Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #91
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What is a serious reader? I see this phrase thrown around too much. Die-hard physical book lovers consider themselves serious readers and turn their nose up at electronic books. Owners of NOOKS, NOOKcolors and other eReaders are viewed as non-serious readers. Enough already.
Still waiting for an answer from those who use this phrase.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #92
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Whoa. So they can't call a device a "toy" while on payroll for B&N, but they should instead recommend voiding the warranty, and imply that B&N will support rooted devices?
Neither should have been said by a B&N employee describing the device to a customer. If B&N doesn't publicly support rooting, no employee should be advocating it to a customer.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #93
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Most people who read magazines on an e-reader are probably accustomed to the Kindle treatment: black and white and mostly text.

BN might do well to spend some time building appreciation for just how much of a paradigm shift the NC approach actually is.
Exactly. The NC has raised the bar on available content, above every B/W device's level, and beyond most that can only display basic text. Not to mention that the NC can still read ebooks. A B&N employee ought to be selling that.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #94
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
With regard to a rooted device voiding a warranty, yes the warranty won't be honored if the device is returned rooted. Simply do a factory reset before returning it. There's no way to determine if it's been rooted prior.

Last edited by SCION; 12-13-2010 at 12:46 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #95
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
The NC has raised the bar on available content, above every B/W device's leve
Above, as in better? I don't agree with that.

It's just different, thats all. Another option.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #96
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Above, as in better? I don't agree with that.
It can do color content the BW reader cannot. That makes it better.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #97
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It can do color content the BW reader cannot. That makes it better.

With less bettery life. That doesn't make it better. Just different.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #98
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by traponk View Post
The employee gave the appropriate answer for which device is best for someone who reads alot, since the e-ink screen is a lot nicer to look at.
Ummmm, no. Your opinion is NOT fact. I read for hours a day and am much happier reading my NookCOLOR than I was reading on my Nook Classic or my Kindle 3.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #99
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
and a more comfortable screen.
Again, opinion only here.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #100
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With less bettery life. That doesn't make it better. Just different.
That's quibbling... but I'll give it a pass. Point is, a salesman should be describing a product's strengths, not knocking it. Color and access to magazines is a strength, something the Nook and other readers don't have.

(But I still think it's better. )
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #101
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Exactly. The NC has raised the bar on available content, above every B/W device's level, and beyond most that can only display basic text. Not to mention that the NC can still read ebooks. A B&N employee ought to be selling that.
Very well said.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #102
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Ummmm, no. Your opinion is NOT fact. I read for hours a day and am much happier reading my NookCOLOR than I was reading on my Nook Classic or my Kindle 3.
Are you "reading"......playboy.com or something similar?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #103
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Are you "reading"......playboy.com or something similar?

Nope, I'm reading in bed with the lights off and without a cave-diving flashlight strapped to my head.

Last edited by Grimm; 12-13-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #104
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Nope, I'm reading in bed with the lights off and without a cave-diving flashlight strapped to my head.

I do exactly the same thing with my Kindle.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #105
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I'm not sure how happy I am with that answer, because it still sounds highly biased. Based solely on your comments above, you don't consider magazine reading as worthwhile as books, you don't value the idea of digital versions of magazines as much as you do books, you think eInk is better for reading than LCD, and the NC is for everything but reading.

Confronted with a sales pitch like that, I'd conclude that it would make a lot of sense for me, a magazine reader with an appreciation for digital files and no preconceived notions about screen reading quality, to avoid your store.

I do value magazines, but you're not saving any money buying an e-magazine, which is the primary reason I find people buy an e-book reader. Do you know how many e-magazines you'd have to buy to save any money buying the nook Color? An insane amount.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes & noble, nook, nook color, toy