Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
eBooks on MobileRead

Is anyone actually downloading the MobiPocket (PRC) format ebooks being posted on MobileRead? if you are, what do you think of them? Do you like having them here? Do you not? Is there something dfferent we can do to make this more enjoyable for you? Just tell us what you think so we can do our best for you.

Jon
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Well, me. I've downloaded all the PRCs, save Dracula, E.E. Smith and one of Orwell's.
Also messed w/the testfiles download, with these results:
eReader: PalmReader Pro and PalmReader (no difference);
MobiPocket Reader: definite difference, the ebook version being much better than the simple PRC.
Also posted a wishlist on the 24th:
Of Time and the River and You Can't Go Home Again (Thomas Wolfe)
Mrs. Dalloway and The Waves (virginia Woolf)
War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
Swann's Way and Within a Budding Grove (Marcel Proust)
Don Quixote Pt.1 (Cervantes)

When do you folks find time to read?
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks for the comments CharlieBird.

Sleep? What's that? We spend half the night converting books, half the night reading books we converted, and the other half reading books others converted.

We are still testing the waters and exploring what settings in BookDesigner provide the best reading experience. We have been producing LRF format books for the Sony Reader and have therefore invested substantial time and effort in crafting the books for that format. We want to extend this to all that use the PRC/MOBI format.

One of the areas we know to be a problem is the Table of Contents (or TOC.) The BD program has a default setting to create a TOC for the Sony Reader from marked chapter headings. However, this does not currently carry over to the PRC/MOBI generated books. Some creators, like Harry, have always created their own TOCs where the main TOC takes you to a secondary TOC. This is easily seen in his omnibus editions where the main TOC lists the books in each volume and the secondary TOC lists the chapters in the specific book. I have mainly used the default TOC in BD and this has worked very well for me (so far.)

I have just recently contacted the creator of the BD program (vvv) and asked about the possibility of extending the automatic TOC generation feature to PRC/MOBI output.

I have a version of Don Quixote Pt.1 and it is over 50 chapters. I will post it for you but be warned, there is no TOC.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Even though I dont download your books, your efforts are laudable. The reason I dont download them is because my reading preferences are quite limited and sometimes hard to find. I also find it very easy to covert a txt or html file into a PDF (format which I use predominantly), and I dont care for ToC's, as I read books from cover to cover (so to speak).

I will nontheless give them a try, maybe I can see the benefits of PRC/Mobi this time. I also find that the necessity of using a proprietary software quite annoying. The PDF printer in OpenOffice works wonderful, much better than some paid-for equivalents.

What I would like too see (even though this is not the requests section), if possible, is some classic scientific books.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel View Post
... What I would like too see (even though this is not the requests section), if possible, is some classic scientific books.
I will therefore post for you in PRC/MOBI (again without TOC) a copy of the Harvard Classics Volume 30 - Scientific Papers. These are over 100 years old and include works by Michael Faraday, Hermann von Helmholtz, Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin), Simon Newcomb, and Sir Archibald Geikie.

Volume 38 might also be of interest as it includes works from Pasteur, Lister, Jenner, and Harvery among others.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I will therefore post for you in PRC/MOBI (again without TOC) a copy of the Harvard Classics Volume 30 - Scientific Papers. These are over 100 years old and include works by Michael Faraday, Hermann von Helmholtz, Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin), Simon Newcomb, and Sir Archibald Geikie.

Volume 38 might also be of interest as it includes works from Pasteur, Lister, Jenner, and Harvery among others.

Excellent! I really appreciate all the effort you put into satisfying all our whims

Nothing beats the classics!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote