summers cycling back and forth to the library to check them out -- I think I managed to read all of them at least twice!

I have looked for all of them as ebooks, but haven't found any yet, but still looking!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia103 View Post
From what I can tell, Ebrary is only available to libraries, not individual customers.
My university has access to some books through Ebrary and I believe it is aimed at libraries and not individuals. And unfortunately it only lets you read the book online (a bit like NetLibrary or MyiLibrary) or print a small number of pages. So even if you could get access to Ebrary it wont help you get the book on your PRS.

By the way, Google Books has limited previews of many Cherry Ames books.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
*wow*

Tracey

Oh no, I love Cherry Ames, and Sue Barton, too. Please keep us updated on any information you find for these.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
skwbaker@mac.com
skwbaker@mac.com began at the beginning.

Device: ibooks on iPad
I found this site looking for a CHEAPER version of the Cherry Ames books by Helen Wells. They are all, or all that I know of available on the iTunes site. My bugaboo(k) is that they are $14.99 per book. Other limit for non Apple users is that they are all in ibook format. However, someone had to convert them from epub to ibook format. So assume they are available somewhere in another or maybe many other formats if ibooks doesn't work for you, or if like me you are annoyed to pay so much for a paperless book costing nothing to reproduce.
skwbaker@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
skwbaker@mac.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Oh no, I love Cherry Ames, and Sue Barton, too. Please keep us updated on any information you find for these.
itunes also has some Trixie Beldon audiobooks. Four I think.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwbaker@mac.com View Post
I found this site looking for a CHEAPER version of the Cherry Ames books by Helen Wells. They are all, or all that I know of available on the iTunes site. My bugaboo(k) is that they are $14.99 per book. Other limit for non Apple users is that they are all in ibook format. However, someone had to convert them from epub to ibook format. So assume they are available somewhere in another or maybe many other formats if ibooks doesn't work for you, or if like me you are annoyed to pay so much for a paperless book costing nothing to reproduce.
They didn't need "converting" from ePub; iBooks' format IS ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Google sells the Cherry Ames ebooks for $9.99 apiece. Kobo sells them for about $13 apiece; they are coupon eligible there.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
skwbaker@mac.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwbaker@mac.com View Post
So far the Amazon.com site is the cheapest for the Cherry Ames books. Any idea however if you can get them in epub? I emailed Amazon and got back a really convoluted answer that summed up seemed to be yes, or maybe no. On the site they offer only the Kindle version.:help?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buy the Kindle book. Use Calibre to convert to ePub. Google "Apprentice Alf" for assistance if the books have DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Buy the Kindle book. Use Calibre to convert to ePub. Google "Apprentice Alf" for assistance if the books have DRM.
Why bother when Google sells the epub version at the same price as Amazon?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Twelve of these are on sale at Amazon for $2.99 each until 3/10/2013 as part of their The Big Deal sale.

See post.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote