Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
PeonWhoCan
PeonWhoCan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
A few questions :(

Sorry if these have been asked ad nauseum, but I've spent a fair it of time looking and literally have come up with no answers. Mayb'e i'm just a terrible reader (which would make having a PRS300 a waste of time, no?)

anyways.

1. What formats can the PRS300 use? I had a friend give me a set of ebooks, the entire Hugo award winnign library. Some are .htm, some are .lit, some are .txt. I know that the 300 can handle PDF and ePub, but what about the others?

2. If it can't handle the htm's or txt's, what would you reccommend to format them? Should I just take this question to the formatting lounge? Probably, but I like to get a broad opinion. (I'll probably ask this over there too). Right now I'm thinking of using Calibre to convert the htm's/txt's to ePub, then using Sigil (I'm running OSX, but could use a PC if I got off my couch) to do any cleanups that need to be done.

3. From the main page, lets say i have 20 books. 7 are by JK Rowling (Couldn't help myself ), 5 are by Stephen King, the rest are by various authors. I know if i press the browse by book setting, it lists the books alphabetically, which is fine and dandy. What I want to know is if there is a way so that when I hit browse by author, I see something like this:

JK Rowling >>>>>> 0
Stephen King >>>>>1
Asimov >>>>>>>>>2

so that I can choose an author, select them, then see all their books, instead of seeing all the books just sorted by author. I'm only asking because there are around 60 books on my reader, and scrolling down through them takes forever. Is there a page down button i'm missing?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a nub. I know. :P
PeonWhoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The PRS300 can read LRF, ePub, PDF, RTF, and TXT. For RTF, it's good to start with a very large font size--I use 17 pt; some people prefer 20 or 22.

The .lit and .html files can be converted with Calibre or Sony's library software. (I recommend Calibre.) You don't need to convert the TXT files, but it's nice to have the metadata (title, author), and you won't get that with TXT.

The sort-by-author doesn't work that way. Sony's sorting is limited. AFAIK, all the ebook readers have limited sorting functions that nobody's really happy with. However, you can use Calibre or the Sony Library to create collections, which allow grouping the way you'd like the authors to be grouped.

(And if you think 60 books takes a while to sort through... I keep over 400 on my PRS-505.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Welcome to MobileRead, PeonWhoCan!

The prs300 does not support the format you list, but calibre can easily convert them. Calibre is a powerful tool, and I would advise you to use it for more that just conversions.

In the sony readers, you can organise your books with collections. If you load your books on calibre, you'll see that you can edit metadata and add tags. Each tag you add will be a collection on your reader. If you want to browse your books by author, add a tag with the author's name to each book. Alternatively, or additionally, you can add a tag with the genre of the book, a tag specifying if you've read it or not and so on. A book can appear in multiple collections at once.

I hope I've answered your questions. I don't have a 300, but I do have a 505 and a 600, and I believe the collections work in the same way in all of them.

Have fun with your new reader!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread, PeonWhoCan

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
PeonWhoCan
PeonWhoCan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks for the welcomes and the quick responses guys. I know I'm going to love it here
PeonWhoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As the others have said, Calibre converts and does a great job.... it's what I use as well....

For fun you can also use this link to convert online to epub... http://www.2epub.com/

Once you get the hang of your reader, you will do fine.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote