Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Barb-B
Tech appreciator
Barb-B began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro (wow I love this reader!)
character encoding conversion without other changes?

I use Sigil for most changes I want to make to any of my files. But occasionally I still resort to Calibre conversion when I get something with a non-UTF character encoding. Usually when this happens, I'm not changing the file type, just going from one epub to another epub.

Ideally I'd like the file to look the same afterward, with all the font sizes the same and page layouts etc... Mostly they are, but some of the margins get changed, and some of the font sizes. Can someone suggest how I should have the settings configured to get as close as possible to the appearance of the original file?

Thanks!
Barb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You can use the Modify ePub plugin, with the latest feature I put in of 'encode HTML in UTF8'. This will handle the 99% of cases.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Barb-B
Tech appreciator

I am thoroughly wowed - that is a thing of rare awesomeness! And I have voted with my wallet.

Is it written in Python? I'm thinking about taking a python programming course so I can learn how to do some of these myself.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks for the vote, much appreciated

Yes all plugins for calibre are python, just open up the zip file to look at the code.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Barb-B
Tech appreciator

After a few days of using, one final thought... It would be really cool to have this as a standalone app, in addition to the plugin version. That way I wouldn't have to import to Calibre for the sole purpose of doing the conversion. Already using mobi-unpack and certain other to-remain-nameless tools that way.

Maybe if you don't feel like adding that, I'll work on doing it myself after I learn enough python to be dangerous.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb-B View Post
I'm thinking about taking a python programming course so I can learn how to do some of these myself.
I can certainly recommend learning Python. If you already have a background in programming then within a short space of time you should be able to pick up enough to start writing your own calibre plugins and stand-alone programs. You can inspect existing calibre plugins to see how they work and ask questions in the development section of the calibre forum when you have queries on functions, usage etc. within calibre.

The resources I found most useful for getting started were:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/creating_plugins.html : this is a really good guide to calibre user interface plugins with a simple example that you can use as a starting point for your own UI plugins.

For learning Python:

http://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/index.html
http://www.diveintopython.net/

For reference:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/plugins.html#plugins
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
Barb-B
Tech appreciator

Agama, wow, thank you SO much for the suggestions. I will squirrel them away somewhere for when I'm ready to dig in further.

I don't have much background in programming, just self-taught with vba, and a bit of SQL, and such, and recently with Sigil, have been picking up the HTML/CSS stuff. But I do tend to be pretty adventurous, and have registered for a course in the fundamentals of programming that's based on python. So I have great hopes that it will give the grounding I need to get somewhere with contributing to the plugin bonanza.

Again, thanks - it's nice to get the encouragement!