Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Nook STR(&Color) Cover meta Tag

I ran across a rather irritating problem this weekend.

Nook STR (and Color from what I've read), doesn't recognize:
Code:
<meta content="coverimg" name="cover"/>
...in content.opf. It insists on having:
Code:
<meta name="cover" content="coverimg"/>
...with the name attribute first.

Sigil and apparently caliber epub->epub conversion will 'correct' the problem. But since calibre is already modifying the epub to include the current calibre cover when it sends to the device, perhaps it could insure that order in the meta tag, too?
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC that's not the problem with Nooks. The problem is that the id of the cover element has to be "cover" and not anything else. see the workaround_nook_cover_bug function in the calibre source code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's both, actually. I didn't know about the id="cover" requirement, but I already had it.

I've tested each independently. My Nook STR requires both that the id of the cover(html) item be 'cover' and the meta tag have attribute name="cover" first. IE, <meta name="cover" content="image0000"/>, not <meta content="image0000" name="cover"/>.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well, the order is rather trivial, I've committed a patch for it. The id="cover" is not so trivial. You will have to write a whole lot of code to set the name to cover while simultaneously updating the manifest and the spine, taking care of the case where some other element with id="cover" already exists in the manifest. All that makes it way too much effort for me, but patches are welcome.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Thanks!
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
InspiredLife
InspiredLife began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Any news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well, the order is rather trivial, I've committed a patch for it.
Hi there,
Is there any news on this patch?

I've also confirmed that when the tags in the cover metadata have "content" before "name" it will prevent the cover from displaying on the Nook Touch.

I've also confirmed that any actions taken within Calibre to alter the EPUB or to reconvert it will put these tags with content before name. It's a nook bug which I have reported to B&N, but I won't hold my breath for them to fix it.

If I use the Modify EPUB operation (which I suspect is a plugin) it also puts the tags around the "wrong" (according to Nook's bug) way.

It would be great to have a simple fix to this. Right now I have to open every EPUB in Sigil, open the opd file, and hit SAVE. For some reason that causes Sigil to switch the tag around.

Cheers,

Inspired
InspiredLife is offline   Reply With Quote