Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I know from personal experience that both US and European phone services are way, way overpriced. I prefer the way it is done in most Asian countries. You can buy the phone you want at an unsubsidized price and pay a minimum for service.
You can do that in Europe, too. It's exactly what I did.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 AM   #47
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Americans pay a lot less for music, e-books, and electronics. They don't pay the 19% or more sales tax. But they get robbed by the telephone companies.

Harry, I know you can get a phone without a contract in the US. But even then you expect to pay US 30-40 with moderate use. I have seen the advertised rates for pay-as-you-go. No way you can stay below USD 15.- a month, unless you hardly use it. I don't know exactly how much pay-as-you-go is in Europe, but the charges per minute and the charges for data are significantly higher than in Asia.

Last edited by HansTWN; 06-29-2009 at 02:48 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm in the UK, Hans, not the US. I'm on a "pay as you go" contract with Vodafone and pay only a few pounds a month for my moderate phone usage. I generally "top up" my phone with £20 of credit at a time, and that lasts me for several months.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #49
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Mobile phones are even worse in France. First the "prepaid", have a validity limit. (15 euros = 1 month). Getting an un-simlock phone is a mess. When i went in Denmark and had a look at the prepaid price /per minute i though "I am converting right there ??", and credit there had a one year validity.

We have decent stuff for Internet though. ADSL + Internet TV + phone is 30 Euros
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Mobile phone credit in the UK lasts forever. We had a court ruling here a few years ago saying that it was illegal for the phone companies to set an "expiry date" on credit, because it was "real money" that the customer had paid to the company, and they couldn't take it away.
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #51
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
cool, we need that one passed in France too !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #52
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Why pick on Amazon? It appears that the problem is with the telephone carriers.
Sounds to me like both are to blame. Neither side is saying "no", they just can't agree on the price. Is it one side's fault because they're asking too much, or the other side's fault because they won't pay it?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #53
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Could be just a bluff to gain position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Sounds to me like both are to blame. Neither side is saying "no", they just can't agree on the price. Is it one side's fault because they're asking too much, or the other side's fault because they won't pay it?
IF you are a Kindle Fan... I would not be too worried. I know from Astak's experience with the phone companies that dealing with them is very difficult and that what died last week springs back to life next week. They may just be juggling for position.

Also, there is no love affair between Europe and American firms. IF Kindle strolled in trying to look like God's Gift to Europe they would be rebuffed.

I think it is far too early to say that Kindle will not be sold there.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #54
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
IF you are a Kindle Fan... I would not be too worried. I know from Astak's experience with the phone companies that dealing with them is very difficult and that what died last week springs back to life next week. They may just be juggling for position.
That would be my guess as well, but you certainly know a lot more about it than I do.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #55
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm in the UK, Hans, not the US. I'm on a "pay as you go" contract with Vodafone and pay only a few pounds a month for my moderate phone usage. I generally "top up" my phone with £20 of credit at a time, and that lasts me for several months.
I stand corrected.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #56
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
i would think Amazon stood a better chance to get the Kindle into the Asian market, Japan first, in particuilar... much better phone system there.

if they simply released a "world version" with bluetooth for tethering, as well as wifi, they could get market penetration NOW. heck, there's probably a simple drop in card for them to do this. throw in a GPS and some maps for kicks, and people would go "gah"

as it stands now, telecomms are all uppity because they want us to think that a phone call is the most difficult thing in the world to manage, and omg, they cost $$$. yes, the infrastructure is expensive, and they (and the govts? and the people/taxes/fees) certainly pay for it... but once that network is up? oh yes, the data costs are ... pretty cheap. big $$$.

if Amazon wants to dominate, well, they'll find a way.

exReader
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #57
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exreader View Post
i

as it stands now, telecomms are all uppity because they want us to think that a phone call is the most difficult thing in the world to manage, and omg, they cost $$$. yes, the infrastructure is expensive, and they (and the govts? and the people/taxes/fees) certainly pay for it... but once that network is up? oh yes, the data costs are ... pretty cheap. big $$$.
You don't work at one, do you? Data costs? There're other levels supporting data, and the maintenance costs aren't cheap (no if you want to have service).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #58
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You don't work at one, do you? Data costs? There're other levels supporting data, and the maintenance costs aren't cheap (no if you want to have service).
you'll note i used the word "infrastructure" to assert that all of the front end stuff customers see, in particular support and maintenance costs DO cost, and isn't free. yup, real money.

still, i strongly feel they are nickel and diming us to death, and are generating vast profits for carrying bits around.

yes, we demand 24x7 uptime, and quality (something we don't actually get), and speed (another thing is often lacking)... some countries get it right. many do. the USA is behind on world cell communications, and compared to Japan, we're downright neolithic.

now with ATT wanting to surcharge my already being paid for SMS? and probably want to tack on $30 to use tethering, when i'm already paying a premium monthly fee for a low bandwidth low use connection? insane. nickels and dimes.

don't get me started on how much TV costs either. oh my god. especially with almost all the programming on "premium channels" and required minimum packages and gobs and gobs of shopping channels and very little real content. gods!

makes me appreciate my Kindles all the more. oh yes. reading. what a wonderful thing. Amazon giving me a free wireless network too? wow. sure doesn't compare to the $250/month people i know spend to get tv, phone (call and non cell), internet, and other "must have" services.

exReader
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #59
HansTWN
Wizard

Well Exreader, all that money that you Americans save on e-books, music downloads, and most electronics must go somewhere. Phone, internet, TV --- that is where they take it back! And I agree, AT&T, Verizon, etc they have by the balls. I always thought it was funny how Americans are so happy to get a USD 600 phone for $200 upfront with a 2 year contract for $70 each month. I would feel I was getting ripped off.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #60
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
you'll note i used the word "infrastructure" to assert that all of the front end stuff customers see, in particular support and maintenance costs DO cost, and isn't free. yup, real money.

still, i strongly feel they are nickel and diming us to death, and are generating vast profits for carrying bits around.
Quote:
makes me appreciate my Kindles all the more. oh yes. reading. what a wonderful thing. Amazon giving me a free wireless network too? wow. sure doesn't compare to the $250/month people i know spend to get tv, phone (call and non cell), internet, and other "must have" services.

exReader
I suppose that Amazon doesn't give you anything because the network doesn't belong to Amazon. They have an agreement in USA (not all the country as I've read) for an specific use and, if they want to use another networks, they've to get another agreements. I think you can't compare the two situations.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote