Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #31
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I was looking at the author in the content of the book, and it didn't change. That tag is still there.
But did you look in the converted book or the source? The source isn't touched. Since your "text" to be changed is in the head tag, it won't appear in most other ebook formats, since they don't have head tags.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #32
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I suppose it's possible that calibre is ignoring the content of the head tag (i.e., doesn't consider it to be part of the book "text" subject to change during the S&R of the conversion process.) If that's what's happening, then do as I suggested above. Fix the author in calibre first. Subsequent conversions as well as Save to Disk or Send to Device will then use the correct author.
Why would it ignore the contents of the head tag?

I fixed the author in calibre. It is showing the correct author in its main window under the author(s) column. I saved it to disk, where it created two additional folders and saved all the formats - epub, htmlz which I can't open, an opf file and a zip file. I saved it to my SD card (I didn't want to connect calibre to my reader to avoid another shock), let me try the card now and see what my reader shows. The html file inside the zip isn't changed; the head tag still has the incorrect author.

OK, when I open the folder in CoolReader, I see two files - the epub and the zip file. I will have to find a way to keep the subfolders to a minimum on Pocketbook; I should have selected Save to disk in a single directory. The files aren't numbered correctly, but I haven't figured out that part yet so I'm not surprised.

CoolReader shows filenames on two lines: the first one is book title, the secnd one is the file name. I've got Title by Author -Author.epub and the same thing for zip. Book name for the epub is Title by Author, and for the zip it's o1 Title.htm. I would like them to be saved as Author - # - Title.

When I open te epub, I see the cover created by calibre (btw, can I have a different cover for each fandom? what photo dimensions would I have to have in order to make my own covers? I know my way in graphic editing programs.) I still get Title by Author (the correct one), but the second line has Grzegorz again. Where is my mistake?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #33
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But did you look in the converted book or the source? The source isn't touched. Since your "text" to be changed is in the head tag, it won't appear in most other ebook formats, since they don't have head tags.
Yes es, I understand, that was my first mistake - I kept looking at the source and kept wondering why I didn't see any changes. But after that I made sure to go to the resulting folder and check the zipped file like you told me to, and the html wrapped inside that zip still had the original line. According to everything you've explained to me, that should have been changed, right? I don't think I'm really that much of an idiot not to be able to follow your instructions! (God, I hope not)
Old 10-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #34
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
It's one option. There are several dedicated ebook filename renamers out there.
I found a couple of free ones; I have to figure out how to get them to change 01 Title.htm to Author - 01 - Title.htm: I have no idea how to mark a number that increases in every subsequent file and a space that follows it. And I have no idea how I'm going to handle the more complicated titles.

Quote:
Preferences Import/Export Adding Books - it's a clickbox option to get the metadata from filename or metadata in the file.
Found and changed, thank you.

Quote:
You control that in your Save to Disk options.
Oh God, I remember this; I spent ages looking for a saving template that would work for me the first time I tried using calibre and someone was kind enough to write it for me; it might even have been you. I will probably have to go looking for those posts again. The template that's saved there now won't work for me.

Quote:
It's partly just crossposting. Get up to speed on my last posts, then ask if it's not clear.
Are we fine now? Have I covered every point?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #35
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Calibre's viewer can read it. Tell calibre to open it. It's just a zip file with all html files from the original source put into a single html.
I just tried - I selected the book, clikced View > View specific format, chose HTMLZ and still got the message that Windows can't open the format. Should I choose ebook-viewer.exe from the list of programs I find in calibre or just go with calibre.exe?

ebook-viewer.exe worked just fine.

Last edited by citac; 10-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #36
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I fixed the author in calibre. It is showing the correct author in its main window under the author(s) column. I saved it to disk, where it created two additional folders and saved all the formats - epub, htmlz which I can't open, an opf file and a zip file. I saved it to my SD card (I didn't want to connect calibre to my reader to avoid another shock), let me try the card now and see what my reader shows. The html file inside the zip isn't changed; the head tag still has the incorrect author.
Perhaps I am wrong but the only way the zip file html will change is if you convert to zip and not too sure if that will work.

I understand that the EZ REader supports mobi files very well.
Calibre does a pretty good job with mobi (My mother has a kindle)

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #37
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Perhaps I am wrong but the only way the zip file html will change is if you convert to zip and not too sure if that will work.

I understand that the EZ REader supports mobi files very well.
Calibre does a pretty good job with mobi (My mother has a kindle)

Helen
My sister uses the EZ Reader, I haven't touched it in moths. My main reader these days is Pocketbook IQ, which is an Android reader, and my preferred reading app is CoolReader. It can read many different file formats, but I'd like it to also display some additional information on the files I'm reading, plus I'd simply like to (um, normalize?? I can't think of an English word for it) my collection.

CoolReader shows filenames on two lines: the first one is book title, the secnd one is the file name. I've got Title by Author -Author.epub and the same thing for zip. Book name for the epub is Title by Author, and for the zip it's 01 Title.htm.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #38
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
According to everything you've explained to me, that should have been changed, right?
Not everything I'm not sure how calibre will handle the head tags of an html file when doing the search and replace. I'm interested to find out. The head tags aren't really part of the visible content of the ebook, so it doesn't correspond to the visible content in other ebook formats. Initially, I didn't fully realize that was the part you wanted to change. It won't surprise me if calibre does something special to the head tag, such as ignore it, or rewrite the metadata there.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #39
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Are we fine now? Have I covered every point?
Only the final answer is missing - did S&R when converting from ZIP (or HTML) to HTMLZ change the author line in the head tag? I'm confident it would change it in the visible body of the book, but I don't know what happens in the head tag. That's why early on, I commented that one option was to bulk edit the source files with UltraEdit (before import), which would have treated the head tag like the rest of the book content. After that, you could have imported and the correct author would have been picked up by calibre.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #40
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I just tried - I selected the book, clikced View > View specific format, chose HTMLZ and still got the message that Windows can't open the format. Should I choose ebook-viewer.exe from the list of programs I find in calibre or just go with calibre.exe?
I was suggesting you go into Preferences and tell calibre to open HTMLZ with its internal viewer. (Under Behavior - Use Internal Viewer for) Right now it is set to send it to Windows, which is what you are seeing with View > View specific format. Windows didn't know what to do with it. If you choose ebook-viewer.exe from the list of programs that Windows presents to you, then you'll be able to open those files outside of calibre, too. Set that way calibre will send it to Windows, then Windows will send to calibre's ebook viewer. If you change preferences, calibre will just hand it to the viewer without sending it to Windows. It's your choice. Don't choose calibre.exe from the Windows list.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #41
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Not everything I'm not sure how calibre will handle the head tags of an html file when doing the search and replace. I'm interested to find out. The head tags aren't really part of the visible content of the ebook, so it doesn't correspond to the visible content in other ebook formats. Initially, I didn't fully realize that was the part you wanted to change. It won't surprise me if calibre does something special to the head tag, such as ignore it, or rewrite the metadata there.
It seems that it simply skips the head tags (I clicked "Open containing folder" to be sure I was looking in the proper location), which is why CoolReader shows me a cover with "Title by Correct author", followed by second line that still shows "Programer's Name" (I can upload a photo if you like). So it obviously reads the information in the head tag, but doesn't replace it when I do a search & replace.

I think I will probably just have to use another program to open the files and do a multiple search and replace (I just discovered that Notepad++ can do this too, I just have to be careful not to feed it too many files), and I've been using Bulk Rename Utility to prefix the author folder names to the files. My next step is to figure out how to move articles fro the end of the file to their proper location (i.e. Author - Story Title, The.html to Author - The Story Title.html).

Hopefully once I have clean files I can convert them to epubs.

(And add different covers according to fandom, but that doesn't belong here.)

Last edited by citac; 10-07-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #42
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Only the final answer is missing - did S&R when converting from ZIP (or HTML) to HTMLZ change the author line in the head tag? I'm confident it would change it in the visible body of the book, but I don't know what happens in the head tag. That's why early on, I commented that one option was to bulk edit the source files with UltraEdit (before import), which would have treated the head tag like the rest of the book content. After that, you could have imported and the correct author would have been picked up by calibre.
I think for the time being I'm going to copy some files over to a separate folder and test everything out. I will set it to read metadata from the file name for the time being, before I replace the offending line in the head tag. I'm looking through some of my old questions to see what's the best naming scheme for import and save to disk to minimize the number of folders and to make sure files are sorted by author and series. Looking at all those regexes makes my head hurt, but i don't want to give up yet.

And then I can deal with the Various authors folder where I keep only one story from all the works of that particular author.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #43
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
I was suggesting you go into Preferences and tell calibre to open HTMLZ with its internal viewer. (snip)
Done, and it works, thank you.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #44
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Done, and it works, thank you.
And thank you for confirming that the S&R on an HTML file does not search the head tag.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #45
citac
Fanatic

Unfortunately it doesn't, and I was hoping to have one program do all the work. Found out that's not quite how it works. I am now more aware of what can and can't be done, and I realize that I'll have to change my expectations and work around the program instead of trying to force it to accommodate everything I throw at it.

I still very much doubt that I'll ever get used to it completely, let alone love it. I still have issues with the duplication, and saving to separate folders, but I realize they are my issues and not everyone feels the same. I still reserve the right to complain and ask questions about things I don't understand, but I hope the complaints and questions will not be taken as malicious, as they were never meant to be that.

And finally, as I promised, I'd like to apologize to all who were annoyed at my flailing about and whining, and thank all those who had the patience to listen, try to work out my convoluted explanations, and help me achieve what I was after. Thank you all.

For the curious, here's what I found might work well with the setup I have, in case someone else finds it useful:

- for Save to disk

{author_sort} - {series} - {series_index} - {title}

- for Adding books (when reading metadata from file name)

(?P<author>[^_-]+) -?\s*(?P<series>[^_0-9-]*)(?P<series_index>[0-9]*)\s*-\s*(?P<title>[^_].+) ?