Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
aphroat
aphroat began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Registering a Google account?

I successfully loaded various Google apps (sadly not the Android Market...), now I'm trying to register my account via the Gmail app on my PE. Gmail asks for my username and password, then tells me it has to talk to the Google servers. After about 90 seconds the registration throws this error:

Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues call Customer Care.

Now, PE is obviously not a phone. WiFi is working fine on the PE so I'm not getting why Gmail can't phone home, as it were.

Halp?

Note: I did have telephony.apk and phone.apk disabled per other threads on power savings; I have re-enabled those, rebooted PE, same problem.
aphroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
aphroat

*bump*
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Surveyah
Surveyah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Gmail app

What gmail app are you using and where did u get it? I tried installing one and it keeps crashing....
Surveyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
To install GAPPS consult kennyminot's sticky thread. That will point you in the right direction. You need arooted phone/android device.(I used a rooted Nook Color) I don't believe the phone apk's have any influence on the process. Mine were gone by the time I did the workaround and it worked fine.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
laymans
laymans began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage eDGe
Same issue after upgrading to beta 2.2.1

I upgraded the OS from 1.6 to the beta 2.2.1 and have the same issue when going to the OS app "Accounts". I can log into gmail via the default mail app but cannot connect the gmail account through accounts. I can set up a Linked In and Facebook account. Must have something to do with the Google side. Perhaps they are checking to see if the devices is an "authorized" device before allowing the account to hook up?

Sheridan
laymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
aphroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyah View Post
What gmail app are you using and where did u get it? I tried installing one and it keeps crashing....
I grabbed the gapps zip from one of the stickythreads in this forum. It'll run for me, but the app won't authenticate to Google due to an unwillingness to use WiFi, it seems.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
aphroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunodosoma View Post
To install GAPPS consult kennyminot's sticky thread. That will point you in the right direction. You need arooted phone/android device.(I used a rooted Nook Color) I don't believe the phone apk's have any influence on the process. Mine were gone by the time I did the workaround and it worked fine.
I have rooted my PE, I don't have any other Android devices available. If that's a prereq then I'm screwed. So many things I want that Amazon doesn't have and that the other "markets" don't actually have but merely redirect me to the Google Android Market.

*sigh*
Old 09-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
aphroat - I also had no luck, but someone here suggested I use an emulator. I found a website with detailed instructions here if you want to have a look:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21862...roid-emulator/

I've decided it's too complicated for me, but it might give you some additional ideas.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Also, if there's a specific app you want you can try starting a new thread to ask for it. You'd be surprised how often someone is able to provide what someone else is looking for!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Alternate sources for apps include freewarelovers, Slideme, Amazon app store and others. Evidently there are some apps people say are exclusive to market, I don't know. A good resource for app sources is obessed2's sticky thread at the top of the forum. Try there.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gmail fail