Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
How many of these "top 100" non-fiction books have YOU read?

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100...st-nonfiction/

I'll have to count them up myself, but maybe 10...12...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've read at least 8 of them.

But I wouldn't rank all of them in those lists as "The Best". I mean, come on - Howard Stern? Sheesh.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
only 3. Most of my non-fiction didn't make it on there
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
The Board's List - maybe 6 or 7 and a couple more on my Kindle

The Reader's List is interesting. Dianetics? Send In The Waco Killers? Psychiatry: The Ultimate Betrayal?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
2.5 of the board's list, 3.5 of the readers' list.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
only 3. Most of my non-fiction didn't make it on there
Same here - and I read a lot of non-fiction; In Cold Blood was required reading in high school.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Four altogether between both lists. I was surprised too. I read a lot of non-fiction and none of what I would call 'my to choices' were on either list!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The board's list...1 (The Elements of Style).

The reader's list...5.

The reader's list seemed have a definite libertarian bent.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Some books were on both lists - I only read 9 that I remember. I am not sure if that is good or not considering the books that were listed.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
From the Board's List, I've read 8...and sadly, those are pretty much the only ones on the whole list I'm interested in reading.

* Up from Slavery by Booker T Washington (fascinating)
* A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (I loved it, even though I hate her fiction)
* The Double Helix by James Watson (dense)
* Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forester (it didn't help me become a better novelist)
* The Elements of Style by Strunk & White (it's more of a reference book than a work of non-fiction, IMO)
* The Autobiography of Malcolm X (loved it)
* In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Loved it)
* Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott (hated it)

On my TBR list:

Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman
The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

I didn't go through the "Readers" List -- can't stand Ayn Rand, didn't even bother reading the list after I saw her at the top.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 10-09-2010 at 01:19 AM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Four from the board's list. I'm surprised it was that high. I was also surprised that "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" didn't make the top 100. I ignored the reader's list when I saw Ayn Rand at the top.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
The Reader's List is interesting. Dianetics? Send In The Waco Killers? Psychiatry: The Ultimate Betrayal?
I know....talk about a popularity contest or a stuffing of the ballot box...

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
I am such a heathen - I think I've dipped into Art and Illustion by Gombrich, and that's only because it was a recommended book on a course I did.
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
From the Board's List, I've read 8...and sadly, those are pretty much the only ones on the whole list I'm interested in reading.

* Up from Slavery by Booker T Washington (fascinating)
* A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (I loved it, even though I hate her fiction)
* The Double Helix by James Watson (dense)
* Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forester (it didn't help me become a better novelist)
* The Elements of Style by Strunk & White (it's more of a reference book than a work of non-fiction, IMO)
* The Autobiography of Malcolm X (loved it)
* In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Loved it)
* Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott (hated it)

On my TBR list:

Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman
The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

I didn't go through the "Readers" List -- can't stand Ayn Rand, didn't even bother reading the list after I saw her at the top.
See bolding above...me too! That is, I loved it, a favourite, and also thoroughly enjoyed the television adaptation I saw of it too...can't rememeber the details of who starred in it, but it was great. I'm somewhat disappointed to hear you hate her fiction, only because I've been meaning for a long time to try it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Did you see the fiction list?

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

Rand and Hubbard hold seven of the top ten spots on the Reader's List.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote