Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Embedding fonts in AZW3/KF8

I'm trying to convert an ePub containing embedded fonts to AZW3 format, but my Kindle Touch does not find them, while it does if I convert the file via KindleGen.

What i'm doing is:
  1. edit ePub with sigil;
  2. add needed fonts to the "Fonts" subdir. This results in a new line in content.opf file:
    Code:
    "<item href="Fonts/gi.ttf" id="my.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf" />
  3. add @font-face definitions to CSS:
    Code:
    @font-face {
      font-family: "MyFont";
      font-weight: normal;
      font-style: normal;
      src: url(../Fonts/my.ttf);
    }
  4. add Font-Family: MyFont where needed.

Then I save the file and convert it to AZW3 with calibre, but my Kindle (firmware 5.1.0) does not show an option to enable them.

If I process the same file with KindleGen, everything is working fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by pirl8; 07-08-2012 at 04:20 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can convert an ePub with embedded fonts using Kindlegen and it works fine as far as the Kindle Tough works. I can use the embedded fonts no problem. But when I use Calibre to convert the ePuyb to KF8, the embedded font fail to work.

This is something that really needs to be fixed..

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to atatch a sample epub file that demonstrates the problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need to atatch a sample epub file that demonstrates the problem.
See PM. I've posted a link to an ePub with embedded fonts that I've been using to test. It does show that the embedded fonts are not displaying when converted via Calibre. They do display if I use Kindlegen to convert the ePub.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here it is.
Thank you very much, Kovid.
Attached Files
File Type: epub sample.epub (371.9 KB, 428 views)
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
Here it is.
Thank you very much, Kovid.
@JSWolf: Two samples are better than one ;-)
Old 07-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@JSWolf: Two samples are better than one ;-)
I agree. I'm glad you picked up on this. It is something that needs to be fixed as sometimes Calibre can generate a better looking KF8 given the other thread on the differences in the conversions.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
sometimes Calibre can generate a better looking KF8
It also generates KF8s which are half in size in respect of those made by KindleGen, which tries to put both mobi6 and mobi8 in a single file. This is something I don't like, also because - for example - KindleGen fails to convert properly SVG images for mobi6, while Calibre does a very good job.

Apart of this, it's good to have two alternatives (and Kovid listens users much more than Kindlegen developers).

Last edited by pirl8; 07-08-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The resulting azw3 file has embedded fonts as seen in Kindle Previewer. See attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fonts.png
Views:	1191
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	88894  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The resulting azw3 file has embedded fonts as seen in Kindle Previewer. See attached screenshot.
Yes, it does. The fonts also display in Kindle for PC. But the Kindle Touch with firmware 5.1 does not acknowledge that the fonts are there if Calibre does the conversion to KF8. But if I use Kindlegen to convert the ePub, then the Kindle Touch does recognize that the fonts exist.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I just tried uploading the two samples converted with kindlegen to the Touch and neither of them showed embedded fonts. So as far as I can tell, the Kindle Touch has no support for embedded fonts, period. Both calibre and kindlegen produced files show embedded fonts in Kindle Previewer and not on the Kindle Touch. This is on a Kindle Touch with firmware 5.1.0 (1557760049)

Given all the other problems with kf8 on the Touch, I recommend you simply do not use it on the Touch.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
I just tried uploading the two samples converted with kindlegen to the Touch and neither of them showed embedded fonts. So as far as I can tell, the Kindle Touch has no support for embedded fonts
I've attached a screenshot of my sample converted with KindlePreviewer v2.4. You can find the converted sample here.

KindlePreviewer v2.4 should use KindleGen 2.4 (but maybe doesnt?).

The Kindle firmware is the same as your.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-09T09_24_26-0200.gif
Views:	637
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	88899  

Last edited by pirl8; 07-09-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #13
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
I've attached a screenshot of my sample converted with KindlePreviewer v2.4. You can find the converted sample here.

KindlePreviewer v2.4 should use KindleGen 2.4 (but maybe doesnt?).

The Kindle firmware is the same as your.

P.S. I recall that you have to enable publisher font tapping on the "Aa" icon while reading the book.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Your sample.azw3 looks nothing like that on my Touch. What is the firmware version of your Touch? Maybe I need to demand a new Touch from Amazon.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
P.S. I recall that you have to enable publisher font tapping on the "Aa" icon while reading the book.
Ah, that's the trick.