Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
BooksOnBowser
Enthusiast
BooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
An expensive (newbie) mistake to make

Just bought a PRS300 and I'm generally loving it.

Based in the UK, have bought books from Waterstones, WhSmith as well as BooksOnBoard and Ebooks.com.

My issue is that I bought several books before my reader arrived; some I have found out where actually PDF's and not EPUB which means on the small font size it is barely readable and blowing up to medium doesn't format properly including broken words.

Just a warning to other newbies, if you are buying books with DRM (and I personally have no problem with that) steer clear of PDF's if you want them to look good on the pocket edition.

For the record the book was The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. The Digital Editions version was from ebooks.com, the EPUB version from WhSmith
BooksOnBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
And you've demonstrated a very good reason not to buy DRM-restricted ebooks. Also, for that matter, for buying from companies that only offer, or limit you to, one format.

If I buy a book from Baen, or O'Reilly, or BVC, I can go back any time and download it in a different format. If I replace my ebook reader with one that uses .mobi, for instance, and I'm too lazy to run my purchased ebooks through calibre to convert them, nice shiny copies in my preferred format are waiting for me on their websites. (well, at least except in the case of some O'Reilly books which are limited to pdf, probably because of layout)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Be careful, BoB ... VERY careful. Good to have your company. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
BooksOnBowser
Enthusiast
BooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
And you've demonstrated a very good reason not to buy DRM-restricted ebooks. Also, for that matter, for buying from companies that only offer, or limit you to, one format.
Thanks for that. I personally have no issues with DRM, as long as the restrictions are spelt out i.e only printing x number of pages or no printing allowed.

It is my own inexperience and naivety that led me to believe that EPUB secured by Adobe DE and a PDF secured by Adobe DE where in essence the same thing and would render the same. As I said expensive mistake to make!

As someone who is a self confessed gadget geek, I can only wonder how complex this whole issue appears to the outside world, the clear answer from a consumer point of view is buy from Waterstones or WhSmith (or the equivalent in your part of the world) as you know you'll get a good file.

I love my reader and i've had it two days. I don't read books, or should that be, until now I have not been a big reader but I find the choice of books, being able to switch at a moment is great.
BooksOnBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I feel the same way about PDFs on my Sony Touch Edition. Before I got it I considered its ability to read PDFs an advantage but now a PDF file is my absolute last choice for downloading and reading.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Remember that PDF's whole purpose is to present a page in exactly the same form no matter what it's viewed/printed on. Most of the time, that's a good thing; when you're transferring documents, you don't want them going and reformatting themselves because they think your monitor is a bit too tight around the collar. When you're trying to read that document on a PRS-300, or something even smaller, it becomes a bad thing. A Really Bad Thing. It's like looking through the wrong end of the telescope, and very few ebook devices can handle PDFs at all well. Sony's readers are most definitely not any of them.

I usually download my O'Reilly books in both epub and pdf. The former is for my 505, the latter is for my computer. That way, I get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, probably due to the tight formatting (tables, etc.) of many technical books, not all of them are available in epub. But I'm still hoping ... and since I bought my books from a bookseller who considers me their customer, not their enemy, if they do convert those holdout pdfs to epub, I can just go grab the format I need.

It's not which DRM a file is locked in that makes the difference -- it's the native format of the file. If you're reading something on your desktop, or even your laptop, PDF is ideal (though, of course, since it's DRM-locked, you're pretty restricted in what you can actually read it on). But if you're going to be reading it on a 5" device, or even a 6" device like the 505, 600, etc., epub is the way to go. Actually, for anything where exact layout isn't an issue (most fiction, for instance) it's probably safer to avoid pdf just out of paranoia -- it doesn't reflow, or reflow well, at the best of times.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I feel the same way about PDFs on my Sony Touch Edition. Before I got it I considered its ability to read PDFs an advantage but now a PDF file is my absolute last choice for downloading and reading.
I agree, it's the last option. Much easier to get epub/lrf, anyway!
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs300