Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
bigdbo622
bigdbo622 began at the beginning.

Device: nono
Epub/public library

I am new to the ebook game and I am a little confused about epub and borrowing from libraries. I am looking to get my first ereader (Really considering the Velocity Cruz coming out in Sept or Sony Pocket Reader). It supports PDF and Epub among others. Will I be able to borrow ebooks from my public library (via overdrive - DRM Protected epub I believe) just because it supports epub format? Borrowing from the library is a key feature for me, since I don't want to feel obligated to purchase all of the books in my printed backlog. Is the Kindle to only ereader that cannot borrow library books?

Thanks.
bigdbo622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I don't know about the Velocity Cruz, but I believe the Sony should work fine. You really just need to confirm that they work with Adobe Digital Editions, which most modern epub readers do. With the exception of the iPad that is.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
bigdbo622

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
I don't know about the Velocity Cruz, but I believe the Sony should work fine. You really just need to confirm that they work with Adobe Digital Editions, which most modern epub readers do. With the exception of the iPad that is.
So, ebooks are borrowed and added to Adobe Digital Editions. As long as the device is compatible with Adobe Digital Editions, I should be able to read library books on the device. Do I have that correct?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup. Should work. ADE should just authorize your reader and let you load the books onto it. I know that's how it works with my Sony Touch edition.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Velocity Cruz is an Android device. At this time there are no Android apps that support Adobe DRM although Overdrive has said they're going to do one. Unless that is the Velocity Cruz folks have come up with their own software to support Adobe DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
bigdbo622

Thanks. The Bookeen Opus came back on sale for $80 (buy.com), so I bought that. Looks like it will fit my needs just fine.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
One thing to look out for, I think most library books are .pdfs or epubs, but I know at least here in Seattle, a good number are also MobiPocket. When I got my Sony Reader, one of the first things I did was check out some ebook from the library, only to quickly realize that it was .mobi and that the Sony doesn't like those. I imagine there's a way to get them on there by stripping DRM and converting, but I didn't bother. Still have yet to get an epub from the library, actually. I did get a .pdf, and now I see what all the complaints regarding reflow are about.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
zsmomma
zsmomma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, Pandigital Novel, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Velocity Cruz is an Android device. At this time there are no Android apps that support Adobe DRM although Overdrive has said they're going to do one. Unless that is the Velocity Cruz folks have come up with their own software to support Adobe DRM.
hmmm...I'm able to put library epub books from the SF library onto ADE and then transfer them to my Pandigital Novel, an Android device, no problem. That was the main reason I went w/ a PDN as a second reader.
zsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmomma View Post
hmmm...I'm able to put library epub books from the SF library onto ADE and then transfer them to my Pandigital Novel, an Android device, no problem. That was the main reason I went w/ a PDN as a second reader.
AnemicOak meant that there are no ADE compatible applications (ie based on the RMSDK) in the App Market on Android (yet). There are multiple Android Applications built on top of the RMSDK, they are just all on custom hardware (Nook, Alex, Edge, Novel, etc...)
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdbo622 View Post
Thanks. The Bookeen Opus came back on sale for $80 (buy.com), so I bought that. Looks like it will fit my needs just fine.
Do you have a link to the $80.00 Bookeen on buy.com? The only Bookeen I could find on buy.com was over $200.00.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
eric11210
Addict

It was on sale. The deal is gone now: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95879
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And at $219 it's not a very good deal at all. Either Bookeen lowers their price, or they won't really sell.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote