Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Barnes & Noble To Take On Amazon (Again) With A New 8GB Nook Tablet

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/20/bar...b-nook-tablet/

Quote:
Barnes & Noble seemed pleasantly surprised when they announced their Nook Tablet “exceeded expectations” over the holidays, but their 70% year-over-year jump in device sales paled in comparison to rival Amazon’s 177%.

That their flagship Nook Tablet cost a full $50 more than the Kindle Fire certainly didn’t help, but that should change soon — according to a document obtained by The Verge, Barnes & Noble will release a new 8GB version of the Nook Tablet on February 22.

While the original Nook Tablet sported 16GB of onboard memory, the new version will feature the same amount as the bestselling Kindle Fire. A decrease in memory capacity also signals a corresponding dip for the price tag, which means that BN is looking to take Amazon on at their own game. It’s a smart, if possibly-overdue move for BN — Amazon has already been playing up their price advantage with a national marketing campaign, and while it targets the iPad specifically, the message still applies to BN’s slightly pricier tablet.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I wonder if that means they'll be halving the amount of memory that people can use for non-BN content. That was like 1.3GB for the Nook Tablet, so now they'd only get .65GB!
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
They really need to improve their app store. It's pathetic.

I'm still stunned that the Fire ended up being the more open of the 2 devices, but even if you stick to the walled gardens (as most do), you can get by just fine on the Amazon App store. The selection on the Nook store is small and many apps are not updated.

I had a tablet for a couple weeks. Very glad I took it back.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I believe both should just give in and let us install sd cards.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
I wonder if that means they'll be halving the amount of memory that people can use for non-BN content. That was like 1.3GB for the Nook Tablet, so now they'd only get .65GB!
...and drop RAM from 1GB to 512MB?

...and eliminate the mSD card slot? and mic? and volume buttons?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
This should be in the News section.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
This should be in the News section.
It already is, but it's getting more hits over here.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And the price of the KF will drop to ....

Anyone want another?

The NT 2 is pretty much a duplicate of features supposedly and is going to be $199 from what I'm gathering in my travels on the net. 8GB the only change.

Last edited by robertc88; 02-20-2012 at 07:07 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
You'd have thought they would have been working on coming up with something to combat Amazons upcoming release. To me this just doesn't make since.

Quote:
Foxconn Electronics has received a massive order from Amazon to start producing the followup to the widely successful Kindle Fire Tablet. It is apparent that the Chinese company will begin pumping out thousands of the 10 inch Kindle Fire. This new e-reader and tablet hybrid is slated to be released in the second quarter of 2012.

It is obvious that the Kindle Fire has received tons of acclaim for being the second most popular Android tablet in the world. Research firm iSupply noted that the company has sold over 3.2 million tablet since launching in November 2011. The move to a larger screen makes sense not only to compete with the iPad but also have a stronger vehicle for their Streaming Video service. It goes without saying that movies and television shows will offer a better viewing experience on a 10 inch tablet. Don’t forget Amazon has already signed original content producers for the launch of this device. They are making it a point to deliver their own web originals based on successful content creators.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
B&N really needs to work on beefing up their non-book content to take a run at the Fire. I personally like the Nook Tab hardware a little more than the Fire except there's not much you can do with it when compared to the Fire. Since B&N's decided to lock it down so much they need to actually become the source for the stuff they're locking out (I'm still pissed about them taking away the sideloading of apps 'cause their crappy little app store doesn't cut it price or selection wise).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
...aaand a refurb KF priced at $179.00. I suspect they may go lower.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I believe both should just give in and let us install sd cards.
This. The Kobo Vox has one (I have a 16GB card in mine, my girlfriend has a 32GB card in her Vox), after all, and is a very similar device.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Double post one redacted

Last edited by Anabran; 02-20-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
HI I am really happy with my KF but our 7 inch KF weighs as much as the current the 10 inch Ipad 2

I carried around a 13 inch macbook since 2008
and I just dont see much advantage in a 10 inch tablet from a portability perspective which is why I did not have any interest in the Ipad
A 10 inch Kindle fire would just be a little too big and heavy IMHO unless they are going to use different/lighter materials.

I am a professional 3D animator.
For me my tablet is a pure portable consumption device:
Light internet, reading of religious Texts, Sci-fi novels & Comic books and occasional video. something easily pulled from a large jacket pocket
while waiting in some tedious Line at a bank or something

any actual Creative production, requiring screen space for tool pallets, is done on my "real" computers at home.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
The NT 2 is pretty much a duplicate of features supposedly and is going to be $199 from what I'm gathering in my travels on the net. 8GB the only change.
NT has these features and the Fire doesn't:
  • RAM: 1GB vs 512MB
  • mSD card slot vs none
  • microphone vs none
  • physical volume buttons vs none