Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
dharmamom
dharmamom began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch prs-650
Where can I buy books?

Hi,
I just got the reader touch for xmas. I know nothing about these things but have managed to buy and read one book. The sony reader store doesn't seem to have the best selection so where else can I easily buy/dowload books? p.s I am Canadian! Thanks!
dharmamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Dharmamom. You have a superb piece of hardware there, but Sony library software and the Sony store are far from good. You don't need them, though. Your best bet is to download the free Calibre library software and forget Sony -- buy from anywhere and use the library to store and catalogue your books -- even to convert them from one digital format to another -- and simply download to your terrific Sony device via a USB cable. Very easy, very effective. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Check out Kobobooks' selection
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
i usually price shop using inkmesh.com
I do tend to buy a lot of books from sony or kobo though lol and sometimes amazon (stripping the DRM which is legal here in canuckistan)
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like Kobo too. It's run by Chapters / Indigo so it should have a good Canadian selection. Also check out the sticky thread at the top of the Sony forum for other bookstore options.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Borders seems to have the best selection that I can find, they seem to claim that "Anything you want published in the last two years we can get if we don't have it." Sometimes they tell me "If it was published in the last two years if we don't haev it we will get it."
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
There's a comprehensive list in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. "Sony Book Sources", or some similar title.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Lately, I've been buying books from Smashwords.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Don't forget all the free books you can get from Google Books and Project Gutenberg. Or the fact that you can borrow books from libraries.

But, as suggested above, the best solution is to get Calibre and learn to use it - then you can buy books anywhere.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
EbookNerd007
EbookNerd007
EbookNerd007 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and Kindle
You can purchase ebooks from all across the net. But, don't get scammed as people are selling ebooks that are free else where. Here is a good site that is 100% free. Free Eboooks
EbookNerd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Hey, don't forget the Mobile Read library !!!

Some truly excellent versions, done by dedicated members here - Gutenberg can be a bit "lumpy" sometimes, I find. [ But not MR ......

Oh, and free .....

And also, don't forget you can use [some] UK libraries - there is a list on here .
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNerd007 View Post
You can purchase ebooks from all across the net. But, don't get scammed as people are selling ebooks that are free else where. Here is a good site that is 100% free. Free Eboooks

WHY??? are you bumping a two year old thread??

Read the date of the post before hitting the reply button. This one is from December 2010.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote