Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Can this Kindle be saved?

My 90 yo mom has a K3, probably one of the first batches.

Lately it has taken to freezing. A hard reboot will reset it, but then after a few more page turns, it freezes again.

Mom lives in Arizona; I live in Michigan, so I can't hop over to get more information or see for myself what's happening.

I've suggested that she call Amazon customer support, but I fear that this means her k3 is dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas what may be the issue?

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 05-03-2013 at 11:00 AM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
As always when they start acting up, make sure to do a full charging. Many weird things start happening when the battery is going out...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could be a corrupt file that's causing problems. The only way to find that out really would be to do a Factory Reset, and then reload content.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Unless your Mum has a lot of books on it, I'd definitely try a factory reset (and then perhaps make sure it's got the latest firmware running on it) before anything else. I once had a problem with my Kindle 3 slowing up and freezing, I'd reboot it (press and hold button for 20-30 seconds) and it'd work fine for a while but then start to freeze again. I did a reset to factory defaults and it's worked fine ever since.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As others said, I'd try a factory reset. Also it's not in one of the original K3 non-lighted covers is it? Those are known to cause problems sometimes, even after all this time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no, it's in an M-edge case, so the case isn't the issue.

i wish AZ wasn't so far away, or that I wasn't so busy... I'd take a long weekend to fly out there and see what I could do for her. She doesn't use Calibre, and she does have a lot of books on it, set up into collections. Most of them are books I've sent her rather than ones she's purchased from Amazon, so a factory reset and then reloading the books will be a non-trivial exercise.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Pity, that makes it not so easy :-(

Could she connect it to a computer and drag and drop everything across from the documents folder on her Kindle? She's still lose all the collections though, and it's not so easy when there's a ton of different files for each book....

I keep trying to get my Mum to use Calibre for this exact reason, she just finds it easier to get the books direct from Amazon and so has forgotten everything I've told her about connecting it to her PC and using Calibre!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas what may be the issue?
Is she using it in the unlighted version of the official cover? The metal bracket sometimes causes shorts. I had trouble with it earlier this year I finally ended up changing to a different cover, one without the hinge thingies. Haven't had a problem since.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Becca has clearly stated that it's an M-Edge cover, not the Amazon one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
i wish AZ wasn't so far away, or that I wasn't so busy... I'd take a long weekend to fly out there and see what I could do for her.
Buying her a new Kindle would probably be cheaper than flying out there.

... and Mother's Day is next weekend.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I'd have to fly out there to set it up for her anyway, whether I get her a new one or give her my old k3.

I told her to let it discharge pretty much all the way (turn on wifi to help this process), turn off wifi and charge it over night and then do a hard reboot - we'll see whether that helps her.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I'd have to fly out there to set it up for her anyway, whether I get her a new one or give her my old k3.
You could have it shipped to your home so you can set it up for her then Fed-Ex it to her afterwards. Way cheaper than flying.

Or you could see if any MR members are in the area and willing to help. I'm in California or I would do it for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Last message I got from Mom, it's apparently behaving itself again, so we'll see.

if it mis-behaves again, I probably will have her mail it to me so I can look at it - if nothing else, I can make an image of it, and transfer the books and collections to my k3 and let her have that one.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Maybe it's gremlins?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I'm a firm Manichaen in some respects; things of the material world are of the devil, and you never know what they'll do, and always at the most inopportune moment!