Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
qwerty78
qwerty78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
My first custom cover, made to look like a book

I decided to get my wife a Kindle 2 for her birthday. I was then browsing around various Kindle sites and stubbled upon this thread about converting a beautiful Italian leather address book to a Kindle cover. I thought it would be really nice to make her a cover myself. It has been years since I have worked with leather. Turns out I need to learn a lot more and practice. I wanted to have a quote embossed on the front cover, in the leather, but that was not possible given the time constraints I was under. I have since ordered a real book about working with leather to increase my skills.

I though I'd post some pictures here so people can see what I was able to do. I went to my local arts and crafts store and picked up some 1/32" plywood, some foam, leather, and some felt. I wrapped the leather around a sheet of the plywood. Took another sheet of plywood and put foam over it, then covered that with felt. Then put those two pieces together, to form one half of the "book".

I really liked the hinge or attachment that Amazon uses in their case, so I removed that from the Amazon case to use in mine. (About this same time I ordered a used Amazon case at Amazon, as a backup incase my custom cover did not turn out.)

In the end, I don't think it turned out too bad for my first attempt. I have not done arts-n-crafts in many many years. This is the first Kindle in our family and I am now finding a good used one for myself. I plan to make a custom cover for myself, only this time I will have all the time I want and hopefully more knowledge about working with leather.

Please excuse the poor picture quality, I was lazy and took them in poor light with my phone.

Last edited by qwerty78; 07-19-2009 at 01:40 PM.
qwerty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Beautifully done. I'm sure that your wife is going to enjoy the cover as well as the Kindle.

Oh! Welcome to MobileRead.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Very nice. One think that cover has which the Oberon and MEdge ones doesn't is all the TLC you put into it. I'm sure your wife will love it... You are getting major hubby points for this one.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote