Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Nintendo DSi-XL- software update and the EZFlash Vi

I have two DSi-XL's and both are used with the EZFlash Vi card. With this card, Software and a Micro SDHC I can run most of the various Games as well as the Homebrew software such as ikuReader and dslibris reader, video and mp3's.

My wife and I desided to replace her aunts DS-Lite with the new and larger screen DSi-XL.

I bought it and while setting it up I did the "software update" via wifi.
On installing a new EZFlash Vi along with the appropriate software the unit would not boot into the card. I swapped out the flash card with my known working flash setup and it still did the same thing (Produced an error on selecting the flash card). Something in the update from Nintendo must have negated the Flash card. The unit worked fine with an Nintendo game cartridge.

I returned the device to the store and purchased another unit at a different store. This time I didn't do the software update and now the device works with all the flash cards and software that I have.

www.EZFlash.cn has come out with an FW update for their card but in the mean time I would suggest that you do not apply any Nintendo Updates via it's "Wifi software Update" option until you have had a chance to investigate this more and be careful with the Flash Card FW update as not all are compatible with the DSi-XL. Some are meant for the DSi-3D device.

I am still very impressed with my DSi-XL

John

Last edited by jlg432; 09-12-2011 at 06:59 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
well you could have informed yourself
dsibrew.org warns that the last FW Updates may affect usability of flashcards
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Well my older units are at FW 1.4.1 and so was the one purchased 2 weeks ago. I didn't notice what the FW level changed to when I did the update on the new purchased unit but I assume it was 1.4.3 as my EZ-Flash Vi card was blocked. I guess it will be only a matter of time before that version gets defeated.

The only lost by not doing the Nintendo's software update is "DSi Shop" which I don't use any ways as most everything is available on the Internet - so no big loss.

John
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
jlg432
Addict

Ana

Just thought I would post that the two DSi-XL's are still going strong and the firmware for the EZ-Flash Vi has been updated to the latest level and works with the newer DSi-XL firmware.

As an e-reading - entertainment device they are still performing very well.

I use a 16 gig class 10 micro sdhc card with my EZF-Vi card. This does improve boot time and file/app access.

Nintendo has discontinued these units but they can still be had for approx $100 Canadian. They sport two cameras (OK for kids) and with the various flash cards available they support music, movie (video), the DS games, epub/txt reader, two 3.5 screens (one is a touch screen), homebrew apps expand it's functionality and the battery last approx 10 hrs. Depending on the game you can play against other users via the Internet or connect to other players within 20 feet.

JLG432

Last edited by jlg432; 11-12-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
llcooljj
llcooljj began at the beginning.

Device: none
how can i download the system update
llcooljj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
jlg432
Addict

When you say "system Update" are you referring to the DSi-XL or the EZ-Flash Vi card?

The DSi-XL firmware update is done through wifi and Nintendo's web site. It is actually an option under the "Settings" menu.

For the EZ-Flash Vi - just google it and you should find directions on getting the update and how to apply it. You do need a DS or DS-Lite to apply the update to the card.