Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wow this story almost makes me want to order a DX.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #17
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I'm so glad they replaced it for you!

My experience with Amazon's customer service regarding the Kindle has generally been really good, but I wasn't sure which way they would go on this one.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithd View Post
Well, I didn't expect it, but Amazon's got a customer for life. They agreed to replace it, no cost to me.

The reason the CSR gave was that it was the first time and it's still in the warranty period. The only two questions were how was it damaged (cracked), and was it dropped from higher than shoulder height (no). I would NOT suggest being careless with your kindle and counting on this! I was fully ready to take a big hit for my own stupidity, but Amazon decided that having a Customer for Life was better than outright charging me for the screen cost.

I'm still out my DX until the new one arrives, complicated by the fact that I'm stationed in Japan, so it's got to go to my Dad's house first. But given how it could have turned out, I'm OK with that!

I'm going to be much more careful. The Kindle gets its own dedicated resting place from now on!
I think that being honest on how the DX was damaged had a lot to do with Amazon's response in this case. I have read many times on this site on how some people's readers have been damaged spontaneously. I would bet that Amazon has heard the same numerous times.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #19
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
It's Here!!!

Just to follow up on this - I just got my replacement DX. If it's a refurb, I can't tell - looks new to me.

It took a while to get here because Amazon sent it to my father's house in Houston, then he had to send to me here in Japan. Wasn't too bad.

My only concern was they included a new USB/wall charger. I was told to remove all accessories, so I shipped my old DX bare. Now I have 2 chargers. No big deal, even if they charged me for the second charger I'd consider it OK.
Keithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I don't want to come off as flippant, but i honestly have to wonder why people make these posts....as if we care.

Talk to customer service....what is the point of posting on this forum?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I broke my Kindle 1 in a similar manner to Keithd, and they charged me $180 for a replacement, which I thought was pretty decent since it was completely my fault that it broke. Not as good a deal as Keithd, but then again my warranty expired.

I've been real happy with Amazon's customer service.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I don't want to come off as flippant, but i honestly have to wonder why people make these posts....as if we care.

I agree that it doesn't do much good support wise, but information-wise for both the poster and other interested parties, I think it's a good thing.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:

because we do care. we really really do care. it reassures us and helps us to counterbalance the snarky posters that inform us of having been banned from Amazon for life (which was most certainly a lie), and scads of others who have nothing but Amazon hate to relate
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

One very important thing to consider when buying an ebook device is the customer service you get from the seller.

Posting here, good or bad, will help someone decide if they want to do business with a company.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I don't want to come off as flippant,
Edit to say:

Your post wasn't nice, nor helpful. I was trying to be.

Last edited by Keithd; 11-20-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Keithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #26
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:

Well, I care so you are not speaking for me. Because if any of us are put in the same situation we would contact Customer Care as opposed to thinking it was my fault so they wont fix it.

Well done KeithD and thanku for posting - I haven't had great service from Customer Care but hoping I wont need them again anyway.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #27
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I drove Friday from Indiana to where I grew up in Upstate NY. I had no idea, but my mother had purchased a K2 back in July, which I discovered sitting on her kitchen counter Friday evening. She had just turned off the wireless for the first time on Thursday and now couldn't get it to turn back on. So I played with it and couldn't get it to turn on. I even checked with my DX to see if perhaps it was an issue with the Sprint network and the wireless coverage. I got a good two or three bars of 3G coverage on it. But I put it back down and got back to catching up with the family.

Last night I picked it up early in the evening and started playing with it again, giving it a full restart and everything I could think of, save setting it back to factory defaults. Still no response. I decided to give the Kindle Support team a shot to see if they could help. The gent I spoke to went through everything I had tried and then to restoring it to factory defaults. When that also did not work he stated that he would ship out a new Kindle and it should arrive the 24th and that he would call on the 24th to see that my mother had received it, as well as e-mailing her a shipping label to send the original K2 back. Just another great example of Amazon's excellent customer service!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #28
kennyc

Sorry it's broken, but sounds like more great service from Amazon.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #29
PBee
PBee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:

IMO you did come off as quite flippant. A simple solution for you, if you're not interested don't read it.
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #30
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:

Because some of us do care. Please don't speak for all of us.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote