Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
wornways
wornways began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX: What's the scoop on book updates?

What happens if an author updates a book that you've purchased to a new revision after the fact? I'm noticing that there are a lot of books that are not well put together, but that some of them get updated periodically with a better formatted version. Are you able to download the updated copy without having to repurchase the book (Hasn't yet happened with a book I currently have).
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Amazon sends you an email telling you that the ebook has been updated, and you have to reply with "yes" if you want the update. The reason for this is that any notes and such will not be transferred to the new book, so they don't do the update automatically. When they get a "yes" reply, they update the book in your archive and whichever (if any) device you have it on at the time.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I talked to a CS person on the phone about this earlier today, because I've got a couple of books that have been updated (I'd e-mailed the authors with errors, and they told me they'd fixed them), but the ones in my archive weren't the updated versions.

Apparently they get updates all the time, most of which are minor, so they only e-mail people if the updates are major ones (the example he gave was if missing pages had been added). Otherwise, customers would get annoyed at the mass of "this ebook has been updated" they'd receive.

If you know that a given book has been updated, you can e-mail them and ask them to update your copy.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
wornways
wornways began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Great responses. Informative. Thank you very much people.
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote