Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #31
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
I answered this question in the other thread you asked it in. While I'm also new to this forum myself, it's usually concerned bad forum etiquette to post the same question in different threads within a minute of each other.
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #32
rayg47
rayg47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
abishur, my bad. I thought I was posting in two separate areas. Didn't realize it was two threads in the same section. I read the README, but I guess I'm wondering is there a file from that zip that I have to install on the kindle or do I just put the PNG files on? If I just have to put the PNG files on the kindle, where do I put them?
rayg47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #33
kindle19
kindle19 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I tried installing the ss on my kindle, but whenever I shut the device off the screen stays as the last paged viewed not a screen saver. Any idea where I'm going wrong?
kindle19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #34
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

I had that issue too (tough for me it happened after I messed around with the messages.mo file)

For me it was a three part solution.

First make sure you're using the correct naming scheme. I had to use the exact naming scheme as mentioned in the readme or it just plain failed

Restart it and if that doesn't work:

Second I had to go into

/var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/

And edit the prefs file to have these two lines

low_level_screens.dir=/opt/amazon/low_level_screens/600x800
screensaver.enable.userdefined=true

to be fair you could point low_level_screens.dir straight to /mnt/us/screensaver but I had a link going from the 600x800 director to me screensaver directory so it worked just fine.

Restart again and if it's still not working, I finally had to uninstall the screensaver mod using the uninstall.bin file restart and re-install it using the install.bin.

After I did this last thing, I rechecked the previous two changes I mentioned, gave it one last restart for good measure and everything was working again!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #35
abishur
Enthusiast

Oh, one other issue I found that can create the error you're having is if you have the folder /var/local/aduints

I think this folder only exists if you have ads (special offers) though (in which case we should discuss this on this thread over here )
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #36
Asherpotter
Asherpotter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Does this mean we'll see a hack for 3G web browsing at some point?
Asherpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #37
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherpotter View Post
Does this mean we'll see a hack for 3G web browsing at some point?
Well... it all depends on exactly how you define "3G web browsing"...

We may well see hacks for BETTER web browing ON the kindles, but exporting the 3G internet connection over USB or wifi is called TETHERING, which is forbidden by amazon (for good reason). Besides violating your Terms Of Service contract with amazon (which you agreed to when you registered your kindle), it costs amazon real money paid to the cellphone companies (estimated at 12 cents/megabyte for Sprint CDMA service, and probably similar with the GSM cellphone carriers). Tethering generally uses a LOT more traffic than a kindle would use. Amazon can either charge you 15 cents/megabyte (which you agreed to), or they could just terminate free 3G for everybody.

Not only that, but mobileread site moderators have already stated in other "Theft of 3G Service" threads that this is illegal and they will not allow that information to be provided on this site.

Now, what gets interesting is if you run a VNC server on the kindle, and then use your laptop computer to remote-control and monitor your kindle while the kindle surfs the web. The VNC client computer need not limit itself to how the kindle renders the web page either, but could instead uses snort to capture all the internet packets and forward them to the VNC client computer, which could then render its own version of the passively collected web traffic. This method would be technically legal, and virtually impossible to be detected by amazon by simple web traffic analysis. It would not impose extra load on their services, but could deliver a much more satisfying web browsing experience. Although, on second thought, a more satisfying web browsing experience might itself increase web traffic, so it would be wise to exercise self-restraint in such a situation.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-27-2011 at 09:18 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #38
Asherpotter
Asherpotter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Well... it all depends on exactly how you define "3G web browsing"...

We may well see hacks for BETTER web browing ON the kindles, but exporting the 3G internet connection over USB or wifi is called TETHERING, which is forbidden by amazon (for good reason). Besides violating your Terms Of Service contract with amazon (which you agreed to when you registered your kindle), it costs amazon real money paid to the cellphone companies (estimated at 12 cents/megabyte for Sprint CDMA service, and probably similar with the GSM cellphone carriers). Tethering generally uses a LOT more traffic than a kindle would use. Amazon can either charge you 15 cents/megabyte (which you agreed to), or they could just terminate free 3G for everybody.

Not only that, but mobileread site moderators have already stated in other "Theft of 3G Service" threads that this is illegal and they will not allow that information to be provided on this site.

Now, what gets interesting is if you run a VNC server on the kindle, and then use your laptop computer to remote-control and monitor your kindle while the kindle surfs the web. The VNC client computer need not limit itself to how the kindle renders the web page either, but could instead uses snort to capture all the internet packets and forward them to the VNC client computer, which could then render its own version of the passively collected web traffic. This method would be technically legal, and virtually impossible to be detected by amazon by simple web traffic analysis. It would not impose extra load on their services, but could deliver a much more satisfying web browsing experience. Although, on second thought, a more satisfying web browsing experience might itself increase web traffic, so it would be wise to exercise self-restraint in such a situation.
I wasn't talking about tethering; I was talking about bypassing the "Wikipedia only" restriction on 3G web browsing.
Asherpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #39
6od9
6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch
Help me how to install and configure usbNetwork on Kindle Touch?
6od9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #40
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherpotter View Post
I wasn't talking about tethering; I was talking about bypassing the "Wikipedia only" restriction on 3G web browsing.
That is also a violation of amazon terms of service for that device. It can be done due to a security hole in the limited 3G kindles as stated by yifanlu, but amazon has been notified and this will hopefully be fixed soon.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #41
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I think I just found an alternative way of jailbreaking the device. I actually stumbled upon this while looking for a way to de-brick a KT which is not showing any UI, but is at least capable of booting up to the point of announcing itself as a USB device.

So here's how it goes:
- /etc/upstart/filesystems.conf contains a line to extract, and then delete, /mnt/us/data.tar.gz if present
- this file can be made to contain absolute path locations. ("tar cvfzP").
- This alone only allows us to write to whatever is already mounted read-write. But that includes, for example, "/var/local/system/locale".
- The locale file in turn is sourced from pretty much everywhere ("source /var/local/system/locale"), and can contain shell code.

I'm attaching a proof-of-concept exploit. *RENAME* RUNME.sh.txt to RUNME.sh, then just copy both files to /mnt/us (or even just into the root folder via USB drive). Then reboot. The result should be:
- Three new files in /mnt/us/, namely RUNME.{done,out,err}. For reasons completely obscure to me, sometimes the .out file stays empty, even though it shouldn't. May just be a FS syncing problem though. In any case, the actual execution DID take place in all cases (for me).
- For the proof-of-concept, a copy of /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/default.properties has been made as "jb.properties".

As said, this may not only be useful for jailbreaking, but also for de-bricking devices which don't properly get the UI running anymore. As long as USB drive access works, this method should also work. For a bricked device, the reboot is achieved by long-pressing (30 secs?) the power button.

Let me know if this is reproducible.

UPDATE: For newbies: This is NOT a jailbreak! DO NOT USE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHY AND HOW TO USE IT CORRECTLY!
Attached Files
File Type: gz data.tar.gz (207 Bytes, 5619 views)
File Type: txt RUNME.sh.txt (207 Bytes, 3020 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 10-23-2012 at 05:37 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #42
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I thought tar files can't contain absolute paths. How did you build it? Also, all of mmcblk0p1 is mounted read only so how are you writing the files?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #43
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I thought tar files can't contain absolute paths. How did you build it?
tar czvfP.

man tar:
Code:
    -P, --absolute-names
           don't strip leading `/'s from file names
Old 12-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #44
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I thought tar files can't contain absolute paths. How did you build it? Also, all of mmcblk0p1 is mounted read only so how are you writing the files?
Forgot the second part of the question. I'm not writing them directly. However for example /var/local/system/locale *is* writable, and is evaluated in almost every upstart script by source'ing it.

so, that file contains another indirection to another shell file (/mnt/us/RUNME.sh), which can finally mntroot rw and do its things.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #45
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Ah, I saw the data.tgz early on and I though "it would be great if we have a way to use absolute path. I could read the man file. Ah, whatever". If amazon doesn't patch this. This means I can make use of some of the stack overflow bugs I've found. Nice job! (you could have waited until amazon patched my jailbreak and go screw you amazon, we're back in)
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote