Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Changing Titles Of Books?

I just converted some books and I noticed that they came out okay with proper titles. Once I put them on the Kindle the titles came up differently. Is there anyway to change them on the Kindle?
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you want to change the real titles? *confused*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you mean that you changed the filenames, but that different titles showed up when you loaded the book onto the Kindle?

The title that the Kindle shows comes from the "metadata" inside the book. You can edit this with Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Jumping into this thread, I would certainly agree to changing filenames from Amazon's alphanumeric to something meaningful. Ah, so it is the metadata which determines how it displays once it gets to the kindle.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Jumping into this thread, I would certainly agree to changing filenames from Amazon's alphanumeric to something meaningful. Ah, so it is the metadata which determines how it displays once it gets to the kindle.
Ah, NOW I get it ....

I'll admit I was completely baffled why anyone would want to change book titles. I didn't realize he was talking about the alphanumeric file names. I always change those in Calibre.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
I just converted some books and I noticed that they came out okay with proper titles. Once I put them on the Kindle the titles came up differently. Is there anyway to change them on the Kindle?
By "converted some books", I'm assuming you meant you used Calibre to convert books from another format into mobi format. If that's the case, then go back into Calibre, and use the "Edit metadata" button to check the actual title information that's embedded into the files.

File names and the embedded titles can be very different.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I think I meant the embedded name, Im not sure which is which. I edited the Metadata but didnt double check in the Convert menu, Ill have to try it again. Thanks for the help everyone, Ill try it and see how it works out.

I also have some ebooks I downloaded from manybooks.net that arent recognized properly. What I mean is that I have some Lupin books. People may be familiar with him, his name is spelled Arsène Lupin. The Kindle apparently doesnt recognize that sign above the 'e', and gives it a new sign entirely. I dont exactly want to go into Calibre and convert it, I downloaded it as a free Mobi file. Nothing to convert it too and last time I tried to convert a file to the same format it messed everything up. Im guessing that Ill just have to download another format and fix the title by converting it or leave it alone. Theres no way to just edit the title in the Kindle is there? Maybe I can try editing the file name when I drag and drop it to the Kindle via USB. That might work.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please listen to what we're telling you. The filename of the book is totally irrelevant. What the Kindle displays is the metadata that's inside the book.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you mean that you changed the filenames, but that different titles showed up when you loaded the book onto the Kindle?

The title that the Kindle shows comes from the "metadata" inside the book. You can edit this with Calibre.
Then I assume Kindle also reads the author it displays from metadata? That would explain why I can't get it to display LN,FN despite whatever I do in calibre prefs-sendtodevice.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, the author also comes from the book's metadata.

If a book's author is LN, FN the Kindle will automatically display it as FN LN. There's nothing you can do about that.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If a book's author is LN, FN the Kindle will automatically display it as FN LN. There's nothing you can do about that.
Thx for quick response. The main problem is that Kindle sorts by the FN rather than the LN under choice of sort ByAuthor.

Hmm, there's gotta be a way to get to sort LN
Old 01-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
unboggling
Wizard

And HarryT, I loved your ERB Omnibuses
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #13
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:

On problem of Kindle display sorting author by FN. I found a way to get around it, but it's clunky. I'd been using LN, FN in authors in calibre. To sort by LN in a kindle display this is what I did.

1. Deleted the comma in calibre authors, leaving one space between LN and FN.

2. Coverted mobi to mobi to update the metadata.

3. Sent the mobi to the device.

So now under sort by author, Kindle displays a sort on the LN, but the author name LN FN without a comma may be a bit confusing.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Thx for quick response. The main problem is that Kindle sorts by the FN rather than the LN under choice of sort ByAuthor.

Hmm, there's gotta be a way to get to sort LN
Strange - I don't have that problem. My authors display "FN LN" but they sort correctly by LN. I have my author metadata set as "LN, FN".
Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #15
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Strange - I don't have that problem. My authors display "FN LN" but they sort correctly by LN. I have my author metadata set as "LN, FN".
So do mine sort correctly on my kindle now. I only switched to LN, FN scheme in authors field a couple days ago and was vaguely remembering the sort problem from earlier rather than seeing if I still had that problem after the switch. I wonder if switching to LN, FN fixed the sort problem the other day, or if my noob-ness made me originally diagnose a non-existing problem?

Oh well, now no problem.