Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Unbrick your Kindle 3 - Video

Here's a small video tutorial about unbricking K3, as I promised.
For now it's "quick&dirty", but I'm planning to make a better one.

So...please enjoy and ask questions if you have some

edit :

Sorry for little typos in vid... -_-

Last edited by seaniko7; 05-26-2011 at 06:36 PM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
How did you mount the root file system over usb in the start? Also, where'd you get the serial connector?

Great video
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
Good job!
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Xqtftqx I've used serial line, just to brick kindle for this tutorial.
You can order cable on FTDI web site ( they have stores in many countries ).
I bought mine at : http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/ftdichip

Thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Many people are going to wonder how you found the USB export password. Also I want to know how to build that plug thingy into the kindle.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Apokrif
Apokrif began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Xqtftqx I've used serial line, just to brick kindle for this tutorial.
You can order cable on FTDI web site ( they have stores in many countries ).
I bought mine at : http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/ftdichip
Thanks
Great tutorial!

I searched FTDI for kindle - got nothing.
I thought, any USB-to-TTL adapter will do (google for ca-42 cable)
Not clear who sells this piece:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99177
Apokrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
@yifanlu, it's not a secret. See my how to: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=577761#577761
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

@seaniko7, Cool tutorial!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
@yifanlu, it's not a secret. See my how to: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=577761#577761
Someone named "David West" emailed me this. It's to find your password using the serial number. I don't know if he minds me posting it, but he does, contact me and I'll remove it.

Quote:
I've been studying the recovery-util with objdump, hoping to find a backdoor way to enable full MMC0 usb export without having to go through the serial port. I didn't find such a way, but, I think I've got a working command line to generate a password from a serial number:

$ python -c 'import hashlib,sys;print "fiona%s" % hashlib.md5("%s\n" % sys.argv[1]).hexdigest()[7:11]' B00XXXXXXXXXXXXX
fiona828b

Can you confirm if this method works for you? (I don't yet have a k3w or serial adapter with which to try yet.)
I also believe that the following MAY be the root password on linux:

Code:
python -c 'import hashlib,sys;print "fiona%s" % hashlib.md5("%s\n" % sys.argv[1]).hexdigest()[7:10]' B00XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Again, I would like to get my hands on one of those serial plugs for the Kindle. Any details, OP?

Last edited by yifanlu; 05-27-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
This is very cool. Enjoyable video, too. I liked the style, music.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
Sir Alex
Groupie

@yifanlu, Yes, I have this serial gen, but I think it's bad idea to public it!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
@yifanlu, Yes, I have this serial gen, but I think it's bad idea to public it!
Why? I'll take it down if it's bad or something.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
seaniko7
wannabe developer

I've made serial plug by myself, using blkhawk instructions mentioned at :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99177
Old 05-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
seaniko7
wannabe developer

Update : I've managed to connect to serial line by using usb cable and loading "g_serial" module. I can post instructions here if someone is interested. : )

Last edited by seaniko7; 05-29-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Update : I've managed to connect to serial line by using usb cable and loading "g_serial" module. I can post instructions here if someone is interested. : )
I know you can do that in SSH, but did you manage to do it before boot?