Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
KingOfMyWorld
KingOfMyWorld began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, Touchpad, Kindle 2, Kindle Touch
Book Covers and Borders, Plus Italics Question

This site is great, it's a boon of information and the search function just couldn't get me the answers I was looking for, or at least not that I could find. I've just recently switched over to places like Google's partnership with Sony and Gutenberg and just am not the best so to speak on making them to my taste.

Device:
PRS-700
Owned: 1 Year
Problem/Question:

1.a) When I get an HTML just the way I want it and then try and convert it with Calibre, the book cover always turns out with "white borders" so to speak. Is there a way to make the covers stretch the full screen size? I'd really prefer to use Calibre as my one stop shop as opposed to my next question.

1.b) If not, I can get the full screen through BookDesigner, but just me being anal here; I would like to know if it's possible to remove the "This file was created with BookDesigner program" notice. Not that I mind the copyright style tag, just I'd like to be able to remove it, most specifically the date, I don't mind you knowing what program I used, but not when I did it. I tried removing it from the end of the file and it won't show up in the reader mode, but back in editor mode and after making the LRF file, it'll always appear on the end of the LRF.

2) When converting from the HTML file to the LRF or Epub file, will the HTML styling be kept, like will the italics and boldings stay or disappear?

3) Is there a way to change the default font with LRF files through Calibre? I like the Georgia font that I can use through the BookDesigner program but have no clue how to play with fonts in Calibre.
KingOfMyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfMyWorld View Post
1.a) When I get an HTML just the way I want it and then try and convert it with Calibre, the book cover always turns out with "white borders" so to speak. Is there a way to make the covers stretch the full screen size? I'd really prefer to use Calibre as my one stop shop as opposed to my next question.
Calibre keeps the aspect ratio of the cover graphic. So most covers will not fully fit the width of the screen.

Quote:
1.b) If not, I can get the full screen through BookDesigner, but just me being anal here; I would like to know if it's possible to remove the "This file was created with BookDesigner program" notice. Not that I mind the copyright style tag, just I'd like to be able to remove it, most specifically the date, I don't mind you knowing what program I used, but not when I did it. I tried removing it from the end of the file and it won't show up in the reader mode, but back in editor mode and after making the LRF file, it'll always appear on the end of the LRF.
Creating LRF via Bookdesigner has the "This file was created with BookDesigner program" notice and you cannot get rid of it.

Quote:
2) When converting from the HTML file to the LRF or Epub file, will the HTML styling be kept, like will the italics and boldings stay or disappear?
It will if you use Calibre to do the conversion. Italics are kept when the HTML is imported into Bookdesigner. But the bold usually is not and you'll have to put bold back in yourself.

Quote:
3) Is there a way to change the default font with LRF files through Calibre? I like the Georgia font that I can use through the BookDesigner program but have no clue how to play with fonts in Calibre.
Yes, you can change the default font with Bookdesigner for LRF. But I hightly do not recommend it. When you use an embedded font in LRF, it pages turns very slow. If you want to use embedded fonts, go ePub and do it that way. ADE is not slow at page turns for ePub with embedded fonts.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert